Gun blue kits

fenboy

I have a old Belgian 16 gauge that has seen better days but has sentimental value for me , the bluing is totally had it and could do with renewing .

Has anyone used a cold bluing kit from the likes of birchwood casey or phillips etc with any good results or is it just a job for a gunsmith ?? not sure if i want to shell out £100-£150 on a gun thats worth £50, so was thinking of giving it a go myself.

youtube has number of folk showing their efforts....I guess if its £50 no harm trying.....I do think though a pro will do a pro job...Look at UK gunrepairs website,their barrel chap has some secret recipe but the results look fantastic.Problem is if barrels look too good rest of gun may be shown up though!

atb

I have a old Belgian 16 gauge that has seen better days but has sentimental value for me , the bluing is totally had it and could do with renewing .

Has anyone used a cold bluing kit from the likes of birchwood casey or phillips etc with any good results or is it just a job for a gunsmith ?? not sure if i want to shell out £100-£150 on a gun thats worth £50, so was thinking of giving it a go myself.

waste of time on full jobs, better left alone. Usefull on scratches and minor blemishes only

Fenboy,

go to DIY section below and look ofr 22nd January 2011 article by 'Simmo' it tells the work and experience of someone.....sounds like lot of work but his before and after shots look pretty impressive for a 1st attempt.V good instructions included too...Having read it all and time taken though I think £100 is a bargain!!!

atb

Hi Fen boy I got some cold blue at least 15 years ago,and yes it works you need to make a good job of degreasing barrels . Can be used for doing small bits or all the barrels will not last as well as a professional gunsmith job but

it looks good .Its in the house but will need to look for it its a blue gel you put on with cotton wool .Dipper.

I will ask at a local subcontract company i know who uses a chemical blacking set up.

I used to work for a firm and used to work in the chemical blacking facility.

It will give alot better finish than gun blue. Gun blue is very hard to get the finish even and free from streaks.

Also some styles of gun blue are poisonous.

See youtube link for process.

If you can find a local company with a set up like this they may do it for you.

I'll be sending off my HW77k action to RichardH soon...

I've tried the Birchwood Casey kit in the past on a single-barrel shotgun. Followed the instructions to the letter, and it looked OK when I looked at it inside.

Looked at it in daylight, though, and the streaks become more obvious, and was more a dark grey than a proper deep blue/black.

For the extra cash, and saving your time and effort, definitely just send it off :good: