decoying pigeons on clover

gwpointer

hi guys i went out pigeon decoying on clover and when i entered the field i saw atleast 45 pigeons so i whent up set up my hide and put out 12 pigeon shell decoys in a horse shoe pattern and they were facing into the wind.so i was sitting behind my hide for about 2 hours and not 1 pigeon in site !What am i doing wrong or why arent the pigeons coming back or coming down to the decoys

:hmm:

Any advice would be great :)

cheers !

hi guys i went out pigeon decoying on clover and when i entered the field i saw atleast 45 pigeons so i whent up set up my hide and put out 12 pigeon shell decoys in a horse shoe pattern and they were facing into the wind.so i was sitting behind my hide for about 2 hours and not 1 pigeon in site !What am i doing wrong or why arent the pigeons coming back or coming down to the decoys

cheers !

you say you pushed around 45 pigeons off to start with, that really isn,t an amount to be setting up on,best you could hope for is probably around 6 pigeons if that, i am surprised a few didn,t come back, also surprised you stayed there for 2 hours before packing in, if nothing comes near within 30 mins it aint gonna happen

We shot 116 off clover yesterday but have been watching the field for a week letting numbers biuld and makeing sure thats were they wanted to feed.When we got there about 300 lifted off the field then we sat there for an hour watching flight lines and makeing sure they came back.Which they did in small groups had a very good day but it was all down to doing are homework before we shot the field :D

I don’t think you are doing anything wrong, they are just not in enough numbers to come back to the field once you have pushed them off. They would just go off and find their buddies in some other field and join them.

If this is the only field you have with birds on at the min, you have a choice:

You can get there before them and shoot them as they come in, or wait until the numbers build and then hit them.

I am going next wed to a barley field that I have been watching for over a week now, the numbers are building up nicely

Edited by Actionpigeons

ive been having similar problem past couple of weeks there arent the amount of birds about, spent fair few hours on monday for 9 birds one of my permissions seems pigeon free at the min farmer happy the other has a few birds on young beat but hard work no birds on wheat barley or ,rape no flattened areas, crops doing well sure the farmer will be happy

,best you can hope for really is set up on a area were there are birds and at the same time try and get on a flight line and just remember its not all about huge bags sometimes i shoot few challenging birds high and fast on a flight line to me they are worth more then a 100 bird bag taken 15 yards out, altough always nice to bag big :good:

Youre not normally going to get big bags on clover as when its in growth the Pigeons are not flocked and are generally preoccupied with other matters. :yes:

I always take a good book if I shoot during the early summer months on any crop ( apart from Peas perhaps) infact I normally go Fishing instead of shooting this time of year. :lol:

No 2 situations are the same in my opinion pal...

i shot over clover a couple of weeks ago and scared 6 off as i got on the field...i still set up and shot over 30 birds... and nothing came in the first hour..!!!

You ain't gonna shoot any sat at home, and if your out there then you can be observing whats happening in and around the area...

cheers !

Should have at least shot a few, are you certain nobody else beat you to it a day or so earlier, i know i should not really ask, but you did set up on the flightline dident you? and without any obsticles such as power lines/poles in the way? also did you use cradles for your birds, or at least garden canes for your plastics?

No 2 situations are the same in my opinion pal...

i shot over clover a couple of weeks ago and scared 6 off as i got on the field...i still set up and shot over 30 birds... and nothing came in the first hour..!!!

You ain't gonna shoot any sat at home, and if your out there then you can be observing whats happening in and around the area...

im with kdr on this one. :rolleyes:

one thing i do is not set the deeks as i do on rape or other crops, i tend to just random scatter the deeks and not bother with v or u shape patterns, seems to work better for me. :good:

im with kdr on this one. :rolleyes:

one thing i do is not set the deeks as i do on rape or other crops, i tend to just random scatter the deeks and not bother with v or u shape patterns, seems to work better for me. :good:

I use pretty much the same kind of set up year round and it generally works. The most important factors of decoying are- 1. Being in an area that the pigeons wish to feed, and 2. Making sure that your decoys can be seen by incoming birds.

I use pretty much the same kind of set up year round and it generally works. The most important factors of decoying are- 1. Being in an area that the pigeons wish to feed, and 2. Making sure that your decoys can be seen by incoming birds.

:stupid::stupid: