knife sharpener.....

jimbo1

I use a kitchen devil £6 roller on my global kitchen knives, it makes them into shaving razors. It is useless on a folding/hunter/general use knife.

For them -

Get yourself an A4 piece of marine ply and glue a sheet of course wet and dry on one side and fine on the other. It's surprising what you can do with that for a few pence.

Have a look at the Lansky sharpening kit. It holds the knife still allowing you to use different oil-stones kept at a consistent angle, resulting in a very good edge on all blades.

Here is one. Depending on how much your happy to spend you can buy a set with extra stones, either extra course for sorting out blades that are in a bad way, extra fine for an even better finish, or a stone for serrated blades.

Edited by bedwards1966

I use a fakaniven DC4 (i think its called), I only use the ceramic side and you can shave with the knife afterwards. It's small though so not good for big blades but It's easy to carry with you. I'm a bit put off by the roller sharpeners as you can't control the angle of the edge unlike stones, which allow you to sharpen different blades easily.

I use a fakaniven DC4 (i think its called), I only use the ceramic side and you can shave with the knife afterwards. It's small though so not good for big blades but It's easy to carry with you. I'm a bit put off by the roller sharpeners as you can't control the angle of the edge unlike stones, which allow you to sharpen different blades easily.

I've just bought a Fallkniven DC4 from the auction site but it's not arrived yet. I only intend to use it if I'm out, but I've read good things about them.

For nice knives I like japanese water stones but for kitchen and pen knives I use a £10 bladetech. You can easily get on E-bay.

I agree re the Japanese waterstone, Axminster Tools do some excellent deals on them, much cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. I bought a blade tech a game fair but found it awful - it chewed chunks out the blade and blunted it! :oops: Maybe I just got a bad one? :hmm:

For nice knives I like japanese water stones but for kitchen and pen knives I use a £10 bladetech. You can easily get on E-bay.

Same here mate. The bladetech knife sharpener has been the best one that I have so far come across. It uses carbide to sharpen your blade. I found this to work good on stainless and carbon steel.

cheers for the responses lads.....looks like its gonna be the DC4 i reckon !! :yes::good:

My DC4 arrived yesterday and it's brilliant. I've tried all sorts of stones and sharpening systems and it's the best portable one by far. Puts a superb edge on the dullest knife really quickly. All my kitchen knives are now razor sharp after testing it! From now on it will be my Japanese Waterstone for sharpening at home and the DC4 as a back up when I'm out