cockapoo breeders

james79

Couldn't agree more. If you want a good hunting dog get a spaniel with proven blood lines. 'nuff said :good:

be the worst mistake he could ever make in this circumstances, as much use as tits on a bull in terms of a stalking companion

yup you stand half a chance of keeping something that size quiet

That's what I need... Ninja Puppy! half way there already with the colour :lol:

Seriously though... Alex is right in one respect, Borders tend to be quiet dogs.. one of the reasons I wanted one in the first place

Even worse than a terrier crossed with a poodle? :huh:

You mean a hunting dog crossed with a... ummm... hunting dog ?

Look... I'm not saying he will perform like a Teckel or a GWP or a blood hound... but he might!

First and formost he is my pal.. and up to now... he's doing a very good job! If I wanted an out and out worker.. he wouldn't have got the job and he would be living outside in a kennel.. that's not what I wanted...

Can't believe there is so much dog snobbery!

I can't believe anyone suggested a spanner as a stalking companion :lol:

I'd also suggest that at times on game borders are far from quiet, but that does mean let it off on a trail and you will hear where its gone and then be able to catch up while it finishes "killing" an already dead deer

I can't believe anyone suggested a spanner as a stalking companion :lol:

I'd also suggest that at times on game borders are far from quiet, but that does mean let it off on a trail and you will hear where its gone and then be able to catch up while it finishes "killing" an already dead deer

yep... that sound's like my vision :lol::lol: no need for tracking collars then!

the 2 BTs I 'know' never bark, never growl... I may have a blinkered view.. never been with one out 'on the job' ooer :oops:

Blimey... this has got off topic..

He's cute, he's gorgeous and just want's to be near to me! He's currently fast asleep nuzzled into the back of my neck on the top of my sofa! do ya know... I have bonded with him so much, I really don't care if he turns out to be completely useless in the field!

He's cute, he's gorgeous and just want's to be near to me! He's currently fast asleep nuzzled into the back of my neck on the top of my sofa! do ya know... I have bonded with him so much, I really don't care if he turns out to be completely useless in the field!

then you have a perfect companion enjoy him to the full ....... i have a very similar situation as i have a pedigree lab who does everything i ask of him, is he perfect NO, is he clued up on the style of hunting i do YES, will he make a trial dog i don't know because it's not what i wanted, is he a loyal loving pal YOU BET HE IS.......

non the less i still dont agree with the fashionable cross breeding and big money that is becoming popular these days

Its all a learning curve and a lot depends how they are brought up, my GWP sits under a high seat fine for hours doesn't bat an eyelid at most things till the other night she had a rabbit come within 2 feet of her :rolleyes: lets just say I was glad the lead wasn't attached to the ladder as it just tipped her over the edge :lol:

Get them used to coming out and you get the most chance,, the plus point with a terrier is you can take it out pretty much from day 1

then you have a perfect companion enjoy him to the full ....... i have a very similar situation as i have a pedigree lab who does everything i ask of him, is he perfect NO, is he clued up on the style of hunting i do YES, will he make a trial dog i don't know because it's not what i wanted, is he a loyal loving pal YOU BET HE IS.......

non the less i still dont agree with the fashionable cross breeding and big money that is becoming popular these days

I agree completely... this one ceretainly ain't a designer pup.. purely bred for the coat and hopefully none of the genetic & health issues suffered by purebreds. I do like labs.. just too big for me.. there'd be no room left in my sleeping bag :lol:

Its all a learning curve and a lot depends how they are brought up, my GWP sits under a high seat fine for hours doesn't bat an eyelid at most things till the other night she had a rabbit come within 2 feet of her :rolleyes: lets just say I was glad the lead wasn't attached to the ladder as it just tipped her over the edge :lol:

Get them used to coming out and you get the most chance,, the plus point with a terrier is you can take it out pretty much from day 1

Yep good point...

Any pointers on when & how to introduce him to gunfire?

mine started lamping sitting in the truck with moderated HMR's and went from there that was at 16 weeks old and she will if left to her devices when foxing now just sleep on the back seat till a shot then get up ready for action. If you go lamping then it can be a decent way to start if it will sit quietly enough, then take it from there. Once you let them see what you've shot and they associate rifles with fun then they don't tend to think about it as being a bad noise. if you just shoot larger cals then assuming they are moderated you just keep the dog a bit further away to start with, its no where near as hard as getting them used to shotguns where the shots are louder and far more frequent.

mine started lamping sitting in the truck with moderated HMR's and went from there that was at 16 weeks old and she will if left to her devices when foxing now just sleep on the back seat till a shot then get up ready for action. If you go lamping then it can be a decent way to start if it will sit quietly enough, then take it from there. Once you let them see what you've shot and they associate rifles with fun then they don't tend to think about it as being a bad noise. if you just shoot larger cals then assuming they are moderated you just keep the dog a bit further away to start with, its no where near as hard as getting them used to shotguns where the shots are louder and far more frequent.

with pups i have always got them used to noise before bangs as in kicking the metal feed bowls and water bowls after they are empty and move on progressively as they get used to louder things

Thanks chaps...

Is there any milage, while he is really young, in popping balloons and getting closer and closer to him, possibly giving him a treat when he hears a bang?

Sorry vipa but alot of us weatherbound chaps take great delight in expressing outrageous opinions and insulting one another on PW if you take that away we'd be as well joining the children on THL so show us your poodacock. :lol:

He's a Border Terrorpoo! :lol:

post-21717-0-77941500-1342020776.jpg

That's what I need... Ninja Puppy! half way there already with the colour :lol:

Seriously though... Alex is right in one respect, Borders tend to be quiet dogs.. one of the reasons I wanted one in the first place

Alex it depends on the spaniel Vipa knows my springer and you could not get a quieter dog 7 years old and has never once barked.

He's a one man dog just ignores every one else when im around he's a real pal...

:good: :good: :good:

ferreting013.jpg

Edited by hawkeye