petrol/2 stroke strimmer.

Cranfield

What is the most reliable make of petrol/2 stroke driven strimmer ?

I have bought cheap in the past and am fed up with them only lasting a couple of years, the current one I have is a McCullough and I have carburettor/gasket problems almost every time I use it.

There must be some professionals out there who know whats what.

I have bought cheap in the past and am fed up with them only lasting a couple of years, the current one I have is a McCullough and I have carburettor/gasket problems almost every time I use it.

if you want to splash out go...Stihl......ive always used Ryobi, dont get the 25cc get the basic 30cc model.....thats my opinion daresay others may disagree......

Edited by ditchman

I have a Ryobi which has taken a lot of abuse in the 5 years or so I was hacking down brambles with it. It's the type with the straight shaft, apparently the cheaper models have a bent shaft instead of a geared head and they don't last so well.

I've used a Stihl, and they do the same work as my Ryobi at half the revs, which is probably why they last twice as long.

Still, value for money the Ryobi is good.

never tried to "pull start " a goat,,,,do they need pulling ?

Are you really from norfolk then ditchman? I thought this sort of knowledge was innate in us web footers :lol:

(sorry couldn't resist it :blush: )

Anyhow i've used a 2 stroke McCullough for a good number of years. Was a very good piece of kit until clumsy **** here stepped back on the trigger unit recently and it lost the battle to 17st :lol::lol: Going to buy another one though 'cos it has been totally relaible with years of abuse.

stihl,stihl,stihl last years n a day.sold 100s of them to councils contracors ,plant hire peeps.if you are having probs with your mccheepie drain it fully so no fuel at all,go to any car shop get a can of carburettor cleaner and removing the air filter cover totally drown your engine with it .mix a fresh batch of juice 25/1 is bestest and use your primer bulb to fill your engine start er up.if she runs ok its old fuel ,the oil in your petrol jellys and blocks the running jets in your carb,the carb cleaning solvent should clean it away.if she still runs poor it could be diaphragm ,spark plug,or electrical a good garden machinery mechanic can put in on a tachometer n tell you if its electrical .hope this helps from an ex stihl sales person that thinks theyre the dogs dangelers atb clakk :good: :good:

stihl,stihl,stihl last years n a day.sold 100s of them to councils contracors ,plant hire peeps.if you are having probs with your mccheepie drain it fully so no fuel at all,go to any car shop get a can of carburettor cleaner and removing the air filter cover totally drown your engine with it .mix a fresh batch of juice 25/1 is bestest and use your primer bulb to fill your engine start er up.if she runs ok its old fuel ,the oil in your petrol jellys and blocks the running jets in your carb,the carb cleaning solvent should clean it away.if she still runs poor it could be diaphragm ,spark plug,or electrical a good garden machinery mechanic can put in on a tachometer n tell you if its electrical .hope this helps from an ex stihl sales person that thinks theyre the dogs dangelers atb clakk :good: :good:

Got me worried now :blush: , I use Stihl oil in mine @ 50/1, garden machinery guy said it was O.K. :good: , but it does smoke a bit, should I use Stihl oil @ 25/1 ?

honda 4 stroke :good: buy cheap buy twice!

I have to agree, got two of them, one is an original 24cc one, about 15 yeras old, never missed a beat.

Also have a newer 35cc one, works hard, and does it quietly and reliably.

Both knock spots off the new Stihl euro 5 compliant models.

Neil. :)

I have a tanaka strimmer/brushcutter like this http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/brushcutters/tanaka-brushcutters/showitem-F1-TBC230S.aspx

I'm impressed with it to be honest. For the money it's very good and very well built. Starts easily. My only complaint would be that it comes with a strap not a proper harness and can get uncomfortable after a while. I would say its used for heavy duty domestic use and copes well. I looked at stihl and for the money I could only get the cheep ones with a bent shaft.

Huskavana brush cutter is what i have, I work it hard and have had it three years now without issues. the guy who does my climbing says its as good as it gets. I very rarely use the strimmer head as even the coated wire aint man enough for my use in the main

I already asked mine, they had no idea................which is not unusual. :no:

i married mine and she said not to get anything from Ryobi, i have broken a strimmer and a 20" chainsaw within 12mnths. her father bought one as he thought it was alright for his use - guess what thats in landfill also :rolleyes:

In my (considerable) experience, there are broadly two "classes" of strimmers - Pro and DIY.

But I would make a couple of caveats -

1) No bent shaft devices - they are poor, and unreliable, and they also place daft loads on the rest of the machine if used hard at all - and will soon give up the ghost.

2) Single sided cranks are absolute junk - these are often easily identified by the fact that the pull cord is the same side of the engine as the clutch ( and the drive to the head ).

The other thing i would advise, it steer clear of the smallest engines, I.E., the 25cc - they are too easy to overstress.

The best Pro strimmers also fall into two categories 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Best 4 stroke is Honda, no question at all - best 2 stroke is stihl - if you can break either of these, then you need one hand tying behind your back, or something, as you are being WAY WAY WAY too rough with the machine.

Best DIY strimmer in my experience is Ryobi, but Efco, Makita ( mostly obsolete now ), and Tanaka can be good machines, if treated with respect.

As with everything else, its Horses for courses, Buy the best you can afford.

I spend some time working on quite a few "little" petrol engines, and if you want any more direct info, feel free to PM me.

ATB

Sim

I don't know if I missed it somewhere, but how much use will it get?

I bought the Ryobi 25cc around three years ago and have not had any issues with it at all. But mine is just used to prune some hedges and grass edges once a week.

It can be swings and roundabouts with some of this gear, whats better, a £100 machine which lasts 5 years or a £300 one which lasts 15 years :hmm: The three £100 machines would probably be in warranty for a longer period, but some would argue the better machine won't need it....What to do what to do

My mate bought one after seeing mine, but went one better and got the 30cc with electronic starter B) ; Then after using it a while and it weighing almost twice as much as mine he removes the battery to save weight and uses the pull cord :blink:

Edited by Cosd

I have to agree, got two of them, one is an original 24cc one, about 15 yeras old, never missed a beat.

Also have a newer 35cc one, works hard, and does it quietly and reliably.

Both knock spots off the new Stihl euro 5 compliant models.

Neil. :)

I've got a Honda Brushcutter, rotavator and hedge trimmer. I think there superb.

What is worth noting is avalibility of spare parts.

You can buy every single part for the Honda's down to the smallest nut. I managed to break the choke lever on my Brushcutter and after a quick google search, i found the exploded diagrams, I got the official Honda part within 2 days for about £7 including p&p.

ATB