air guns are more efective than a shotty at rang

mr williamson

Your title air guns more efective than shotty at range.

OO 40yard 125 ft/lbs each pellet.

how the hell can no5 shot cary 125ftlbs at 40yds each pellet? I have a ballistic chart of shotgun cartridges from sporting gun thats were my info came from.each peice of No5 shot at 40yds carries less than 3 ftlbs thats a FACT!

Ya right squirrel is a fairly good meat pal, swines to skin mind, air rifles have there place and can be a dam good tool at times. I doubt you or anybody else will be posting 100+ bags of pigeon taken with one to frequently though.

The right tool for the right situation to say a sub 12 or any other air rifle is more effective than a shotgun is flawed fatally. Different tools different jobs.

And to be fair if people don't like being called morons or getting a little bit of stick ya should be a tad more careful what you post on open forums. Always gonna be someone to jump on ya nuts, and to be honest swiss tony does it in the most honest and quiet often most hilarious forms.

Karpman

I would not know what to do with 100+ pigeons, three or five are enough to deal with at once....

I shoot both shotgun and air gun and was suprised to see that a standard airgun thats producing a muzzle energy of 12ftlbs has around 7ftlbs striking energy at 40yds. A standard 30grm cartridge of 5 shot is a fairly normal cartridge that i use at ranges beyond 40yds and is very effective, now a peice of no5 shot has less than 1ftlb striking energy at 40yds. Is any 1 suprised by this?

Mr Williamson

how the hell can no5 shot cary 125ftlbs at 40yds each pellet? I have a ballistic chart of shotgun cartridges from sporting gun thats were my info came from.each peice of No5 shot at 40yds carries less than 3 ftlbs thats a FACT!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No 5 shot does not cary 125ftlbs at 40yds, who said it did ?

Edited by brian28

I would not know what to do with 100+ pigeons, three or five are enough to deal with at once....

This may be the case Mr mole but were talking about how a airgun is more effective than a shotgun at 40 yards. In a good number of cases the shotgun would be a favoured tool and a dam site more effective especially controlling pigeon numbers either roost shooting and or decoying since you can only shoot them for crop protection, which is what you should be doing at least.

Karpman

There is only one advantage to the air rifle and its reduced power. Regardless how anyone distorts it you couldn't kill rats or Ferals in a barn or cow shed with a 12 bore and a no.5 load. More humane? no an airgun is not any more humane BUT is perfectly effective at sensible ranges with a well placed shot. In practise ranges work out equal for both depending on skill - not dumb luck or bragging

As so many people have said they are incomparable. Shotguns are primarilly made for moving targets whereas airifles are fired generally at a stationary traget and definetly not at 40m.

My next point is unconfirmed so dont quote me on this. You fire a catridge of maybe 50 peices of lead (i aint a shotgun expert so if anyones got more realistic figures then let me know) at maybe 100 ftlb (again dont know) ok each pellet (or whatever its called) would appear to me to have 2 ftlb of energy. But its unlikely to be one shot that hits so ignoring bc and drag and all that sort of lazz you should get a multiple of this. I.E. 10 peices hit target 20 ftlb energy. This is far from real word and i dont even know if im right but ive done some physichs and I think i amy have something (hopefully).

I would say that also its surprising how little ftlb you need to kill and I've seen plenty of evidence from shotguns to show they are effective.

Incomparable and though im sure you have evidence I suspect that it is a total of energy (perhaps even on a kill zone)

Hope this helps and please dont hunt me down with desert spoons if im wrong! :yes:

As so many people have said they are incomparable. Shotguns are primarilly made for moving targets whereas airifles are fired generally at a stationary traget and definetly not at 40m.

My next point is unconfirmed so dont quote me on this. You fire a catridge of maybe 50 peices of lead (i aint a shotgun expert so if anyones got more realistic figures then let me know) at maybe 100 ftlb (again dont know) ok each pellet (or whatever its called) would appear to me to have 2 ftlb of energy. But its unlikely to be one shot that hits so ignoring bc and drag and all that sort of lazz you should get a multiple of this. I.E. 10 peices hit target 20 ftlb energy. This is far from real word and i dont even know if im right but ive done some physichs and I think i amy have something (hopefully).

I would say that also its surprising how little ftlb you need to kill and I've seen plenty of evidence from shotguns to show they are effective.

Incomparable and though im sure you have evidence I suspect that it is a total of energy (perhaps even on a kill zone)

Hope this helps and please dont hunt me down with desert spoons if im wrong! :yes:

Why not at 40 metres? I have a .177 zeroed to 35 metres so 40 metres is only one hold over, quite capable of bowling a bunny over at that range, popping a pigeon or persuading a pheasant to shuffle off it's mortal coil at that range too! Air rifles can be used at distances that may surprise a few people and we are talking sub 12 here, not FAC!

Airguns more effective than shotguns at range?-then you provide data relating to a single shotgun pellet?Shotguns are designed to hit moving targets and achieve this by firing a spread of shot-not a single pellet as does a puffgun.If you want more range on a shotgun simply increase your shot size-tighten up your choke or start smoking 3inch fun bundles.

