Wild White rabbits ??

mad1

Hi all on my way to work tonight I am sure I saw a small White rabbit eating along the roadside :blink: I know you can get black rabbits but is it common to see a White one ......

I thought it must have possibly been a released pet but it was at least 4 mile from any houses

So question is have you shot one and would you if you saw one :yp:

Edited by mad1

I have come across both black and white rabbits out in the country. I am sure each has been a pet release. You can usually tell, because they are tame and don't scarper like the wild ones. Not very kind because they don't last very long, they are very susceptible to predation. :no:

I've never seen a white one but the odd black one shows up every now and then. The black one looked wild because it wasn't tame. It disappeared after a while though, to predators I suspect.

There's also been the odd ginger one about as well.

white and black can occur in the wild. white i suspect is less prevelent as its more evident to preditors especially avain ones. The forest up the road from me is said to have had a lot of white rabbits in it pre-mixi days, according to the old guys round here perhaps they were hidden in the woods and to be fair back in the 40's and 50's keepers did as they pleased (those days are long gone now)

Black is far from uncommon

i shot a white one a couple weeks ago. well white with black ears. it was on a friends permission.

i was walkin down the side of a haggered rape field carrying me gear to set up . i seen a few regular

wild rabbits run off the bare patches into the rape then i see a white one run in the rape :lol: i kept walkin

then another whitey ran out :o put me gear down,got me gun out loaded it walked another 10 yards and a third white one ran out ''BANG '' :D picked it up went and found the lad who's perm it was :lol: he was :o

although the ones i seen behaved pretty wild i reckon they have been pets in the not to distant past

over the years i'v seen and shot quite a few black un's aswell.

Edited by miroku moocher

Shot a couple of black ones, no whites. Black ones are vulnerable too. On a bare field or against grass at last light they show up a treat.

They were certainly wild and other than colour identical to the wild greys. Didn't see any evidence of domestic cross breeding. Just genetic oddities I reckon, like vegans and Liberals. :lol: :yp:

its not white but here is a pic i took a couple of months ago of a funny coloured rabbit (top right). most of the rabbits in the area this one was in are orangy colour, this one is a lot lighter. you can see a normal coloured one in the foreground (bottom left). pics not great as its off my phone but you can see the colours.

post-29954-0-91927400-1341946385.jpg

Hi all on my way to work tonight I am sure I saw a small White rabbit eating along the roadside :blink: I know you can get black rabbits but is it common to see a White one ......

I thought it must have possibly been a released pet but it was at least 4 mile from any houses

bang right i wood saw a brown and white 1 once fair to say it did not go home

Never seen an all white wild rabbit but if I ever did I wouldnt hesitate in shooting it. :yes:

bang right i wood saw a brown and white 1 once fair to say it did not go home

I would walk past a field full of grey ones just to shoot the white one just as Tony would. :lol:

Afew different colour ones that I have shot in the past.

P8252853-1.jpg

P6282834.jpg

P8042474-1.jpg

P8012470-1.jpg

Right after another drive past today on way to work it's there again happily munching away along side of road !!I took a photo but excuse the quality as i was driving also :oops: Who does the roadside belong to :hmm: it looks like someone's ex floppsy !?!?b0b7f42f.jpg

Edited by mad1

• 3 weeks later...