7.5 28 grms ?

gwpointer

hi guys went out decoying crows today on freshly cut stubble and when i entered the field i saw atleast 200 crows feeding on the stubble so i put out the decoys set up my camo net and sat their with an over and under shotgun usin 7.5 28 grm cartriges.This was my first ever decoying trip so wasnt quite sure what size cartrige to use.Wasn't long before i started taking shots, the crows where about 25-30 yards away and i had them lined up with the barrels perfectly and when i took the shot i was expecting them to just drop but they actually kind of swerved to the side and a couple of feathers would fall of but they would just keep flying like they were never shot.Are 7.5 28 grms any good for decoying at that type of range ? If not what would be suitable ?

cheers. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys went out decoying crows today on freshly cut stubble and when i entered the field i saw atleast 200 crows feeding on the stubble so i put out the decoys set up my camo net and sat their with an over and under shotgun usin 7.5 28 grm cartriges.This was my first ever decoying trip so wasnt quite sure what size cartrige to use.Wasn't long before i started taking shots, the crows where about 25-30 yards away and i had them lined up with the barrels perfectly and when i took the shot i was expecting them to just drop but they actually kind of swerved to the side and a couple of feathers would fall of but they would just keep flying like they were never shot.Are 7.5 28 grms any good for decoying at that type of range ? If not what would be suitable ?

cheers. :)

sounds to me that if you had your barrels lined up with the crow that you was shooting behind them and as result just pricking them, at 30 yards out they should be dropping like stones, i use 7.5 ounce loads while decoying pigeons upto 50 yrs out and 9 times outa 10 they fall, think the thing to remember is bum, belly, beak, bang :good:

hi mate, as you probably know by now crows and rooks are sharp eyed creatures and tend to vear off sharply when they see you. they become further away when this happens. for this reason a lot of people like 32gms of no5 they also give more clout on higher birds. in reality 32gms of no6 through 1/2 or 3/4 choke should be ample. some are able to kill them with 7 1/2's but you need the birds closer to you. also try to swing through the bird a bit more and put more of the shot pattern into the front of the bird. try some 5 and 6 shot you will see the difference.

32 5's, or 30 6's. I am only new to it but notice the difference in 28 7.5's (clay busters) to switching up to the 5's or 6's.

Don't worry about chokes, 1/4 / 1/2 is plenty. To be honest (and only in my opinion and experience) the wider choke the better as for starters you can afford to be less accurate - plus tightening the choke with a heavier load = not much left for the table!! Keep at it, give em lead and you will get a nice bag!

Best of luck mate.

32 5's, or 30 6's. I am only new to it but notice the difference in 28 7.5's (clay busters) to switching up to the 5's or 6's.

Don't worry about chokes, 1/4 / 1/2 is plenty. To be honest (and only in my opinion and experience) the wider choke the better as for starters you can afford to be less accurate - plus tightening the choke with a heavier load = not much left for the table!! Keep at it, give em lead and you will get a nice bag!

Best of luck mate.

clay busters????:lol: ok perhaps they are but more then enough for decoying :good:

Crows dpn't look like they are moving but they are, give them more lead. Shot wise, sub 30 yards 7.5s should be ok, over that and under 40 yards use 6s, over 40 yards 5s. Crows are VERY tough, I have shot them with rifles and seen them go away with a leg hanging by a tendon. My dog caught that one the same day back in the same place, leg was shot away bar one tendon, very tough.

A

As has been said, your cartridges should be fine but 30 gms of 6 shot would have a bit more clout. Judging the correct amount of lead (as in forward allowance) is one of the hardest things to learn, and you can only do so through practice. Shoot as many clay pigeons as you can, and that will help you imrove.

Any 28gm 7.5 load should be fine for crows at 35-40 yards. The most important thing is to get the shot pattern in the right place. Too many people blame the cartridge when a bird flies on after being shot. Hit a bird in the rear end and 2oz BB won't bring it down.

I use 26" Benelli semi half choke and 29gram No6 home loads and never had a problem with crows way beyond 30yds also shot over 1000 pigeons with mate last year with same load. Good tip from Browning......bum, belly, beak, bang. :good::good:

Full choke with 28g 7.5s 40 yards no problem.

If you are a good shot yeah fine if you are confident with them, but as the op said he is new to it so personally i would say move up to 32g+ of 6/5s and use 1/2 choke to maximise the chance of hitting them hard enough to drop them. If you are seeing feathers come off after the shot you are more than likely shooting a little bit behind, so increase the lead a tad and you will be just fine :good:

I have decided to go with 5's for almost all of my crow shooting this year and it does seem to really hit them hard with very few still alive when they come down, did the same for the pheasants last season and again was more than happy with the results.

A lot of it is what you are confident it. Use your usual pigeon/ game load and you wont go far wrong. Having said that, I personally use 7.5s for all decoying, and me and my dad kill between 1000 and 1500 corvids a year with this and quarter choke in our autos. 7.5s gives you a nice pattern of pellets to give multiple hits on the bird, giving you more chance of hitting it in a vital area and so killing it cleanly. They arent that big a bird and if you read about the American crow shooters, they even go down to 8s and 9s, and kill up to 500 crows a day!! So they must be doing something right.

A lot of it is what you are confident it. Use your usual pigeon/ game load and you wont go far wrong. Having said that, I personally use 7.5s for all decoying, and me and my dad kill between 1000 and 1500 corvids a year with this and quarter choke in our autos. 7.5s gives you a nice pattern of pellets to give multiple hits on the bird, giving you more chance of hitting it in a vital area and so killing it cleanly. They arent that big a bird and if you read about the American crow shooters, they even go down to 8s and 9s, and kill up to 500 crows a day!! So they must be doing something right.

Confidence is everything - pick a cartridge, do a pattern test to confirm a nice even pattern and stick with it. That way you know if you are missing it's your aim / swing / lead and gives you the chance to work out what's wrong and correct it, and happy ever after. Good luck

Agreed! Small pellets kill well. As i've said before, if birds are hit in the right place at a sensible distance, they will drop.

• 3 weeks later...

sounds to me that if you had your barrels lined up with the crow that you was shooting behind them and as result just pricking them, at 30 yards out they should be dropping like stones, i use 7.5 ounce loads while decoying pigeons upto 50 yrs out and 9 times outa 10 they fall, think the thing to remember is bum, belly, beak, bang :good:

agreed probably shooting behind the bird but as far as 7.5 28 gram clay busting cartridges killing out at 50yards absolute rubbish, yes they may fall but most will be wounded stick to sensible loads at 50 yards like 32 grams of 5 or 6 shot whether it be pigeons or crows, just because clay cartridges are cheaper than game cartridges it doesn't mean they are up to the job at longer ranges

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest using either no. 5 or 6 shot, with either 30 or 32 grams. Yes 7.5 might be enough to drop them as short ranges, but if your going out to shoot them take a cartridge that has a bit more clout at longer ranges, and will be humane. They may be crows, but that doesn't mean it's OK for them to suffer becuase someone tries to save a couple of quid on some carts. They're tough birds. 1/4 or 1/2 choke should do.

Buy the cheapest carts (in the right size!) that you find, I don't think you'll gain from spending more money.

Clay loads are for clays. Use a game load for live game.

A 22 rf will kill a deer at sensible ranges, so will an air gun kill a fox, but we don't, we use the right caliber for each job.

The only reason people use clay loads for pigeons is cost. If you could get a 30g #6 for £150 per 1000,then everyone would use them.