painting not spraying

ditchman

There was a thread about 18 mths ago about hand painting a vehicle with a new generation of paints, im not looking for a show room finish, but a clean semi gloss or vinal finish on my landy, just havnt the cash to get it sprayed....any of you had any experience with painting a landy other than kharki, and what do i need to watch out for and rough cost of materials..........

ditchman

I painted a landy a few years ago....rubbed it down with a sander...took all lights off etc...small gloss roller and land rover green paint from a firm called Tea-mac (teal & mackrill)...used a bit of thinners in the paint,took a weekend got a good finish(ish)...cost about £20 all in...

Painted a Astra van john deer green too....Ive got a pic somewhere...again,paint from Tea-mac..gloss roller..

Me and the missus are painted her horse lorry the same way as soon as we get a weeks forecast hot weather...

Edited by smig4373

I painted a landy a few years ago....rubbed it down with a sander...took all lights off etc...small gloss roller and land rover green paint from a firm called Tea-mac (teal & mackrill)...used a bit of thinners in the paint,took a weekend got a good finish(ish)...cost about £20 all in...

Painted a Astra van john deer green too....Ive got a pic somewhere...again,paint from Tea-mac..gloss roller..

Me and the missus are painted her horse lorry the same way as soon as we get a weeks forecast hot weather...

arrrrr that reminds me of the thread i read............he use " a roller" !!!!!!!! would love to see a pic

This is a photo of a photo of the Astra i did in 2003 ish.so the pic quality isnt to good....used 1 tin of tea mac paint 2 gloss rollers and 1 tin of satin black for the bumpers....The van was white when i started...took me 1 day...( i did have to fill the arches and where bonnet badge was)..the painting only took a day tho. :good: :good:

DSCF0870.jpg

Edited by smig4373

There was a thread about 18 mths ago about hand painting a vehicle with a new generation of paints, im not looking for a show room finish, but a clean semi gloss or vinal finish on my landy, just havnt the cash to get it sprayed....any of you had any experience with painting a landy other than kharki, and what do i need to watch out for and rough cost of materials..........

ditchman

Are you on about the rollered nato green Jimny?

what size roller did you use ? did it leave an "orange peel effect" (which is fine) or a smoothe finish....

the small ones...about 4in...no orange peel effect at all....nice shiny finish... :good: :good:...put on with thinners on a hot day...2 or 3 thin coats...it dries quickly.... i just kept going round it....

Edited by smig4373

You dont get the orange peel effect if you roller it on thin and give it several coats...Its dry really quick in the sun...

I wernt to bothered about the finish so did it outside...picked the flies out of it when it dried. :lol: :lol:..

The finish was ok..i was well pleased with it for what it cost.. :good: :good:

cheers you boys, will keep you posted and take some before and after pics , if the weather clears up

ditchman

Good luck...its a lot of fun...you be impressed with result....I think you can get Tea-mac from cetral wool growers in norfolk...Failing that...ring any molevalley farmers up..they have Landy blue and green on stock...as well as ford blue,fergie grey,david brown chocolate etc etc...

Mate bought an old banger and the result of a Sunday lunchtime session in the pub was that he "agreed" that it would be a good idea to paint it. A few of us sort of rubbed it down and filled holes with newspaper and body putty before brush painting it dark blue. It didn't look too bad until the wind whipped up dead leaves which stuck to the new paint on one side. Camo finish with a difference. Come to think of it, it looked pretty horrible when sober.

Nick

I used a small foam roller for the big areas and a small brush to "cut in" round edges

It only took 1ltr and about 21/2 hours ( big tip don't paint it on a hot day as it was drying too quick ) it could do with another coat but I used "tekaloid" from smith and Allen in Darlington (about £20)

Give it 2 light coats as you get a better finish

Before: aa77cbdc.jpg

After:bd68c471.jpg

Edited by mad1

Green I think ???

Only joking it's bs381 226 it's supposed to be coniston green

M1

think i will go for Bronze Green 1...........matt black eyebrows (they are expensive) matt black headlamp finishers, and matt black rad grill, and ivory steel rims.......im just stripping the roof lining out and relaying it with a grey stretch fabric........the expensive bits are the small ones that add up like the window seals etc....

Go to a ship's chandler and buy yacht paint, also buy etching primer. Many of the dents in landies alloy panels can be straightened by cleaning the back of the panel and rub with soap - cheap tesco stuff is ok. WARM with a blowlamp from the other side and when the soap goes black tap the dent out against a flat piece of metal. You can get it perfect if you take your time and don't try too hard.

Rub the area down if you don't go through the paint you won't need the etching primer. Follow the paint instructions re thinning and use your choice of application, I prefer to brush round the obstructions and roll the large areas.

The yacht enamel,if good quality, will give you an excellent finish and will cover dark colours well. It sets pdq as well.

I worked for a company which always hand painted their buses, remember the preparation is the skilful part once, the surface is well prepared you can get your kids to do the painting with good quality paint.

Go to a ship's chandler and buy yacht paint, also buy etching primer. Many of the dents in landies alloy panels can be straightened by cleaning the back of the panel and rub with soap - cheap tesco stuff is ok. WARM with a blowlamp from the other side and when the soap goes black tap the dent out against a flat piece of metal. You can get it perfect if you take your time and don't try too hard.

Rub the area down if you don't go through the paint you won't need the etching primer. Follow the paint instructions re thinning and use your choice of application, I prefer to brush round the obstructions and roll the large areas.

The yacht enamel,if good quality, will give you an excellent finish and will cover dark colours well. It sets pdq as well.

I worked for a company which always hand painted their buses, remember the preparation is the skilful part once, the surface is well prepared you can get your kids to do the painting with good quality paint.

i will test a brush out and roller when i take off the sills and vents and bonnent , see what the best results are with the paint i will use....

I am going to have a crack at repainting my Series 2a too. Its already Deep Bronze Green but needs a tidy up.

Jonathan

et us know how you get on, im still waiting for the weather to stable and for the money from when i sell my 6.5 kva generator before i make a start...