Why not at 40 metres? I have a .177 zeroed to 35 metres so 40 metres is only one hold over, quite capable of bowling a bunny over at that range, popping a pigeon or persuading a pheasant to shuffle off it's mortal coil at that range too! Air rifles can be used at distances that may surprise a few people and we are talking sub 12 here, not FAC!

NO not what i meant I would use airifle for accuracy at 40 yds what i meant was you wouldnt go for a moving rabbit at 40m ive done it at short range with an airifle (ohh god here we go) but really the shotguns the better gun for the job.

Hope that clears it up and ive shot several rabbits at 40m with airifle

There is only one advantage to the air rifle and its reduced power. Regardless how anyone distorts it you couldn't kill rats or Ferals in a barn or cow shed with a 12 bore and a no.5 load. More humane? no an airgun is not any more humane BUT is perfectly effective at sensible ranges with a well placed shot. In practise ranges work out equal for both depending on skill - not dumb luck or bragging

if you ask me a shotgun is nowere near as humane as an air rifle with a well placed shot at range unless you a george dig weed. We all clip pheasants an sometimes nead to dispatch wounded game. Close range obviously but 40 yds+ not on your nelly. As said before air rifles are cabable of far more than credit is awarded. I prove this alot and i aint no slob with a shottie beleive me.

Edited by mr williamson

NO not what i meant I would use airifle for accuracy at 40 yds what i meant was you wouldnt go for a moving rabbit at 40m ive done it at short range with an airifle (ohh god here we go) but really the shotguns the better gun for the job.

Hope that clears it up and ive shot several rabbits at 40m with airifle

OK, it may not be what you meant but it is what you said lol! I agree, the air rifle is naff all use on a moving target, would never attempt to use it on one, if the target is moving the shotgun is the better weapon!

if you ask me a shotgun is nowere near as humane as an air rifle with a well placed shot at range unless you a george dig weed. We all clip pheasants an sometimes nead to dispatch wounded game. Close range obviously but 40 yds+ not on your nelly. As said before air rifles are cabable of far more than credit is awarded. I prove this alot and i aint no slob with a shottie beleive me.

Neither can guarantee a clean kill, Air, Shot, rim or centre fire, it's the tool for the job a shotgun is very versatile as the ability to change the load to suit the quarry is quick. Pigeon, fox, rabbit or deer.

The article you refer to is misinformative and energy is one component shot placement can be more accurate with a single projectile but that is condition dependant. 40 yds? Most would not consider that "range" 12 ft/lbs air and shotguns are both short range weapons.

Each has advantages, but dont let bored or unimaginative journalists paint the sky green and the grass blue!

Guest cookoff013

493 grains to a standard 12bore 32g 1400fps cartridge

2146 ftlbs muzzel energy.

now, lets take a look at a 12bore with a decent catridge 42g BB.

2816 ftlbs.

divided into 50 pieces of shot per ounce 75 per 1.5oz cartridge. is equil to 37.54 ftlbs per piece of shot.

comparing that to the old B2 airgun? its not even the same game. not even the same sport.

where the airgun excells is short range, applications.

the shotgun can do some serious "rangey shots"

OK, it may not be what you meant but it is what you said lol! I agree, the air rifle is naff all use on a moving target, would never attempt to use it on one, if the target is moving the shotgun is the better weapon!

yet stangely i cut my hunting teeth as a teenager hunting rats with a HW35 as they ran along the edges of the drainage cuts. It taught me lessons i still use regulary today with the .22 lr on rabbits. In the air i wouldn,t raise the rifle though. with the right practice and training moving targets are not too hard and its realy only in the UK they are off limits ;)

All i can say is i am no better than average with a shottie (that might be being generous), but can shoot with the best in the world with a rifle (and have :yes: ) yet i find the exact reverse

Id be with Kent on this. I am VERY avarage withan airgun and would only shoot at 40 yards in perfect conditions and if I had a good rest to shoot from. However at 40 yards its a ten out of ten shot with a 12g surely? Unless you are using a skeet gun, pretty much any shell you choose to use will fold game up stone dead at those ranges if you point it at them.

As said before, not really comparing like for like; at 40 yard there is going to be a lot of pellets hitting home.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the point that`s being missed here, is that with a shotgun the quarry is killed by multiple pellet strikes; not a single pellet as with an air weapon.

If you get a copy of the "Eley Shooters Diary" you will see that the `Minimum` required to kill a medium sized bird such as a Pheasant is a 3 pellet strike of 1.5 ft lbs. If you are using No: 5 shot which works out at around 2.0 ft lbs residual energy at 40 yrd a 3 pellet strike will deliver around 6ft lbs.

As `Cant hit Rabbits` has pointed out; if you plaster a Pheasant with 10 pellet strike of No 5 shot at 40 yrds the bird receives around 20 ft lb of energy and is probably only good for the ferret !