Quick query... are cuckoos on the general license?

WelshLamb

As has already been stated, to shoot under the general licence you must have read and understood it.

This is true. However most people only retain the info on what they commonly shoot. When they think about shooting something else they should refresh their memory of the rules pertaining to that species.

They can of course reread the general licence (which everyone should from time to time) or they can ask on a knowledgeable forum like this. If people who ask honest questions are treated with hostility it could lead some people not seeking out the knowledge.

The op asked a question, got an answer and accepted it. More people increased their knowledge as a result. I for example did not know the status of cuckoos, I do now. That is one the great benefits of this forum, I get answers to questions I would never have thought to ask.

Oh woe is me I'm off to surrender my guns :lol: I'm obviously not fit to keep them

How very dare I ask a shooting related question on a shooting forum :lol:

If you don't want to read the licence go and shoot clays. simples :lol:

if you read the op's post it was just a question ! get off your high horse's about wanting to shoot it because it's there .

it's remarks and posters like this that have made pw loose good members ! pathetic little jibes .

I think you will find that as the OP is a member of BASC, all she needed to do was to look at their web site and she would have got the answer.

As an aside - in the autumn swallow chicks fly to Africa by following their parents in a flock. The cuckoo chick also flies to Africa but on its own - how does it manage that being raised by a surragate parent whoes longest journey is perhaps 10 miles??

Edited by dicehorn

SERIOUSLY!?!?!?! :o Somebody take this question down. 1. it's daft 2. if anyone reads the thread who is anti-fieldsports it will do us no favours.

errr. no such thing as a daft question.

any one reading the thread will see a sensible person requesting a sensible answer.

Why do some people look for a reason to shoot anything that flies. What next shooting woodpeckers for damaging trees or shooting king fishers to protect fish stocks.

Interesting to note that Great Spotted Woodpeckers are well known for eating other birds eggs and chicks.

It's thought by some that the decline in the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker is partly due to predation from the more aggressive and territorial GSW.

Not saying that's a reason to shoot them, far from it, but it's not just corvids that take other birds eggs and offspring.

any one reading the thread will see a sensible person requesting a sensible answer.

Hmmm......perhaps that's how they see things in the Wirral, but anybody with an ounce of common sense and a basic knowledge of shooting would beg to differ..??

No sensible person would ever contemplate shooting a Cuckoo, I think this thread highlights the fact that pretty much any idiot in this Country can acquire a SGC, unlike most of our European neighbours, where a Fieldsports and Quarry recognition test has to be passed before said idiot is let loose in the field to blast away at whatever happens to be flying past.

I suspect that the OP is having a bit of a wind up, but if not let's just hope I never get anywhere near him/her on a Pheasant drive..!! :yes:

Cat.

Like so many others on here I cant understand how anyone could even think of asking this question. I would think by the age of 9 when I got my first air rifle I knew what I could and could not shoot and certantly knew cuckoos were out of bounds. As a youngster I devoured every shooting book and magazine I could get my hands on ( and still do ) and before I pulled a trigger I had a solid grounding on shooting. Such a question should never need to be asked , you should know what you can and cannot shoot before you even buy a gun let alone use it.

The cuckoo is one of the iconic birds of our countryside and needs as much help as possible if my children are going to be able to hear it calling in the herald of spring.

dead on. someone asking 'can I shoot cuckoos?'. Yep, that's a perfectly sensible question. Oh, and of course the rationale for the question. 'cuckoo's kill other wee birds, so I reckon their just like magpies'. How's about 'can I shoot barn owls?' or, 'Green woodpeckers?', or maybe a 'red-backed shrike or two?' or perhaps a few 'Great Skua's?'. There are many good questions asked, about decoying, crops, how much lead, the weather etc.. on this site. 'Can I shoot cuckoo's?' is definitely not one of them.

Edited by Dr D

Perhaps if some body had asked if they could shoot water fowl with lead shot, before they done it, the general licence would now, not be under the public's eye, or would that question have been met with just as much hostility as WL's question ? I'm pretty sure Pigeon Watch was set up to bring shooters together for support and knowledge, ( thank you Mod's ) not to be hammered. Come on people, bit of tolerance, A ?

Edited by flyshooter

I think we all agree that it is wise for shooters to be aware of what they can and cannot shoot.

Pinned at the top of this section is a link to the BASC website and the General Licence.

If you open the link and then go to "Click here for the 2012 English general licences" (assuming you live in England, but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are also available).

On the Natural England page that opens, click on "What activities can you carry out under General Licence and for which species?"

On this page scroll down to "Prevention of damage or disease" and you can download a PDF with a current vermin list, plus other detail.