Led Lenser.

Muggins.

I have one complete with the gun mount kit. I think it's an excellent bit of kit. My only regret is that it doesn't have a red filter available but I'm getting round that by buying one of the surefire red beam torches that are subject of a long thread and group buy of components to modify original on this site. I now use both when lamping.

I have friends who have lamps that produce awesome beams of light but reckon in the end the P7 is just as effective for me and my purposes (rabbits out to 80 - 90 yards). There are those who say you can do better for the money but I don't know if any of them are on here or what they would suggest.

I doubt you'd be disappointed with the P7 which costs what it costs!

I have the similar T7 . The fact they take 4 x aaa makes them a bit bulky to mount on a scope . The beam seems to mushroom out over 70 yards or so and disperses quickly . I can get as bright a light to the same distance with a 2 x aa Terralux . For an even more compact LED there is a single aa Terralux which I think is good out to 60 yards . Great torches for half the price .

I have several including the P7. Good but not as good as the Ferei F/VI which focuses to a nice spot at a distance that makes it useful on a smaller .22cf (like a Hornet. Shhhhh Kent might be listening). Lorraine has a P5 for work which, though not as bright as the P7, has a better spot.

I think that many of the Cree torches are let down by the reflector which often could do with an extra few millimetres of play for a better spot.

I have a H7 head torch which is pretty awesome.. Also have an Extreme Beam Tac 24 SR which is great and would make a fantastic gun mounted tool. Paid close to £200 for it with import duty etc but it doesn't get the use it deserves... all boxed etc.. you can have it for £75 plus £5 p&p if that will do the job?

http://www.extremebeam.com/products_tac24SR.html

I have a p7 gun mount kit with filter kit red green blue and yellow they are a great torch and great for air rifles and .17 and .22.

Hadn't known you could buy a colour filter kit so thanks for that info. I'm sure they wweren't available when I bought my P7. Found a set on fleabay for £11+ delivered and ordered today so hoping that what I think is a very good bit of kit is about to become great.

I don't need a lamp to light the county just one that sits lightly on my scope and gives ennough light to see the rabbit out to 70+yrds. Colour filters increase its usefulness.

• 5 weeks later...

Hadn't known you could buy a colour filter kit so thanks for that info. I'm sure they wweren't available when I bought my P7. Found a set on fleabay for £11+ delivered and ordered today so hoping that what I think is a very good bit of kit is about to become great.

I don't need a lamp to light the county just one that sits lightly on my scope and gives ennough light to see the rabbit out to 70+yrds. Colour filters increase its usefulness.

The filters do tend to really kill the beam, more so the red one. Still might be good for shooting bunnies under 70 yards. Buy a box of quality street, eat the sweets and use the wrappers with an elastic for a huge variation of colours.

I have the p7 gun kit . I don't mount mine on the scope because I don't want the risk of knocking it and altering zero . I mount mine under the moderator on the 22 rimmy as it helps put the light in the right place without the risk of putting any glare on the scope . It doesn't really add anything significant to make the gun feel out of balance and I find it great for 100 yard shots .

Filters on LED lights aren't particularly effective (I am fairly confident I am correct on this but if not please correct me) this is due to the fact White LED light is a much more pure light (smaller spectrum of other light colours) compared to Halogen or Strobes which use filaments and produce a spectrum of Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet. Therefore, when you place a red filter in front of a White LED only a very small portion of light will actually pass through the Filter and this will result in a less than expected range/intensity. The solution to this problem is to chose Red LEDs. IR LEDs can be easily obtained also, however, these can often be seen as glowing faint purple. You can see if they are working but pointing your phone camera at them, you can also do this with your TV remote if you are easily amused by such things as I am. :) :) Just something to bare in mind with LEDs

The filters do tend to really kill the beam, more so the red one. Still might be good for shooting bunnies under 70 yards. Buy a box of quality street, eat the sweets and use the wrappers with an elastic for a huge variation of colours.

Great idea - my wife will be impressed and will, I am sure, volunteer to do the hard work with the chocolates!!!!