Lightest weight decoy

Templar, nah, you don't want to follow my example, this is a bit of a beast for lofting deeks about 5 or 6 metres up and out just to see what happens. Most DIY seem to use wiper motors from the scrappy for a couple of quid.

5 or 6 metres, I am looking forward to hearing how you get on, good luck with the build mate

The build is done, electonics all done, tried out the only poles I had that long and I need lighter deeks to go on them.

I could do with some old sea fishing rods that I could salvage the taper poles from to get the strength and lightness but I don't want to buy them if I don't have to.

Project so far has only cost me about a fiver.

Just for a giggle I am building a super big magnet, don't ask, it's just a laugh really!

Who makes the lightest decoy with spread wings?

what about using pigeonwings that have been opened up and dried then drilled and stuck into foam deeks ?

Edited by ditchman

First time all assembled.

This is the drive, speed controller, charge indicator and on/off lock together with the battery pack that just lifts on and off and has it's own charger socket. It sits on three big spikes that go about 10 inches into the ground.

DSC_1201_562x373.jpg

There is a standard magnet next to it for scale. It currently has two decoys on one arm, 3.5m long.

DSC_1197_562x373.jpg

I should put up a vote really, either the biggest bird magnet since the E Type Jag or the biggest bird scarer in Leicestershire.

Edited by harpoonlouis

Make sure you warn air traffic control before you fire it up

Hadn't though if that, it is right under East Mids flight path, better tell my neighbour as he is in control of all Air Traffic Controllers in the area!

I don't expect any great results but it was a bit of fun converting a mobility scooter into a pigeon magnet, cost about a fiver to do it, plus a couple of foam deeks which I can always use again.

Edited by harpoonlouis

Looks good :good:

What is the weight compared to the standard unit,

Battery is two times 17 Ahr and the main frame with the motor is about 30 pounds, so only for positions where you can just drop it off from the truck but not that bad.

Will upload a video later.

Edited by harpoonlouis

I thought you were raving mad when I first saw your post, but that actually looks really good in motion.

It's a tad large, but if the size don't bother you then why not. Definitely looks more natural than a magnet, and we know they work.

Good bitt of DIY too.

Edited by Cosd

hi,

looks good - I dont know whether its possible but if you could mount a second arm (maybe branched with a bolted joint from close to the base)you could tie both arms together at a higher level with a strong thin detachable bar or wire. This would then allow a heavier deek to be mounted and 4 in total. If you could connect the tie rod higher and lower, you could vary the flight path/pattern of the deeks and see how that affects the results?

Cheers

I started with two arms and you are right you have to cantilever the weight off each other as they get longer or you have to beef up the poles and they get silly big.

The poles I have used are fibre glass ex army for about a quid a piece so they will do for now.

I thought I would need to angle the rods out but if they start upright they start to bend a little naturally so as the speed picks up they bend more of their own accord and the speed ot rotation has more effect than the weight of the poles.

Ideal solution would be very long, lightweigt poles with a central spindle to canterlever them off in the centre, need to get luck and spot some sail batterns or bouncer poles going cheep.

The idea is to come up with a few configurations to try out as I have no idea if any will work or what will be best.

One place I want to try it is amongst the hawthorn bushes where the woods roost, get a bit of height in a gap and see if I can get amonst them.

All ideas welcome as this is just an experiment!