skeet chocked

aga man

hello guys, have the chance of a tidy little shotgun, but it is fixed choke at skeet/skeet. would this gun be any good in a pigeon hide and if so what shells are likely to pattern best in it. thanks aga man.

it is 12bore btw.

Edited by aga man

Just have a quick check on the actual length of the barrels. If they are '26 inches or shorter they may have been shortened cutting out all the original choke.

They may handle well in a hide, but a shortened gun is going to be very hard to resell if you needed to.

G.M.

thank for the useful reply's chaps. the situation is the gun has no stamps on the barrels anywhere. the previous owner complains a pricked birds more often than not. we pattern tested the gun on a large wooden board and at 30 yds with 32gm no6 the pattern was huge with gaps in it. a gunsmith has measured the chokes with a gauge ans said they are less than 1/4 and are both same size. so most definatley skeet. not measured the barrels but they look pretty short come to think of it.

Hi I have the same gun barrels 28 , 1/2 and 1/4 how much have you been offered it for incidently? I'm really happy with it.Only issue I had is it sometimes wouldn't eject Winchester carts from the top barrel. Never happened with any others.

Edited by Steve72

Hi I have the same gun barrels 28 , 1/2 and 1/4 how much have you been offered it for incidently? I'm really happy with it.

the gun is at £240 ono on private sale.the guy is sick of wounding birds with it. he is a good shot aswell normally. it is in very good nick and tight etc. just can't help thinking there's something amiss with the pattern. cheers for the input hedd. does your father in law generally stick to one brand/type of shell.

thank for the useful reply's chaps. the situation is the gun has no stamps on the barrels anywhere. the previous owner complains a pricked birds more often than not. we pattern tested the gun on a large wooden board and at 30 yds with 32gm no6 the pattern was huge with gaps in it. a gunsmith has measured the chokes with a gauge ans said they are less than 1/4 and are both same size. so most definatley skeet. not measured the barrels but they look pretty short come to think of it.

at 30 yds with 32gm no6 the pattern was huge with gaps in it

So the previous owner complains a pricked birds more often than not

You answered your own question useless even as close as 30 yards

at 30 yds with 32gm no6 the pattern was huge with gaps in it

So the previous owner complains a pricked birds more often than not

You answered your own question useless even as close as 30 yards

well yes. thats my feeling also,but interested in others opinion and experiences and trying to figure out why and wether it can be made to pattern better. :good:

the gun is at £240 ono on private sale.the guy is sick of wounding birds with it. he is a good shot aswell normally. it is in very good nick and tight etc. just can't help thinking there's something amiss with the pattern. cheers for the input hedd. does your father in law generally stick to one brand/type of shell.

D

I gave £180 for mine at John forseys in Kent last year. I have seen them on net for sale for around £300. I told the dealer what I had found out about Hilton when I picked it up , as he new nothing of the maker and he complained to another customer looking for a cheap gun he'd let me have it to cheap. ( but he is a salesman).

Well worth £200

D

I gave £180 for mine at John forseys in Kent last year. I have seen them on net for sale for around £300. I told the dealer what I had found out about Hilton when I picked it up , as he new nothing of the maker and he complained to another customer looking for a cheap gun he'd let me have it to cheap. ( but he is a salesman).

Well worth £200

yeah, have to agree, seems a lovely well made gun and fits very well. wouldn't say its a cheap gun by any means :good:

I think Catweazle has some sage advice there, some shells pattern much better than others and I would try some higher quality shells before dismissing it. Another option if you are buying it "right" would be to have it threaded for screwin tubes and you would have an extremely versatile gun with 27" tubes and an endless variety of chokes.

I think Catweazle has some sage advice there, some shells pattern much better than others and I would try some higher quality shells before dismissing it. Another option if you are buying it "right" would be to have it threaded for screwin tubes and you would have an extremely versatile gun with 27" tubes and an endless variety of chokes.

thanks guys, these are the type of posts i have been wanting. i didn,t know such things as getting the barrels threaded could be done. and the post about no8 skeet type shells was helpful i was thinking along these lines :good:

Skeet chokes are designed to be used between 2 and 25 yards. After that the pattern will get patchy. Ok if you stick to su 30 yards but no fun in that. Of course they can kill further off, but not consistently. Taking longer shots will only end in too many pricked birds.

Fine over decoys so long as you are selective about what you shoot at and don't mind letting the long stuff fly on

i agree with coyotemaster, try different shells. i havnt done a lot of pattern testing but i do remember trying lead BBs through my sx3 field with half choke at 50 yards and the pattern was terrible but through my friends sx3 composite with half choke and the same shells the patterns were great, and that was done with 5 shots through each gun, not just a one off.

I wouldn't buy it, if you really want to, use no 7 or 7.5 shot as this will fill the pattern. From what I've been told even 7.5 shot is effective on pigeons at 30 yards, but thats a whole different story that has been covered countless times, lets not start it again.

Edited by Spara Dritto