Getting the meat off

Lancs Lad

All......

I want to take in some wabbit pies for the people at work. Only going to do small pies...

Whats the best way of getting the meat of the rabbit to make it go into the pie...

Ive been boning the things out, taking legs etc etc and removing the meat from the saddle..

I think I saw somthing one here that suggested boiling and then picking the meat off the bones...is that right.:welcomeani:??

Its great to get people at work trying new things, they have benefited from venison, full rabbits, pigeon......

Easy!

All I do is stew the rabbits for a couple of hours in the kind ofthing I want to have in the pie.

I do mine with cellery, carrots, onions and bacon, and a sauce made from cider, honey and mustard (one good tsp of each per 500ml of cider) , a couple of Knorr chicken stiock cubes, plus some thyme.

Once it is at the point where the meat is easy to pick off the bone, I take it off the heat and let it cool. Then I pick the meat off, strain and reduce the sauce a little and then make a pie base in a greased oven proof casserole dish using puff pastry. The veg I want to keep for the pie (all of it in my case) is then chopped intp pie-sized peices. The meat, sauce and veg goes back in, followed by a lid of puff pastry, which is then egg washed. I then give it 25-35 mins in a farily hot oven. It helps if you get one of those little devices which lets the steam out. Either way, make sure to make a cross in the pie to let steam out, or the pastry may distegrate.

If you want to make cold pies for picnics, throw a pigs trotter or pork hock in for gelatine, which wll make the pie sliceable cold. You can either put the trotter/hoc meat in the pie, or have it as sandwich meat.

Hope this works for you

ZB

Edited to include steam releasing thingy

A tip given to me from a Chef friend of mine:

Get a large pan of boiling water and add roughly chopped onion, celery, carrot, salt and peppercorns, drop the rabbi9t into the pan and simmer for 3 hours. Remove the rabbit and allow to cool, sieve the remaining liquor and use as a stock for your pie. When the rabbit ios cool the meat will fall off the bone and the tendons will have disolved.You can flavour the cooking liquor as you want which will infuse into the rabbit meat. :welcomeani: