Which ear protection

T-Bolt94

Hello again folks, was just wondering what the best ear protection would be for a very reasonable price say around 10£ +/- £5ish don't want to spend a fortune but what to protect my hearing when on the range to an acceptable level. Would plugs be best? or full over head defenders?

Thanks

Hello again folks, was just wondering what the best ear protection would be for a very reasonable price say around 10£ +/- £5ish don't want to spend a fortune but what to protect my hearing when on the range to an acceptable level. Would plugs be best? or full over head defenders?

Thanks

I reckon my hearing is worth more than a tenner. If you damage yours you will, I am sure, agree yours was too.

There is choice out there though for around £10. At this price I reckon over ears might be safest - but hot and sweaty after a while. This place has some "in ear" defenders for £15 http://myhuntingshop.com/surefire-ear-protector-ep4-sonic-defender-plus.html - don't know how comfy they are.

Personally I would spend more and go for at least something like the Napier Pro9 as you can hear speech with them but they protect your hearing! They don't suffer from being badly fitting "in ear" nor sweaty ear bakers either. I used them till I got some fitted in ear defenders and carry them in my gun bag as a spare set. Costs £25 but I urge you to consider spending the extra. I am saving pennies for a set of CENS but cost of them is eye watering and could get a new rifle for the same money but they have to be the ultimate.

I use a set of specially made plugs from these guys : Look Here Most folk at the ground go for them, they cost just under £100 and are really worth it for there passive version, you can have them made to take I Pod speakers or have electronics etc, you attend a local hearing aid centre and they take a mould of your ears, then collect at a later date. The military are also issueing them to the troops. You can get them in variour colours aswell.

chiefy

Edited by clanchief

I got some 'shooters aid' ear plugs from a well known auction site for about twelve quid if I remember correctly. They only block noises over a certain level so speach etc. remains unaffected meaning you don't have to learn to lip read. They were not very comfortable when I first wore them but either the they are softening up or I'm getting used to wearing them and they do work well.

Guest cookoff013

why oh why do you only want to get the bare minimum of earprotection.

"man" up and get some optomeIII ear defenders. they can be had for £15. and offer beyond minimal ear protection.

Personalyl I would buy the best I could afford I now where CENS for all my shooting and as I wore cheap when I was younger and believed a moderated rifle would not damage my hearing I wear a hearing aid when not shooting.

You only get one chance to protect your ears don't waste it. It only takes one unlucky exposure I'm 31 so not an old man either.

Edited by welshwarrior

You obviously do not know anyone who is deaf/suffers hearing problems.Do not spend what 1 box of cartridges costs,spend what a slab costs and get decent ones.The one unspoken about but by far most common shooting injury is hearing.It really is important to either get some in ear made ones,or decent muff type ones.£50/£60 may sound(poor pun) alot but over a life time of shooting it is a tiny price to pay.If you asked my father,who is totally deaf,due in no small part to shotguns what he would pay now for good hearing protection......I promise you he would say a tenner.

atb.

sorry would NOT say a tenner.....

I'm thinking of getting a set of CENS Proflex. I currently use MSA Sordins but find I get hot sweaty ears. A couple of weeks ago I saw a lad whist clay shooting with the CENS and asked his opinion on them, to which he replied that he didn't rate them that well. This has made me a bit hesitant on spending that sort of money. Your opinions would be welcome as I don't want to make an expensive mistake

Cheers

Tom

Iv just bought a ACU-LIFE PRO-FIT moulded earplug kit,they are a two part mixture that when half of each resin-putty is mixed together,you push it in your tabhole,wait 10 minutes to cure and hey presto,perfect custom fitting ear protection for just £16 !!!!!!!! :good: :good:

I currently use ACS moulded ear plugs with "sonic valves". They cost about £90 and I got the moulding done at Boots. They work well and will do for me till I can afford CENS plugs.

Anyone who has paid what a pair of CENS cost should not be settling for anything other than excellence given their cost so those who have bought and find them a problem - take them back - that's what guarantees are for!

To OP buy the Napier 9 or 10 if you can't afford more. If you can afford more then ask yourself why you are prepared to risk damage to yourself by being tight with regard to such an important piece of kit.

I currently use ACS moulded ear plugs with "sonic valves". They cost about £90 and I got the moulding done at Boots. They work well and will do for me till I can afford CENS plugs.

Anyone who has paid what a pair of CENS cost should not be settling for anything other than excellence given their cost so those who have bought and find them a problem - take them back - that's what guarantees are for!

To OP buy the Napier 9 or 10 if you can't afford more. If you can afford more then ask yourself why you are prepared to risk damage to yourself by being tight with regard to such an important piece of kit.

Hi pal I'm looking to get some of those ACS ear plugs would you recomend them as my local hearing aid shop sells these types., as I really can't warrant over £400. For a pair of CENS ear plugs :no: regardless how good they are

Picked up a set of shooter aid for rough shooting although looking into a set of Muffs for range shooting are the neckband ones any good at staying on your ears or do they fall off? this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peltor-Optime-2-neckband-Ear-Defenders-/251096592119?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item3a7685eef7#ht_500wt_1158) is an example incase any body is unsure. Thanks :)

I'm using a pair of Peltor Sport Tac jobbies and they do the job very well :good:

Bear in mind that hearing damage can still be done if just using the in-ear bung type ear-defenders :blink:

Yes, that is why I am after some Muffs for range/Clay work cause plugs I feel in my opinion are more suited to rough shooting where you still need to have a good spacial awareness and be able to hear things moving to some extend :)

So you feel the neckband holds well or as good as the head band?

Hi pal I'm looking to get some of those ACS ear plugs would you recomend them as my local hearing aid shop sells these types., as I really can't warrant over £400. For a pair of CENS ear plugs :no: regardless how good they are

Yes, I find them very comfortable and though they have a slightly deafening effect when fitted I can hear conversation easily enough. They certainly do what they are meant to do reducing the noise levels of gun reports. I hate over ear defenders or I would buy some electronic ones as I don't like being deafened as you are by passive devices including foam plugs.

I looked at my local hearing centre but they were cheaper by signing up to Boots Hearing Club (something like that anyway) online. You get a discount as a member on anything related to hearing kit incl. ear defenders. Once subscribed I then made appointment for local Boots to take the mouldings. I think it saved about £10 - £15 doing it through them.

I have a couple of mates who put me onto them who have had theirs for quite a few years and wouldn't use anything else.