This might make you laugh...

throdgrain

After shooting shotguns for about a year, and clay pigeons for maybe 9 months, Ive just discovered something.

Im right eye dominant.

Thats ok you all think, except for one thing. Yes, im left handed. So, ive been shooting -with moderate success- left handed , closing my strong eye and sighting with me weaker eye.

I reckon I will be able to change to right handed shooting with some effort, though Id sooner not, but theres no other option, is there? Its kind of annoying as Ive recently bought a benelli semi-auto in left hand, and Ive been wondering why I cant hit much with it.

Any suggestions on a postcard please :good:

I've heard of cross stocks (not sure exactly what they are called) where you'd be able to hold the gun left handed but the butt would cross your body and be in your left shoulder and you'd be using your right eye. Never seen one and I don't think they'd be easy to get hold of (or get rid of when the time comes).

I've heard of cross stocks (not sure exactly what they are called) where you'd be able to hold the gun left handed but the butt would cross your body and be in your left shoulder and you'd be using your right eye. Never seen one and I don't think they'd be easy to get hold of (or get rid of when the time comes).

I had a look at one of these on the BASC stand at the CLA. It was actually on a 4 Bore? Very perculiar looking thing indeed. Looked very awkward to use not to mention that it wouldnt fit in a regular slip or gun case.

If you don't wear glasses, try wearing clear saftey type specs (the sort they tell we should be wearing anyway) and stick some clear celotape over the right lens. By all accounts it is enough just to blurr that eye and then redirect your brain to focus more through the left eye. I have to add I have never needed to do this, but look it up, it has been used as a method of correcting eye dominance for years.

Failing that the speed bead gets good reviews, but IMHO cross over stock or learning to shoot from the other shoulder are the last resorts.

God Im as confused as anything now. Sometimes when I do that test Im left eye dominant, sometimes Im right! Perhaps thats why I only hit half the birds! :good:

I dont get this. When I hold the CD up, if Im concentrating on the futher object, I can see 2 cd's, and pick which one to look through.

My brain is melting now :good:

DOn't know about the CD test. Try this!

Make a circle with fingers and thumbs of both hands together so that you are looking through the circle at the corner of the room. Now, extend your arms so that you are still looking at the corner of the room through the circle which is now at arms length. Then, decrease the circle so that you can only just see the corner of the room through the circle. Close your left eye. If you can still see the corner then you are right eye dominant and vice versa.

A lot of people shoot with one eye shut. My master eye changes with range. I get around it by picking up the target with both eyes and then squinting my right eye for the shot ( I'm left handed and mainly left eye dominant)

If the target is less than 20 yds then I can keep both eyes open, further I have to squint but it works.

leeboy

Ive been checking it all afternoon :) It changes, sometimes left eye dominant, sometimes right !

I wonder, if I bought one of the sight things would it mess me up if I was left eye dominant after all? I dont think it would.

Seems easier than learning all over again, Ive been shooting left handed (all sorts of guns) since I was 16, thats like 26 years or something, might be a pain to relearn everything :good:

learning to shoot right handed would take the pleasure out of it for me. I'm still getting to grips with left handed ! I'd get a qualified instructor to assess your eye dominance befor making too many decisions.

you will probably find your own shooting style and not worry much about it.

Leeboy

Had same kind of "problem". I am right handed and my left eye is dominant. When i had to practice to shoot clays for my dutch hunting/shooting exam the instructor insisted that i shoot the gun with the left shoulder. I refused as i was used shooting the gun with the right shoulder. Just closed the left eye (in my case) and no worries. For my exam i hit 23 out of 25 :good: . And have no trouble shooting pigeons or other game, same for rifle, just close (in my case) the left eye.

The only "problem"is that with shooting rifles you have one eye closed and it is more difficult to see trough the scope if the shot hit the animal and where the shot is placed because of the upward kick of the rifle. With two eyes open you will have better and quicker view.

Hi, I am right handed, but shoot from the left shoulder as i have very little sight in the right eye. Up until 2 years ago i used to shoot a r/h cast gun. At that time I had about an 80%+ hit rate on decoyed birds. I now have a l/h cast gun and i cannot hit a thing with it, I have only been out three times this year and the averages have been poor to say the least. 30% first outing then two outings of 50% and 60% it seems to be improving but nowhere near as high as when I shot a r/h cast gun from the left shoulder.

You would be surprised how many people are opposite dominant [i ]IE. [/i]Left handed and right eye dominant and visa versa . Personally I think if you learn to shoot like that and you can accredit yourself to your satisfaction, then what’s the problem just carry on as before. Remember it is yourself you have to feel comfortable with.

Tiercel

i have the same problem with eye dominance - i shoot right handed and yet am left eye dominant. I keep both eyes open in order to pick up my target and then close the left eye when i take the shot - seems to work for me - i have also tried the trick with a bit of tape with the glasses but found i wasn't picking the targets up as well with just using the one eye

There is a trick you can do, to tell you how you are missing when you do miss. Stand in front of a mirror, and then mount your gun. If you are looking straight down the rib in the mirror then you are mounting the gun correctly and any miss you have is down to normal attributes.

However, if you are looking over the shoulder of one or another of the barrels for a SBS or down either side of the rib for an O/U, Auto etc. Then I would suggest that you are missing behind when the birds come from one direction, and in front when they come from the opposite direction. The easy way to prove this is to mount the gun and aim at a target looking down the rib. Then without moving the gun look down the side of the rib and you will see that the barrels appear not to be pointing at the target at all. It depends what side of the rib you look down one side of the rib will appear to be in front of the target, and the other side of the rib will appear to be behind.

I eventually learned when I started shooting that as I was shooting a R/H cast gun from the left shoulder. Birds coming from my left needed less lead than birds coming from my right. The reason being that when I mounted the gun I was looking over the shoulder of the right barrel at the bead. Consequentially when I had my bead on the bird the gun was in fact aimed in front of the bird. However, when a bird was coming from my right the opposite applied.

Hope you can follow this I will try and do a drawing and upload it for you. One picture conveys a thousand words.

Tiercel.

2005_1010shotgun0001.jpg

This drawing although crude, will give an idea of what is happening when you look over the shoulders of a shotgun. The centre solid line is the true line that the gun is pointed at. The dashes show how it looks when you are looking over either shoulder of the gun. You can see that you are either infront or behind depending in what direction the target is moving.

Hope that has made it a bit clearer :lol:

Tiercel