f a c and shotgun interview friday

well got phone call this morning asking be ok for interview friday morning so big day friday morning . got two big dogs so will have to lock up in pen last thing i need is one off the dogs going for him that would be end off getting ticket just wondering du they check house out for security and is it like an interview with him asking lots off questions . or and i better not forget tea and biscuits lol

Mine was just SGC, however it was a chat over coffee. Started by going through the form, and the answers I gave, followed by basics like; Why do I want a gun, where will I shoot, what do I know of gun safety. They then asked about gun security, where would I keep the gun, who lives in the property, where did I plan to put the safe etc. They had a quick look at the doors and windows to check that they were all secure. And finally went through what the SGC looks like, and how to use it, as well as how to register shotguns with them.

Interestingly they mentioned my dogs were a good plus point as they would act as an alarm :)

I believe that the interview shouldn't be anything to worry about. The wait afterwards is the hard part :(

Like Roester mine was only SGC, but the guy couldn't have been more efficient.

Checked where the cabinet was and that it was secured to the wall,(I'd decided to put it in, as even if I'd been refused we were going to use it as safe for passports etc,); sat down at kitchen table; interviewed - just normal questions; spoke to my son, put his gear away and left. SGC arrived only a fortnight later.

The FEO was helpful, sensible and said that in the majority of cases the interview is almost a formality due to the number of background checks that have been made.

Best of luck, hope the dog doesn't start humping legs inappropriately! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

waiting on my SGC interview at the moment, I have no idea why, well apart from the fact i have always hated tests and interviews but thinking of the interview has got me real nervous.. what will they ask, will i give wrong answers etc... seems from reading this its ok, I must remember not to crack any inapropriate jokes about shooting neighbours dog... my guess is they may not see the funny side of it :blink:

with the actual check they perform, is it just making sure the house is secure and the cabinet is bolted down correctly or do they have a good snoop around to try and evaluate us from what they see in our homes... dont mind either way as i have notrhing to hide, im just wondering

The check wasn't anything much for me. A quick look at the doors and windows to check their condition, and they didn't look at anything else in the home at all. I would have said that they are not there to catch you out, however when I popped into my local police station to enquire about the SGC application form (and made it clear this was a first time application), their first question was "how many shotguns do you currently own". My answer was obviously none, however it did feel like they were having a go at catching me out in case I had "acquired" one before applying. (Although there are cases of people inheriting without realising of the need of a license so maybe this was fair).

I didn't have a safe when they looked round, so they couldn't check that, however I believe that if you do have one they might give it a quick tug just to check that it actually is connected to the wall.

The interview isn't anything to worry about, and not really looking for wrong answers. Just answer truthfully and the best of luck to you.

generally its a tick box exersize. What is your alcohol intake, storage, names of others at address, alarm, dog, whats the gun for, are you on any medication etc.

Securtity has guidelines but requirements are balanced on number of guns, type of guns and location. if you live on a steet of 30 houses were there have been 25 burgalries last year its gonna be different than a gated comunity with private security potrols and no reported crime in the entire area.

With regards firearms expect to be asked about your knoledge of maximum range and what constitutes a safe shot

The house checks are normally very minor - last interview I had the FEO never went anywhere other than the room the cabinet was in.

Depending on what they think of the area (i.e is it a high crime area?) they might want to see if you've an alarm fitted, good locks etc, but it's not going to be major, they just want to make sure it's all reasonably secure. If they aren't happy they'll say so, and tell you/suggest what to improve.

They'll check your cabinet if it's already installed, they might even try to pull it off the wall to check it's secured properly.

Basically the 'interview' (chat would be a more appropriate description) is just to check you aren't a psycho with any drink/drug/racist/aggressive problems, and to talk you through the certificates and buying guns etc, and safety. Don't worry about the safety questions, they're very basic and you can't really get them wrong as the FEO will tell you the answers. It's more them telling you about how they should be handled than a quiz on you.

