Taking gun to work

alendil

Hi

i work most of saturdays and after work i am able to go shuting

think is its 40 miles drive

so to get gun i will have to back home to pick up the gun (34miles) and pass next to my work place again.and then extra 40miles to shuting grounds.

at work i can close bolt and ammo in small cash safe to wich only I have acces.

and rifle can be put away in cabinet.

Is ok to do that.

thank You for any help and sorry for all gramar and speling.

You have to take "reasonable precautions" to keep your guns secure. Does anyone else have access to the cabinet? The bolt and ammo in the cashbox is a good idea but if others have access to the cabinet then the main gun should perhaps be kept somewhere else.

Is the cabinet you speak of a gun cabinet? I'm just trying to get a picture of the sort of people you work with... :hmm:

Hi

i work most of saturdays and after work i am able to go shuting

think is its 40 miles drive

so to get gun i will have to back home to pick up the gun (34miles) and pass next to my work place again.and then extra 40miles to shuting grounds.

at work i can close bolt and ammo in small cash safe to wich only I have acces.

and rifle can be put away in cabinet.

Is ok to do that.

thank You for any help and sorry for all gramar and speling.

If something happens you will have to prove all reasonable precautions were taken in court. same as stopping at services etc. There are times when we have to do such things. Can you keep essential parts like the bolt etc on your person?

Cabinet its just normal cubby hole under the staircase behind counter area.

Its outdoors shop and only person working with me is sensible

(joining royal marines next feve months)

bolt, mag and ammo is locked in safe.i am only one to have acces to safe ( i am assistant manager) My direct boss dont have safe key.

Cabinet its just normal cubby hole under the staircase behind counter area.

Its outdoors shop and only person working with me is sensible

(joining royal marines next feve months)

bolt, mag and ammo is locked in safe.i am only one to have acces to safe ( i am assistant manager) My direct boss dont have safe key.

Will your manager agree to you putting a lock on the door to the cupboard and maybe a bit of reinforcement to the frame. Then you can keep the key with you, would seem to be reasonable. Alternatively keep bolt and ammo with you and lock the rifle into the boot of your car, even have a gun safe bolted into the boot of your car or van.

You can't escape your responsibility to take reasonable precautions.

Tricky with a rifle, shotgun is easier. It is your responsibility to take reasonable precautions so only you. Can decide......

I often travel with shotgun and make my own arrangements, mostly leave barrels in car boot and tack action with me. With a rifle it's still a rifle even with no. Bolt.

Napier do some security slips might be worth looking into if it's regular or a security device for the car is the shop a chain? Would boss let you put a cabinet in cupboard? Get a cheap 2 gun one?

You can get gun safes designed for cars maybe an idea. As long as its not at risk of the whole vehicle being taken, and then a small box somewhere for the ammo and bolt inside your workplace maybe a better preposal than a full gun safe. I don't know what your workplaces insurance companies would say about the situation.

Imo, just leave it in your locked car.

This constitutes reasonable precautions as only you have the key, its secure and chances are you can see it at work (no matter if not).

some may disagree but if its ok to leave it in the boot when you go to pay for fuel etc then you're fine

Now practical precautions such as storing ammo away from gun (perhaps glovebox) and bolt on your person is also sensible

Would also recommend a decent trigger lock.

For shotguns I've heard of barrel locks (think bore snake with padlock on each end.

I think bringing into work us a bit risky!

I would keep the bolt/mag/mod with you at all times and leave the gun in the car.

I've only ever done this once with a shotgun - had to go to a meeting in Chester, knew one chap who was attending and asked if he'd mind if I brought a sleeved S/G in to the meeting - not a problem he said - he was a Chief Inspector of the licensing authority.

Good really as having walked in with 2 slips, everyone at the meeting wanted to see the guns !

I have a trigger lock, i use this in conjunction with a locked hard travel case, which is in its self locked to a strong point on the motor. I would also say keep the bolt on your person (those belt type bolt holsters are great) and ammunition on you too. Keep things in the car out of sight or covered, ect.

For this reason BASC/PW car stickers are not a good idea.

The problem I have with all this keep it in the car stuff, is that cars get nicked all too frequently.

Modern cars are very hard to nick without the keys hence the rise in car jackings are thefts of keys from homes to get the cars...

Depends on the car some are more secure than others the boot on the missus car is really quite secure, mine isn't particularly so I use a security slip. This I class as reasonable if the gun gets nicked or the car I hope the police agree I took all reasonable precautions