Border Terrier

Vipa

Guys...

Moving on from my vasectomy thread :oops: I need to find a happy place... find a happy place... find a happy place!

Looks like the wife has caved and I'm going to get me a border!

The big question.....

What would you owners/breeders suggest... dog or bitch?

I was erring towards a bitch but then really want to call it Hamish so am now thinking dog. If we get a bitch it will be spayed (if that makes any difference,) if dog.... the jury's out but it may well get to keep it's nuts!

What are the pros and cons of each (if any?)

Thanks chaps

Paul

I have a male intact border who is coming up to 3 in August, there has been absolutely no need to remove his nuts as he is brilliantly behaved.

He is a fantastic little dog with so much character and bravery.

One thing I would say is that he does have a cramping syndrome which the vets cannot work out - he has seizures which is he concious throughout and tries to get to me but his back and leg muscles cramp up and make him fall over and stagger about. There is much debate as to what this is but it seems common in borders and is referred to as canine epileptoid cramping syndrome or spikes disease. I have to admit I have established this position myself from Internet research and I have established that it is high protein food which causes the episodes as if he is given meat, it happens a day or do after. No big deal now as he just has dried food.

I am not writing this to put you off the breed as they are truly brilliant dogs and I would have another if I could, but just as a warning to ask potential breeders whether they are aware of any epilepsy or similar.

I have a full pedigree for my dog so if you need any information just let me know.

There are no cons to border ownership! Just keep and eye on them when teething as the jaw strength is incredible. Fantastic with kids and other dogs (unless the other dogs shows aggression then the teeth come out) but mine hates all small furry things including cats!

Anthony

I'd always have bitches as I find they are slightly less head strong but its really a personal thing. They do make good dogs the only things to watch for are some are more working bred than others, of those some will go to ground on whatever they can which can be bad news. If you're thinking of one for stalking they can be great for finding deer but can be noisy during the process which is good if you let them off but not so good before the shot. Really they are best left in the truck till you need them a keeper here used to have some and they were used for beating as well, you could certainly hear when they got on a muntjac as it sounded like hounds :oops:

My mum breeds borders and they are very much a love them or hate them dog I'm really in the latter camp but occasionally see the odd long legged version that gives me ideas.

My border comes beating with me and is brilliant and he will also just about sit still in the hide but prefers to pick up a nice crunchy decoy than a mouth full of feathers from a pigeon.

Luckily mine has never gone to ground and prefers chasing bunnies in the open although is only quick enough to catch baby ones.

He also comes out fishing with me in the boat and loves that.

As I say, brilliant dogs with massive personality.

I`ve bred over 100 Borders and have said to everyone who bought from me I`d take a dog over a bitch any day. I found them more affectionate and had no trouble with them quarrelling, the bitches, however, are another story. I had 2 who hated each other and would fight to the death if given the chance. If I only had one it would be a dog.

Make sure you buy from someone who is interested in the breed and not just trying to make money as they have become very popular. That could be said about buying any dog.

Bill

a keeper here used to have some and they were used for beating as well, you could certainly hear when they got on a muntjac as it sounded like hounds :oops:

I remember them well.... mother and daughter, cracking couple of characters, almost human!!! I remember him teasing mum when she was still quite young..... holding her to his chest and 'goading' her with his spare hand.... he was too quick for her until she sussed he wasn't wearing a shirt and that his nipple was an ideal alternative. ****!! Blood... and tears from laughing!!

The trait carried on with the daughter... the keeper and his missus were have a play fight in the kitchen and she jumped up and bit him on the bum....... more blood, more tears.

:lol:

Bless 'em.

atb

fizz

post-23787-0-97451100-1340311061.jpg

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

I remember them well.... mother and daughter, cracking couple of characters, almost human!!! I remember him teasing mum when she was still quite young..... holding her to his chest and 'goading' her with his spare hand.... he was too quick for her until she sussed he wasn't wearing a shirt and that his nipple was an ideal alternative. ****!! Blood... and tears from laughing!!

The trait carried on with the daughter... the keeper and his missus were have a play fight in the kitchen and she jumped up and bit him on the bum....... more blood, more tears.

:lol:

Bless 'em.

atb

fizz

post-23787-0-97451100-1340311061.jpg

ah yes the little darlings :lol: not sure what was funnier the sound they made on deer or the language that followed them :lol:

I have a male intact border who is coming up to 3 in August, there has been absolutely no need to remove his nuts as he is brilliantly behaved.

He is a fantastic little dog with so much character and bravery.

One thing I would say is that he does have a cramping syndrome which the vets cannot work out - he has seizures which is he concious throughout and tries to get to me but his back and leg muscles cramp up and make him fall over and stagger about. There is much debate as to what this is but it seems common in borders and is referred to as canine epileptoid cramping syndrome or spikes disease. I have to admit I have established this position myself from Internet research and I have established that it is high protein food which causes the episodes as if he is given meat, it happens a day or do after. No big deal now as he just has dried food.

I am not writing this to put you off the breed as they are truly brilliant dogs and I would have another if I could, but just as a warning to ask potential breeders whether they are aware of any epilepsy or similar.

I have a full pedigree for my dog so if you need any information just let me know.

There are no cons to border ownership! Just keep and eye on them when teething as the jaw strength is incredible. Fantastic with kids and other dogs (unless the other dogs shows aggression then the teeth come out) but mine hates all small furry things including cats!

Anthony

My border male has the same problem and I linked it to his food as well.

My border comes beating with me and is brilliant and he will also just about sit still in the hide but prefers to pick up a nice crunchy decoy than a mouth full of feathers from a pigeon.