They're normally friendly people who aren't trying to catch you out (they normally want to help), and will happily answer any questions you have.

waiting on my SGC interview at the moment, I have no idea why, well apart from the fact i have always hated tests and interviews but thinking of the interview has got me real nervous.. what will they ask, will i give wrong answers etc... seems from reading this its ok, I must remember not to crack any inapropriate jokes about shooting neighbours dog... my guess is they may not see the funny side of it :blink:

with the actual check they perform, is it just making sure the house is secure and the cabinet is bolted down correctly or do they have a good snoop around to try and evaluate us from what they see in our homes... dont mind either way as i have notrhing to hide, im just wondering

Waiting on mine too, sent the form off Monday last week so expecting the phone call soon.

A SGC/FAC holder at work said today that the FEO does try to shake the cabinet to try to pull it off the wall. Hopefully 6 rawl bolts will do the trick :good:

My interview was fairly straight forward although rigorous as NI Firearms Laws are a little tighter than most elsewhere. Generally ask about firearm safety, what you will shoot, and WILL check your storage arrangements. If you don't have them for the initial interview they will return before granting it therefore to speed up the process I had mine installed prior to first interview. The ask about what safety measures you have, i.e. sensor lights, alarm, is the house often unattended, do you have dogs etc. It is usually quite informal though and most are dead on and will give you a few stories of their past experiences.

my application has been in almost three weeks now and no call for an interview, apart from my impatients to get started it isnt a problem so im not worried but im of work next week do you guys think its worth dropping them an email to let them know that ill be of work and at home should they wish to call in on short notice

It is usually quite informal though and most are dead on and will give you a few stories of their past experiences.

ive heard the current FEO for south wales isnt that nice, ive spoen to a few people who said the old guy was brilliant but the new one is a real stickler and not that plesant.. hopefully im wrong

my application has been in almost three weeks now and no call for an interview, apart from my impatients to get started it isnt a problem so im not worried but im of work next week do you guys think its worth dropping them an email to let them know that ill be of work and at home should they wish to call in on short notice

You can try asking for nothing, a phone call might be a better way of doing it. The FEO's phone number might be on their forces website, failing that an e-mail.

But don't get your hopes up.

my application has been in almost three weeks now and no call for an interview

I would expect a wait of 3 months min, some of the newbies at the club are waiting anywhere upto 5 months!

ive heard the current FEO for south wales isnt that nice, ive spoen to a few people who said the old guy was brilliant but the new one is a real stickler and not that plesant.. hopefully im wrong

I've never had any problems with any of the south wales firearms staff, they have always been efficient and given a good service, not sure which feo you are refering to?

Edited by englishman-in-wales

ive no idea, to be honest im going from what a couple of people have said to me, they may have been arsey with him so if they got it back its their fault.... at the end of the day im a sensible guy (same job for 24 years, community councillor and invoved in other things in my community) have never had any issues with the police and have cctv, a good alarm system and a cracking gun safe burried away so i should have no issues. as for time, yes it would be nice to have it tomorrow but it'll take what it takes... longer i have to wait the more ill have saved up for a gun :)

ive no idea, to be honest im going from what a couple of people have said to me, they may have been arsey with him so if they got it back its their fault.... at the end of the day im a sensible guy (same job for 24 years, community councillor and invoved in other things in my community) have never had any issues with the police and have cctv, a good alarm system and a cracking gun safe burried away so i should have no issues. as for time, yes it would be nice to have it tomorrow but it'll take what it takes... longer i have to wait the more ill have saved up for a gun :)

how come takes so long from your neck off woods mate took mine 7 week from start to finish got f a c and shotgun ticket monday there just slow or realey busey wereyu are :hmm:

i believe south wales police are one of the hardest hit financially so maybe one of their cutbacks is fireams dept... not sure really as i'm new to all this, maybe one of the experienced south wales certificate holders can answer better

i believe south wales police are one of the hardest hit financially so maybe one of their cutbacks is fireams dept... not sure really as i'm new to all this, maybe one of the experienced south wales certificate holders can answer better

prob mate just a waiting game then keep us posted how yu go on mate :good: