cockapoo breeders

james79

anyone know of any cockapoo breeders in scotland or the lake district area wife nagging for one and is wanting a light coloured one not black or chocolate only ones i found local was black if anyone knows any breeders or any going let me know thanks

Ahhhh... I have just acquired a Border Terrier x poodle...

the coats are completely hypoalergenic and non shedding hence the popularity of crossing any breed with a poodle... 2 severely asthmatic kids is good enough reason..

Plus... Poodles are one of the most intelligent dogs out there, bred as hunting dogs, they make great retrievers (particularly from water) and trackers. Hopefully some of that intelligence and genetics will rub off on the other breed. Spaniels are known for being nuts... the qualities of a spaniel plus the intelligence of a poodle... one can see the attraction!

Edited by Vipa

Friends of mine paid £750 for a black and tan one of those. Oh how I laughed :lol:

I was staggered when someone my mum knows with a labradoodle was out walking with it while in season and a cockerpoo jumped it. Had 12 pups and all sold for that figure its truly barmy

Ahhhh... I have just acquired a Border Terrier x poodle...

Plus... Poodles are one of the most intelligent dogs out there, bred as hunting dogs, they make great retrievers (particularly from water) and trackers.

I agree completely with you assuming it has been bred with a proper Poodle and not a miniature Poodle which is bred purely for looks and size over the last however many years and not for hunting ability. I would assume they have actually been bred to take the hunting instinct out of them so they just become "toy" dogs.

Edited by ferguson_tom

I agree completely with you assuming it has been bred with a proper Poodle and not a miniature Poodle which is bred purely for looks and size over the last however many years and not for hunting ability. I would assume they have actually been bred to take the hunting instinct out of them so they just become "toy" dogs.

No... that would be a toy poodle.. miniatures are between cocker and springer in size.. standards are huge and toy are about the size of a small terrier... now they even have tea-cup poodles!

http://www.ehow.com/about_5093101_miniature-poodle-information.html

With regards to the breeding out of hunting ability, I think it is fair to apply that to most breeds of dog nowadays... of all the dogs out there with a few exceptions that don't lend themselves to being pets (of the working/hunting variety) the majority are kept as family pets or show dogs and so hunting abilities will have been overlooked and not been part of the breeding plan.

I haven't got a clue what I'm going to end up with with Buster when he grows up but at the end of the day he wasn't bougt as a working dog but as a companion for me who I can HOPEFULLY train to follow a blood trail should I ever need him to, and it is said that most family pets can be trained to do this as any dogs nose is better than no dogs nose! Need to stop him tearing my hands to shreds when we're playing though!

Edited by Vipa

what a crock of rubbish they are mongrels SIMPLZZZZZZZZ.... worth nowt in my opinion how many times .....BEES WITH BEES & BIRDS WITH BIRDS :good: :good:

And.... you qre quite entitled to your opinion..... sometimes, if it's going to involve insulting someone's new pride and joy... it might be a great idea to keep your opinions to your self! :rolleyes:

Edited by Vipa

And.... you qre quite entitled to your opinion..... sometimes, if it's going to involve insulting someone's new pride and joy... it might be a great idea to keep your opinions to your self! :rolleyes:

not today vipa :lol: :lol: :lol: opinions are like those things at the top of our legs everyones got one ....have a nice day mate i'm off to walk me pedigree :lol: :lol:

Vipa, why a poodle cross? As I understand it if you cross a poodle with a cocker for example like my friends have got you either get a poodle coat type that sheds less, a cocker coat type that will shed the same as a cocker or a cross of the two that will also shed.

If your kids are allergic why not just get a poodle?

I'm not against any of these crosses unless they are bad for the dogs health but what gets on my tits is people breeding just for the money.

Harry

Vipa, why a poodle cross? As I understand it if you cross a poodle with a cocker for example like my friends have got you either get a poodle coat type that sheds less, a cocker coat type that will shed the same as a cocker or a cross of the two that will also shed.

If your kids are allergic why not just get a poodle?

I'm not against any of these crosses unless they are bad for the dogs health but what gets on my tits is people breeding just for the money.

Harry

I desperately wanted a Border Terrier but the shedding was just not acceptable to the wife (I tried!!!) The kids didn't seem to react though and we made sure they were heavily exposed.

I really dislike poodles as a pure breed, whilst they have thier attributes I just don't like the way they look.. The idea here was to (hopefully) get something BT design with the positive bits from a poodle (i.e. coat & intelligence) I realise it's a lottery, I could end up with a poodle with BT coat & mentality but.. fingers crossed, up to now it seems to be going the right way..

The breeder deliberately crosses these two for exactly the reasons we want and so knows what they should turn out like, mum and dad are both KC registered pedigree (mum is the BT by the way.) And... he was only £200 so I don't feel like I've had my eyes taken out as with some of the Cockerpoo prices.

DH the reason is could you be taken seriously deerstalking with this :lol:

poodle-2.jpg

Yup! :lol:

Fair enough. I'm not a fan of the poodle with the full on Crufts haircut but I think they look ok just cut the same length all over like the top one in the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poodle

Are you really going to go stalking with a border mini poodle cross?

Harry

Yup :D

Well... actually, more like he will come with me when I go stalking and depending what he ends up like either stay in the car untill needed or come out with me if he is capable... at the end of the day all I want is a dogs nose to find runners should I need to and something to keep me warm in my sleeping bag on a night... he's already turning into a loyal best pal.. follows me whereever I go and just wants to be in contact with me all the time! he's only little though!

I must say though... the Standard Poodle at the baseball game in that link looks like a cool dude!

Edited by Vipa