Luckily mine has never gone to ground and prefers chasing bunnies in the open although is only quick enough to catch baby ones.

He also comes out fishing with me in the boat and loves that.

As I say, brilliant dogs with massive personality.

My border has been beating with me for last 3years and embarrassed plenty of dogs that wouldn't go in to heavy cover !

He will also pick up and not perfect but retrieve !

Ours also loves been on boat permently sat on bow playing look out !

Edited by racingfrank7

I`ve bred over 100 Borders and have said to everyone who bought from me I`d take a dog over a bitch any day. I found them more affectionate and had no trouble with them quarrelling, the bitches, however, are another story. I had 2 who hated each other and would fight to the death if given the chance. If I only had one it would be a dog.

Make sure you buy from someone who is interested in the breed and not just trying to make money as they have become very popular. That could be said about buying any dog.

Bill

Wouldn't agree with that, my dad has a dog and a bitch ( mother & son )

My dog & my dads have had some nasty fights over the years and it has nothing to do with the bitch and can be over anything.

Also the odd border male we meet when out will size up mine and before you know it one of them will go for it.

A friend has 2 bitches and when it takes there fancy will fight like hook !

At the end of the day it's a terrier by breed so you are going to get some thing, they are far different to say my working cocker which is more interested in work than anything else

I'd always have bitches as I find they are slightly less head strong but its really a personal thing. They do make good dogs the only things to watch for are some are more working bred than others, of those some will go to ground on whatever they can which can be bad news. If you're thinking of one for stalking they can be great for finding deer but can be noisy during the process which is good if you let them off but not so good before the shot. Really they are best left in the truck till you need them a keeper here used to have some and they were used for beating as well, you could certainly hear when they got on a muntjac as it sounded like hounds :oops:

My mum breeds borders and they are very much a love them or hate them dog I'm really in the latter camp but occasionally see the odd long legged version that gives me ideas.

Mine is exactly that ! Long legged stubborn male that is musted on dear, when alone quite, in a pack with others I agree like hounds !

And he is to big to go ground unless it was for a fox.

Bitches do seem to be less stubborn.

My border male has the same problem and I linked it to his food as well.

Very interesting to hear that, what did you link it to? I have recently changed his food to gluten free and he is doing really well so I hoping this could be the solution I have been looking for.

Yours sound very much like mine!

d37a1ad9.jpg

Got mine from a Fell pack in Egremont.Fantastic dogs.She goes everywhere with me,beating or shooting.Retrieves pheasants,rabbits,ducks,corvids,geese; but not keen on pigeon as the downy feathers easily come off in her mouth.She loves killing rats(and chickens...oops!)and would kill all my ferrets if she got the chance....bit of history there!Wouldn't swap her for anything,and will soon be getting another.

My dog & my dads have had some nasty fights over the years and it has nothing to do with the bitch and can be over anything.

Also the odd border male we meet when out will size up mine and before you know it one of them will go for it.

At the end of the day it's a terrier by breed so you are going to get some thing, they are far different to say my working cocker which is more interested in work than anything else

Totally agree...often other male borders size up mine and one will kick off! Mine hates collies and Alsatians but likes most other dogs...as said, they are terriers and think they are invincible...my working cocker is a completely different temperament, if other dogs growl or get aggressive towards him, he looks to the border to sort it and keeps out of the way!

Didn't have a exact link, just found in better off feeding him little and often keeping him topped up because it all ways seemed to happen when he getting hungry or near a feeding time, also bakers biscuits ( ones which are all colours ) when he had them with his meat they happened more regular, now he is on csj with meat and like I say keep him topped up eg if out working then a couple of gravy bones here and there. Since then they are very few and far between.

On watch !

946dc146.jpg

With my cocker

929ce3c4.jpg

Team handed !

8cb04eb8.jpg

We all go on our own experience and can only comment on how our dogs react.Having owned Borders for over 50 years I would definitely advise anyone they are taking on a terrier and should expect to have a bold courageous dog but not a fighter, if correctly brought up. The aggression should be saved for when the terrier is required to work.However, I have had the odd males that have had a spat and have become the best of pals afterwards, whereas when bitches have had a go I`ve never been able to put them together again as they would fight at the drop of a hat.

Only my experience.

Bill

Didn't have a exact link, just found in better off feeding him little and often keeping him topped up because it all ways seemed to happen when he getting hungry or near a feeding time, also bakers biscuits ( ones which are all colours ) when he had them with his meat they happened more regular, now he is on csj with meat and like I say keep him topped up eg if out working then a couple of gravy bones here and there. Since then they are very few and far between.

On watch !

946dc146.jpg

With my cocker

929ce3c4.jpg

Team handed !

8cb04eb8.jpg

Interesting...I cut out bakers and other food with unnecessary colourings, keeping him well fed seems a good idea, I will try that but he can be very fussy and doesnt like to eat when he is out working. As luck would have it I emailed CSJ yesterday to get some samples to see if that works better than the current skinners F&T.

Yours is a big lad - mine is only 10kg and is smaller than my 8 months cocker now!

We all go on our own experience and can only comment on how our dogs react.Having owned Borders for over 50 years I would definitely advise anyone they are taking on a terrier and should expect to have a bold courageous dog but not a fighter, if correctly brought up. The aggression should be saved for when the terrier is required to work.However, I have had the odd males that have had a spat and have become the best of pals afterwards, whereas when bitches have had a go I`ve never been able to put them together again as they would fight at the drop of a hat.

Only my experience.

Bill

I know what your saying, when mine and my dads have had a go they really go for it and can be difficult to seperate, then 20mins later they will be licking each others wounds and cuddling up to each other?!