wild rabbits

gfl1991

Train them for what though? Not game shooting as they don't do it. So that leaves wild fowling and rough shooting where it's just not the same.

Rabbit pens are simply a controlled environment much the same as using a long lead or all sorts of other training aids that the dog will in theory know its wearing. Pens you can get onto the dog fast it's simply one step not a long term training

who doesn't shoot game?

A pen IMO has many uses, kent a decent pen IMO will be a couple acres with plenty of cover and so, when used for training a close hunting spaniel only overuse of the pen will make the dog overly familiar with the area, just the same as training on the same piece of ground every day.

The main point of a pen , again IMO, is you KNOW you will find rabbits. For those of us who are not fortunate enough to be tripping over rabbits close to home, that is the important bit.

A pen IMO has many uses, kent a decent pen IMO will be a couple acres with plenty of cover and so, when used for training a close hunting spaniel only overuse of the pen will make the dog overly familiar with the area, just the same as training on the same piece of ground every day.

The main point of a pen , again IMO, is you KNOW you will find rabbits. For those of us who are not fortunate enough to be tripping over rabbits close to home, that is the important bit.

Agree with that William,taking a spaniel training to the same ground with no rabbits they soon loose their drive.

What i find is that handlers want to get them on game before they have got their dog on the stop whistle.

IMO even a pen won't help much,but will stop the dog chasing rabbits into the next county. :lol: :lol:

Kent hence not needing to steady a dog on rabbits to quite the same extent.

I dont shoot game but i do shoot rabbits and i have a major issue living here if the dog aint steady to rabbits you could never do a darn thing but chase them across the fields as soon as the kennel door was opened :lol:

Yes,yes,yes. Why do PW members go off on a "i know more" rant and name dropping exersizes (of persons they dont personally even know most of the time) without even reading the posts they are acting critics of. 100% agree and its 75% of my point "the dog knows were it is" the other 25% say is size and cover types.

Yes,yes,yes. Why do PW members go off on a "i know more" rant and name dropping exersizes (of persons they dont personally even know most of the time) without even reading the posts they are acting critics of. 100% agree and its 75% of my point "the dog knows were it is" the other 25% say is size and cover types.

Can you clarify please? I'm not sure if you're having a go at me or disagreeing with me, or indeed agreeing with me? :look:

Edited by WGD

Can you clarify please? I'm not sure if you're having a go at me or disagreeing with me? :look:

I think since Ackley left he's just not quite sure who to argue with anymore. There is an interesting thing with the Kent being always right, in this case the majority of gundog trainers who seem to advertise rabbit pens must all be wrong as a huge number have rabbit pens and use them.

Can you clarify please? I'm not sure if you're having a go at me or disagreeing with me, or indeed agreeing with me? :look:

Yes, agreeing it seems some on here (not yourself) cannot actually read only type :rolleyes: I am being mis quoted here as not likeing any pens to clarify

Pens that are like an acre or so in size are great, especially idf they have various cover and open ground. silly little chicken run size things in a suburban garden are fairly useless and its far better to get out to land that contains rabbits in numbers on your days off etc.

Did anyone suggest chicken run sized pens? I'm a little lost at that point

The OP lives nr Manchester, ever been? sounds like a suburban garden to me Al4X. How big is a chicken run anyway? i mean smaller things out on the lawn of the average back garden etc. The rabbit encounters must be managed but not expected or obvious were and quite when to the dog

You really need to get out more, there are green areas round Manchester. Now we know why you sounded quite so much like you'd never seen a rabbit pen and were confusing the thread entirely

thanks i never new that after living 45 mins away for 30 yrs and working there for over 20yrs

• 3 months later...

" Pens that are like an acre or so in size are great, especially idf they have various cover and open ground. silly little chicken run size things in a suburban garden are fairly useless and its far better to get out to land that contains rabbits in numbers on your days off etc."

please dont say that , i,m currently gathering the materials to build one .

i was hoping to have a few chickens and a few rabbits ( maybe 3 of each ) in the pen then out into the ( secure ) garden for training purposes .

the youngest dog as seen and retrieved dead game , but not had chance to encounter live as yet.

would it be a waste of time ???