Game cover

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update Al4x - looks pretty useful

Its that useful the neighbours hate it :whistling:

If you have any land going to be over wintered as stubble its beneficial to the farmer as well, the greenery takes up the free nitrogen in the soil and by topping it and ploughing in before the spring crop that nitrogen becomes available to the growing crop. As a cheap cover to establish its pretty good for small shoots

not as far as I know certainly this always seems to work well for us and any area thats used for spring cropping could be put down to it for the cost of seed. Thats one of the thinner patches most is up to waist height and pretty thick, helps having the gaps though as the partridges love it

Thanks for putting those pics up al4x, it shows me what our mustard could look like.

Unfortunately this season we could only get ours sown once the wheat was harvested, which was very late and the weather then wasn't conducive to quick growing. The farmer has agreed that we can have certain parts of fields as dedicated areas of cover crop and we'll be able to sow them very much earlier next year.

With dedicated cover its worth adding as part of the mix but really a cover mix is your best bet, mustard is ideal on over wintered stubble the actual food value is low for birds but it provides a cover to hold them. This year has been a nightmare we were lucky the farmer is a mate and shoots with us so we do get preferential treatment for getting it on.

Ah in that case it may be worth looking which mix's are recommended for the scheme you are in, slug wise its been a bad year but might be worth investing in pellets next year if its as bad.

I reckon our farmer has cornered the market in slug pellets, the amount of bags he's got stashed in the yard. The order of the seed brochures is in hand.

Edited by PhilR

Phil next year try a block of utopia, I'm going for late july again for two reasons, our syndicate members who are farmers are always very busy drilling maze at the same time that would suit most cover crops, so using utopia should move the drilling period forward a few months, and I'm amazed that it is still flowering this late in the year, and those flowers will draw any insect life which in turn will keep game birds amused, it's had a few hard frosts which have not knocked it back and the speed of growth is amazing, I am very impressed!

Phil next year try a block of utopia, I'm going for late july again for two reasons, our syndicate members who are farmers are always very busy drilling maze at the same time that would suit most cover crops, so using utopia should move the drilling period forward a few months, and I'm amazed that it is still flowering this late in the year, and those flowers will draw any insect life which in turn will keep game birds amused, it's had a few hard frosts which have not knocked it back and the speed of growth is amazing, I am very impressed!

Thanks for the tip Paul. I credited Alex for your recent pics so apologies for that.

• 4 weeks later...

hi all. on my small shoot we are thinking about putting strips of cover in sertan places.

we are a rough shoot over very rough groun. some tall grasses and some quite marshy.

dose any one have an idea of what we could seed as cover and feed in the summer months and may be ok of winter too.

we do feed most of the year but seem to feed wondering birds so would like to put cover/feed down to keep them around. we seem to hold them very well over the winter and summer time be lucky to see one. there is lots of cover and places the pheasants like on the estate but feel they need a bit more.

any ideas? only talking buying 2 25kg bags and hand sow in sertain places..