Where do you hide your springer?

ffeighty

Good evening,

This question may sound very stupid, but here it is: where do you usually hide your springer when decoying pigeons? A (steady) dog with a dark color can stay out of the hide without causing any issue, but I think that my springer (flashy white & liver) is visible from too far away and might scare the pigeons away.

"In your hide" you will say. But to that I'll answer that I merely have a 1m² hide, with a lot of other things to put in it so there's no room left for my dog. :-)

Do I simply need a bigger net for my hide, or do you know some tricks I didn't think about?

Thanks in advance!

Good evening,

This question may sound very stupid, but here it is: where do you usually hide your springer when decoying pigeons? A (steady) dog with a dark color can stay out of the hide without causing any issue, but I think that my springer (flashy white & liver) is visible from too far away and might scare the pigeons away.

"In your hide" you will say. But to that I'll answer that I merely have a 1m² hide, with a lot of other things to put in it so there's no room left for my dog. :-)

Do I simply need a bigger net for my hide, or do you know some tricks I didn't think about?

Thanks in advance!

I think you answered your own question. Make your hide bigger.

ATB,

Lee

If I am shooting alone I some times dont put a hide up, I just push my back into the hedge. When I do this I put the dog under the hedge, untill you get a bigger net this would work..

If you are shooting from a hide you do need a hide big enough to stand and move without getting you gun hung up anywhere, so your dog should sit in with you.

A bit of a tip for you when I am hide shooting I take a foot mat out of my 4x4 and put it where I want the dog to sit, that way when ever I set up my hide she know where to sit.

Edited by Actionpigeons

if your setting up in a old hedge 9 times out of 10 there allways be the odd hole in the bottom, if you can build you hide at that spot you dog will have room to lay in the hedge behind you out the way, and when you send it out to pick up it will go out the back of your hide instead of out the side, well thats what i taught my spaniel to do, :good: that way you ent the dog under your feet :no:

The issue is that on most of the fields I shoot there is no hedge, so I only have the hide at my disposal to conceal her. :oops:

I managed to get her + my stuff into the hide today, by simply stretching the bottom of the net to create a slope she can hide under. There wasn't much room, but she fit in it. :-)

Iasx3.jpg

iWR2M.jpg

Edited by ffeighty

The issue is that on most of the fields I shoot there is no hedge, so I only have the hide at my disposal to conceal her. :oops:

I managed to get her + my stuff into the hide today, by simply stretching the bottom of the net to create a slope she can hide under. There wasn't much room, but she fit in it. :-)

Iasx3.jpg

iWR2M.jpg

get the dog a camo coat??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have trouble with making their dogs deaf when so close to you in the hide shooting large quantities of shots regularly? I know a couple of folks who have done this so tend to leave the dog at home as its easy to pick up on stubble, and when the crop is stood the farmer doesn't want me or dog going in looking for birds anyway as it causes more danger than the pigeons!

if your setting up in a old hedge 9 times out of 10 there allways be the odd hole in the bottom, if you can build you hide at that spot you dog will have room to lay in the hedge behind you out the way, and when you send it out to pick up it will go out the back of your hide instead of out the side, well thats what i taught my spaniel to do, :good: that way you ent the dog under your feet :no:

:good:

• 2 weeks later...