177 on rabbits how do they perform

mr williamson

I chopped in 22 for 177 years ago and have never looked back.

You hit them in the head and they die with hardly a twitch it's as simple as that.

I've never understood the 22 hits harder arguement, if both rifles are set just below the limit then surely they hit with the same energy?

I can only go on my observations an below the legal limit it's 177 for me every time, I'd never go back.

Guest cookoff013

I chopped in 22 for 177 years ago and have never looked back.

You hit them in the head and they die with hardly a twitch it's as simple as that.

I've never understood the 22 hits harder arguement, if both rifles are set just below the limit then surely they hit with the same energy?I can only go on my observations an below the legal limit it's 177 for me every time, I'd never go back.

depends on how much energy the pellet looses. but to be more critial, how much a pellet is given and how it retains that energy are 2 very differnt things. and often can be very misleading.

depends on how much energy the pellet looses. but to be more critial, how much a pellet is given and how it retains that energy are 2 very differnt things. and often can be very misleading.

I wasn't talking about them hitting with exactly the same energy, I'm sure with two average rifles and two average pellets the difference would be neligable.

drilling a hole through a rabbits head will kill it instantly no matter what the size of the pellet, they dont half kick though! :)

a .177 carries less energy when it reaches the target but it punches through and through usually as its travelling much faster whereas a .22 carries more energy but travels slower...its down to personal preference...it boils down to whether you would rather judge more holdover/holdunder with .22 or more windage with the .177.

Edited by BaikalsRule90

it boils down to whether you would rather judge more holdover/holdunder with .22 or more windage with the .177.

.177 is just as good in the wind as .22 .

The proof is in the results - look at the scores of .177 and .22 at an HFT competition and you'll see that .177 is easier to hit the target with.

As Oscarsdad put it, it does not matter on the calibre its accuracy that counts,

i actualy use and shoot all size calibres , and my current favourite calibre

is the .20 calibre i shoot a custom built s410 in .20 at 11,4 fpe and an fac rapid

.20 @26fpe both very good at killing bunnies , the s410.20 is ok out to 40yds and the fac

.20 is good to 75 yds with great accuracy and good wack.

regds brian

Jesus wept-are we still discussing this topic?How many times can we go round in circles b4 we dissapear up our own rrrrr's?Any air rifle between 10ft/lb and the legal limit of 12ft/lb will kill small critters if you hit them in the right place-the smaller calibre simply makes hitting them a little easier-what can be simpler? I have a theory that this question raises its stupid head whenever we get a spell of rain and people are bored. :yes:

Guest cookoff013

just a slight deviation from this main topic,

Q: does anyone shoot low weight .177 pellets at rabbits? i`m just wondering is 7gn or so enough?

i`m going to get some light pellets and shoot some targets !

what are peoples experiences?

the lightest i`ve used were h&n ftts. they were great, i used to use bis mags in my pcp.

just a slight deviation from this main topic,

Q: does anyone shoot low weight .177 pellets at rabbits? i`m just wondering is 7gn or so enough?

i`m going to get some light pellets and shoot some targets !

what are peoples experiences?

the lightest i`ve used were h&n ftts. they were great, i used to use bis mags in my pcp.

The trouble with going that light is not killing the rabbit, it's learning a new set of trajectory and windage values. Personally, I'd say find a quality branded pellet between 8 and 9grn, that works well in your rifle, and buy a big batch of them.

Hit spot on the spot, theres nothing in it. .177 has 5 yds trajectory advantage (a lot competitively) but (not a hill of beans hunting). Bigger heavier pellets do better for the times you are not "spot on the spot" look at the lightweight .22 options and heaviest .177's and there aint much in it. Have owned and used .177, .20 and .22 cal sub 12ft lb guns.

its taken just over three decades for me to realy learn that keeping hunting ranges to 30yds makes a great deal more difference to bang flops than any calibre debate, regardless of what you can do in practice.

I use .22 exclusively now as sometimes you just cannot afford to take brain shots only and i want minimum pass through shots in buildings.

if i was going to shoot competitively again .177 is the only way to go though

• 2 weeks later...

but at 25 yrds would drill through and the rabbit would kick and run!....my hw95 is venom tuned and in .177 but still i have more runners with head shot rabbits then i do with my old airsporter in .22

Mine is also with a Venom kit inside, and I rarely have runners. Never had a runner with a headshot ???