1914 christmas tin.

Daveo26

Iv just been given a 98 year old brass tin. Its a Christmas tin from 1914

It was issued to all serving men at christmas in 1914.

Some had a small pipe, an ounze of tabacco, 20 cigs for the smokers

Sweets, a postcard and a pencil for non smokers and boys.

Id read about them but never seen one until my mate presented it to me yesterday.

What an item, If objests could talk!!!!

Anyone else got one?

There are a lot of them about. If anyone whats one you can pick them up of ebay. They are lovely items,. And as one member has said "If it could only talk"

The only ones that have any real value are the full ones. There are not that many of them about.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-THE-PRINCESS-MARY-CHRISTMAS-TIN-1914-ORIGINAL-/310401169930?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item484559fa0a#ht_1183wt_1037

One empty Christmas tin here for sale at buy it now £45.00

Edited by halight

It looks nice sitting in my Study (man cave) next to my great Grandads Mills bomb he brought home (its safe):good:

Fantastic, i love all that kind of stuff. Better than a antique pot worth ten times the amount. I think they should all be worth so much more and i have thought before how many are buried in the fields in France with their owners in unmarked graves :no:

Fantastic, i love all that kind of stuff. Better than a antique pot worth ten times the amount. I think they should all be worth so much more and i have thought before how many are buried in the fields in France with their owners in unmarked graves :no:

yeah totally agree my grandad left me his dads 1907 wilkinson sword bayonet 18 inches of history even got a piccy of him on the somme .very lucky family both grandads come back from WW1 :good:

My Dad had one, he died when he was 95.

It was originally given to the old boy who lived next door to him, when he served in the trenches. The guy never smoked, and the contents were all still there, only the cigarettes had been opened, but none taken. It was almost as if he was tempted, but resisted :P

I know he had a bad time in the trenches, and he probably thought "What the hell, I'm not going to get out of here, I might as well have a fag".

I expect my Mum's still got it, I'm going down to see her next weekend, I'll see if I can get a photo of it.

Edited by Chard

My Dad had one, he died when he was 95.

It was originally given to the old boy who lived next door to him, when he served in the trenches. The guy never smoked, and the contents were all still there, only the cigarettes had been opened, but none taken. It was almost as if he was tempted, but resisted :P

I know he had a bad time in the trenches, and he probably thought "What the hell, I'm not going to get out of here, I might as well have a fag".

I expect my Mum's still got it, I'm going down to see her next weekend, I'll see if I can get a photo of it.

I would love to see or own a complete one. I am very jealous.

I've got one,was my Great Grandfathers,it contains his service medals in a small white cardboard box,East Yorkshire Regiment Cap Badge and a cut in half silver sixpence along with a few other bits and pieces :good:

Shortly after the war he recieved his papers to become a British Subject....bet that wouldn't happen these days ;)

Azzurri

My Mother has two one which belonged to her father (Glos Hussars)which must originally have been issued to another soldier has his regiment did not disembark in Gallipolli until 1915. It is a minter with pipe, tobacco, cigarettes, lighter and card all intact although the card is stained. It also contains a regimental cloth badge. Last valued at £250 about 5 years ago.. Even if it wasnt issued to my Grandad shes not going to part with it in her lifetime.

The second is empty and was issued to my late Grandmother who was a 19 year old nurse in xmas 1914 she died in 1993 at the age of 98. It was full of chocolate. No one knows where she served but we do know she was on a hospital ship which is where they both met. Neither spoke much of what they saw all I can remember is that Gramp was gassed, fought hand to hand with the turks was only 15 survivors of 85 in his company and although he hated the turks with a passion had a great respect for their fighting prowess. After the war he returned to his village where he was an agricultural labourer and gran went to work in service in a large house nearby.

Over 2.5 million were issued after unprescedented public fund raising campagne in 1914

Edited by Fisherman Mike

I've got one,was my Great Grandfathers,it contains his service medals in a small white cardboard box,East Yorkshire Regiment Cap Badge and a cut in half silver sixpence along with a few other bits and pieces :good:

Shortly after the war he recieved his papers to become a British Subject....bet that wouldn't happen these days ;)

Azzurri

Don Rizzoni <_<

You'll sleep with da fishes........... :P