Snap caps ???

Northamptonclay

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

General consensus is on any modern gun, post blunderbuss, then snap caps are not necessary....except when the windows are open and your desk papers are all a flutter.

(And yes, I am aware the blunderbuss was more akin to a muzzle-loader so no springs. I was merely giving an idea to age)

General consensus is on any modern gun, post blunderbuss, then snap caps are not necessary....except when the windows are open and your desk papers are all a flutter.

(And yes, I am aware the blunderbuss was more akin to a muzzle-loader so no springs. I was merely giving an idea to age)

What fire without or leave cocked ?

Here we go again.

Personally I use them. They cost a few quid and put my mind at rest( and the springs)!

I was advised against dry firing as it can damage the firing pins. But unless advice is given by 'team Vaseline' off here then it's absolute rubbish as they are regarded as the highest authority on snap caps. :o :o :o

Tin hat on, INCOMING !!!

If you don't use them, you leave the hammer springs under tension.

If you do, you leave the ejector springs under tension.

If your gun is an ejector, you would need to ask yourself what the point of snap caps was.

Beats me, but I take the suspension springs off my cars every night, just so no damage occurs.

If you don't use them, you leave the hammer springs under tension.

If you do, you leave the ejector springs under tension.

If your gun is an ejector, you would need to ask yourself what the point of snap caps was.

Beats me, but I take the suspension springs off my cars every night, just so no damage occurs.

Cheers Gordon, one of the best most sensible replies :good:

Had not even thought about ejectors

Edited by Northamptonclay

OK I can't resist it, and before this gets locked I'll give you a specific example.

Amongst my guns I have an AYA no 3, which is a non-ejector. It's a lovely gun, well over 30 years old and I want to look after it.

It so happens a neighbour of mine is Nigel Teague, you might have heard the name.

He told me stories of a great many firing pins going in these guns and advised me in strong terms to always use snap caps in it, as a new firing pin fitted could cost me £££, and as snap caps don't cost much I reckon that's not bad advice. I also can't really fault the source either.

In contrast I also own a fairly new Beretta Silver Pigeon in which I don't use them, and I do dry fire it after cleaning.