Dave-G

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Dave.

No prob mate , i wanted some and i am hoping that some others will want some and you did your bit. Beetween you & Ash supplied us all with a lot of good info.

Chubbs.

Yes spacers as well mate.

I'll take a set when they arrive then, just let me know.

hi been reading the many posts for this thread but just have a few questions i need help with.

What sort of distance can you expect with the red light in its different modifications??

What about the IR replacment, is that just a straight swap with no mod? What sort of range would i be expecting to see with that??

cheers

hi been reading the many posts for this thread but just have a few questions i need help with.

What sort of distance can you expect with the red light in its different modifications??

What about the IR replacment, is that just a straight swap with no mod? What sort of range would i be expecting to see with that??

cheers

I agree the thread became drawn out due to the group buy padding out the posts - but go through it again - the answers are there.

LED units are straight swaps. I just know I wrote somewhere that white, red or IR ones can be swapped into the torch. That is why it's so usefull to so many of us. :)

I also know I wrote down the distances that can be expected with the red LED as purchased (air), with the DX lenses(mainstream HMR) and lower centrefire with the ahorton kit. Others have written down the distances to be expected with IR LED's in their particular kit - one even put a video up.

No offence here mate but the best way to get you to realise your last question is unanswerable is by pointing out that just like your skip reading, you have missed out important details from the question... we dont know what Nv kit you are using. :oops:

The better your NV is - the further it will see - and I personally don't have the answer for that because I have not tried dozens of NV types. :)

Edited by Dave-G

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quiet on here now innit? All of you lads who bought either lensed formats of this lamp ought to have found the time to evaluate them by now so how about telling everyone else? If you don't I'll send the bogeyman out to follow you next time you go out in the dark on your own. :yes:

One bit of feedback I have had is that the brass pills the led's are built on appear to have quite a large thread tolerance - which matches their head and tail cap thread tolerances... erratic like they are probably made by more than one machine or time.

If All of Chubbs sets have gone I can let another set go now as I am pursuing another route for my long range night vision requirements - which these will not provide.

Did I say I'll send the bogey... oh yea. :D

What kinda torch are these for? Ill have one if i can pick up the torch from ebay.

:good: My link to the torch is in the first post of this thread mate, Get the kettle on and have a good read of the entire thread to learn all you need to know about it. I'll PM you my Paypal account details.

Edited by Dave-G

Dave, I just PM's Chubbus, but should it have been you? How many kits are left?

Chubbus is handling this now - I just have'nt used all four of mine as the cheaper DX ones do most of my air or rimfire needs fine, and I just swap out the torch heads on some.

dave-g, what sort of torch and camera set up you planning on using for long range night vision?

Allready have the Watec sets. There are breaking IR LED illuminator developments on the nightvision forum that I'm looking at but not yet buying as the main location I intended to use the add-on and in car spotter at are now much less accessible which means I shall only invest when the items are at low cost and low time input.

I've been wondering why this thread dried up so quickly and have concluded it's probably because the orders are going in privately at Chubbs request. Point is that we don't see any bumping of this thread so a lot of potential new business may be lost as a result, and having ordered privately they may keep their findings private too.

I'm frankly a little dissapointed about how many members indicated either publically or privately that they would let us or me know how they got on with it. Come on chaps - good or bad, talk to us - it's good to talk.

Hi All

Well, responding to Dave-Gs call to keyboard my experience is as follows:

- Acquired the torch recommended by AshH - white led. Transplanted the kit as received from Dave-G - to my (older eyes) does focus the beam tighter/further, so a result. Torch to go in stalking bum-bag. Looks good down the street (street-lit etc) and likely good for 80-100m.

- Acquired the torch used by Dave-G - red led. Chubbus's kit used in transplant. Issue 1. the spacer did not allow the housing holding the lens, spacer & reflector to engage on the torch body threads so cannot optimise focussing. Chatted through with AH - options seem to be do without spacer (down side - lens protrudes..), reduce spacer by 5mm, or use original retainer but set back 5mm (aluminium so would require painting...). without spacer can just about optimise focus and seems to be at least up to the white led. Additional tinkering that likely not allowed for.

Both need to be tried out in the field, away from any street/background lighting, and on a dark night. Suspect will have significantly inproved the 'throw' of the WB501 torches as acquired.

My experience so far - the WB501 torches from different providers are slightly different, dimensions, construction, contacts (white led has a solid contact for the end cap (as per cigar lighter) - red led has a spring etc.) - not major but worth bearing in mind.

Also acquired the AH recomended Xtar charger & batteries - reduced offer was accepted and got Panasonic (protected) batteries (reduces risk from over charging) and cant argue with the service from this provider in H-K.

Summary - worth the effort: (using my eyes) yes for rimfire/lower end (hard-hat on) hmr use. Given the negligible weight/size of the torches on a rifle (compared to a specific lamping one) but allowing for certainly less than the X-candlepower ones for 'spotting' - fit for (my) purpose.

Phew.........

L

I've got the poor mans dealextreme ones and am happy enough with the results, I've not been able to test the range properly to see if there is a noticeable difference, the beam I definitely tighter though.

Ive go one red and one green and my green i by far the better of the two, throws out a lot more light, green is 230lumns allegedly and the red is 200lumen allegedly so that may have something to do with it but the difference is vast so I personally think if you want more range go for green even if your not modding it, It doesn't seem to scare them any more/less so may as well get that bit more range.

I'd definitely do the mod even if you are only doing the cheap one, I'll be upgrading as and when I can afford it.

Atb Gary

Thanks lads. :mellow:

I too found the Ahorton set only allowed the head to screw on a couple of turns at best on one and not any threads on the other.

My fix was to swap the Ahorton lens with the plain lens without using the small spacer. That causes it to protrude from the head of the torch a lot but it's not a problem because the torch is permanantly fitted to the rifle rather than rubbing on keys or coins etc in the pocket. This route means the spring at the back end of the brass threaded pill does't quite reach the battery - don't stretch it because you'll accidently pull it off the solder. Extend the spring a little with a miniature screw that fits into the spring. This may also mean that the large spacer won't quite achieve best focus unless you file a little off the back end so that it travels slightly further onto the brass before it comes to a halt at the larger spring coil.

Edited by Dave-G