177 on rabbits how do they perform

mr williamson

I do and hunt mostly rabbits. There's no problem with .177 and shooting rabbits! Like you, I always shoot head shots and have never had a problem with the smaller pellets. Indeed, now that I'm shooting with a .177 (I used to have a .22), I'm getting much cleaner kills because of the flatter trajectory; you get a wider margin for error of range. You have to be a bit more careful with the wind, but there's more than enough energy transfer to dispatch a rabbit.

In .177 Bisley magnums at 10.65 grain knock them down dead. :good:

And you get a good pellet spread dumping the pellets kinetic energy in to the target so a small entry hole and a bigger exit hole. :good:

RWS Superdomes or RWS Superfield work well very accurate.

Crosman premier magnums are very accurate and well finished.

But the Bisley magnums are very hard hitting and a soft lead so they spread on impact and i find they give the best results.

Bisley pest control work well to up to 35 yds but are not as accurate as the magnums.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

I used to shoot all kinds of vermin with my .177 back in my salad days. I was a crack shot with that gun because I spent all my spare time shooting it. I thought it was powerful at the time. Later found out it was only just over eight ft lb energy. If you hit rabbits in the right place, they'll drop alright with a .177. I used to aim down their earhole if they were facing away at an angle. Can't remember ever hitting one and just wounding it anyway.

In .177 Bisley magnums at 10.65 grain knock them down dead. :good:

And you get a good pellet spread dumping the pellets kinetic energy in to the target so a small entry hole and a bigger exit hole. :good:

you don't actually need a particularly heavy pellet. Standard pellets are fine. I use good old H&N FTT dome heads. Never had a problem yet; all nice and clean kills. The heavy pellet might be useful in the wind, but in most conditions the FTTs are fine :)

much like you, i prefer the trajectory of the .177 as i can use higher mags. i have however noticed a few more runners with a .177 then with .22. now i am not a believer in .22 for hunting and .177 for target, as i just buy whatever calibre comes up. i hit a rabbit directly in the between the ears on the back of the head and it just ran off with a .177, a few other times they had ran or managed to scramble to their holes with normal head shots. my only explanation is their is less damage to the brain instantly so they have a small window of extra control.

i did however get more rabbits in a shorter period of time with the .177 though (and that was a springer) compared to pcp. i would say, choose the gun you want first and the calibre later, if you have a choice go for .177.

atb

tom

what sort of distance will 177 kill at

As far as you are able to reliably put them. If you can take them at 45 yards then 45 yards. I think most people stick to the 30 yard mark though - the variables in the field are more unpredictable than target shooting where you get previous shots to guage windage etc.

what sort of distance will 177 kill at

it can kill as far as it can carry around 3ft lb's (around 150yards ish)

as for what the norm is probably people shoot at 35yards, i was getting them at 45+ fairly often which a hw97 in .177. just depends how confident you are.

PEA

P- practice (how confident and able are you)

E- environment (what re the conditions like)

A- accuracy (how accurate is the pellet and rifle combination)

atb

tom

I used .22 in air guns for hunting for 20 years but lately have switched to .177 and much prefer it for the flatter trajectory. I found that the Logun Penetrators gave even better accuracy than the AA Fields, and by shooting off sticks as with deer stalking you can get accurate headshots at 40 - 45 yards once you know the hold over off by heart.

I used .22 in air guns for hunting for 20 years but lately have switched to .177 and much prefer it for the flatter trajectory. I found that the Logun Penetrators gave even better accuracy than the AA Fields, and by shooting off sticks as with deer stalking you can get accurate headshots at 40 - 45 yards once you know the hold over off by heart.

They are good pellets, I can't help thinking they'd sell more if it wasn't for the silly name - especially as they look like a miniature dildo :lol:

ive allways gone for 177 for rabbits, the only time ive ever really had a issue with 177 on rabbits is when the quarry have been generally closer the 20yards which is fairly rare for rabbits anyway! as the "THUMPING" force from a greater distance is lost and the 177 pellets becomes a straight in straight out ammo which sometimes allows the rabbits nerves to continue long enough to get back to there holes before relizing there already dead :no: