What to do?

its 2 and the owner has had it 8 months. I'm with you though this bite wasn't a Jack Russel that meant it, its one to keep a close eye on as much for stopping it getting pulled about and hit.

Thanks for the clarification.

its 2 and the owner has had it 8 months. I'm with you though this bite wasn't a Jack Russel that meant it, its one to keep a close eye on as much for stopping it getting pulled about and hit.

Al4x

Are you sure that the bite was not meant, could it not be that the child was quick enough to move away and the bite a glancing blow.

A friend of mine hade a little Patterdale, when it was young it was asleep on the sofa when my friends 3 year old grandaughter nudged it and it nipped her. The dog was given another chance, when the dog was about 3 my friends 18 month old grandson was walking in a room with other people in the same room, the lad was carrying a bit of food in his hand the dog went to get it and the boy moved his hand away, the dogs response was to savage the boys head. The dog had to be destoryed.

Now i think once a dog has nipped it cant be trusted around kids again, if its owned as a working dog it should be in an outside kennel if not and its just a pet i would get rid but make sure its not going to another family home. The new owners have a right to know why its being rehomed.

As said before by others you love your dogs but not as much as your kids.

RH

Your Daughter has only one life and one Face, it only takes one mistake and you will have to look your Daughter in Her face for the rest of your life. Its not worth the risk, Kennel it outside or move on. A bit harsh but very real its happend before to others and it will happen many more times to others, please dont be one of the others.

PELTY

Edited by the pelt man

:lol: dog isnt heeling well, dog wont retrieve etc etc - blue juice

perhaps a bit extreme but a fix nonetheless :lol:

No those are non threatening to human life or health, you can work through them without anyone being at risk. when you read of the next dumbell who's dog kills or permenantly maims a kid in the home think on that

HI

here is my ten penny worth, In my opinion dogs don,t give a warning bite it is a bite and thats it, they would growl a warning, no dog is 100% safe and therefore should not be left alone with children so in this case re-home the dog and learn the lesson do NOT leave dogs alone with children.

Mick

No those are non threatening to human life or health, you can work through them without anyone being at risk. when you read of the next dumbell who's dog kills or permenantly maims a kid in the home think on that

Apologies if my response appeared flippant. It wasnt meant to be. My comment was aimed at your suggestion that both should be removed from the gene pool.

I agree that genetically 'bad' dogs should not breed - be this health or behaviourally bad dogs. Dogs that have bad owners but are genetically fine may need to be kept away from kids but I dont see why they cant contribute to the breed.

The stories that we see in the papers tend to be where the owner has put the kid and the dog in the situation. I'm not saying that this makes the situation fine but as owners we have a responsibility to prevent this happening.

I trust my dogs around people that they know and are happy around dogs but will not allow my 6 year old niece to interact with them - it just isn't worth the risk.