GRIMSTHORPE

100milesaway

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going just to make sure that my team place is secure, i used to love this ground but last year it was tough, but after shooting some of the other selection shoots probably about the same standard, just get your head down and do your best...But then Mark may surprise us all and make it more hittable....I know Ed likes hard targets but although enjoyable by some sections of the sport, don't do a great deal for encouraging shooters of lesser ability to drive 6 hours to shoot a challenging course...

I'm shooting sunday, see you there.

Dennis Webb

Well i thought the course was good, i shot 86...not many gimmies...tailormade for Ed, had to get your head down on everything, 94 was leading when i left, surprised no scoreboard up....still it was nice to get home at 2pm and i live in south essex, gave the old merc 500 sports a run out, no cops on the road, still did 27 miles to the gallon...a mgood day out.

Dennis

I agree with much of what you said Ed, the problems is i took a shooter with me and this was his first time here and he never made 50% even though he is not a bad shot, i also saw many other older shooters ( they were probably my age but i have been told i am younger than my years), struggle badly, although you will probably say an easy target is a wasted target i always believe that the sport is for every ability and every age group, and in my opinion they were set on the hard side, i did tell Mark that, thats is the problem with English Sporting, its always been a discipline without any real standards......its become all things to all ground owners....still 3 birds behind you Ed cannot be that bad, and i did cream you at the Soutthdown Selection shoot......who won the vets? :good:

Dennis the menance

I shot it today with El Magnifico, it’s the first time I have been to Grimsthorpe and it will not be my last.

I thought the targets were very good and the shoot well run, I have been off form recently but I actually thought I turned a bit of a corner today. I had some very silly mistakes but ended up with a 74, the main thing was I enjoyed the shoot a lot, unlike last week.

A 74 on this shoot made me smile more than an 86 on an easier shoot a few weeks back. :yes:

Not surprised you did- it's a locals ground :-)

Good 78 at Wyle though ;-)

I didn't hear any moans, and I shot round with someone who did a 61. Again I suppose it's a matter of opinion but I think the majority of layouts now bear no resemblance to what they used to when sporting was booming. And also it's an England team selection and should be set as such in my view.

Well done mark I say.

Sounds like just the type of shoot I've been looking for, some tasty testing stuff. And one I couldn't get to.Have to agree with Ed Solomons some shoots should be set quite hard for national level. Have to have something to sort the wheat from the chaff.Were they far out targets or tricky angles catching people, what made it a difficult shoot?

Figgy

A perfect set of targets for an England team selection shoot.I shot round with the Army Team and really enjoyed the crack with them, even if i did only manage a 73 I really enjoyed it. I just wish they would put more shoots on at Grimsthorpe.Also ate a very freshly made cheese sarny, better than the normal stale bread which normally gets served up on a Sunday. from Auntie. :good:

Just shows you don't need to put a high score in to enjoy the days shooting when your tested and shown good targets.

Sounds like you had a great day Auntie, hope Park Lodge puts a good layout on for next Sunday.

Figgy

Does it really matter about a selection shoot for the Home Internationals, we have only lost twice since its conception....our 'C' team would still be hard to beat. When i was involved in the managment of English Sporting i approached my contacts in France to see if they would liked to be involved in the Home Internationls and send a team, a sort of 5 nations cup, The CPSA supported it and to everyones surprise they agreed only to be vetoed by Ireland at a full meeting... they would have given us a run for our money.....I thought Wylyle was **** how can you put a 6ft 4inch 23 stone shooter in a 3ft by 6ft 2 high cage and expect them to shoot at targets set up for right handed shooters, i felt like a caged Rhino, i banged my gun and elbows on the sides....It was ill thought out and ****.

Still i am in the team after an absence of 32 years, that was the last time i was in the England sporting team, 1980.

Dennis and who won the vets? :good:

Excellent shoot realy good targets by my opinion. Well done ed good result getting in team. I had a real chance of making it myself with 15 points needing one more shoot to count and blew it today

-:) am not a happy man:-/

Its a busy calender over the next few weeks, Meon Springs next week, Dutch grand prix the week after, Digweeds 2 day selection shoot after that and a host of others, not sure if i can make the Worlds, its a hard life....and i have a fully fitted out gymn, it looks great, sauna, steam room and indoor pool,,, the grandchildren love them...oh to be as skinny as you, i was 12 stone at one time, i will have to try to get it off, the trouble is this year has been difficult getting fit with do much flu around...

Dennis

Excellent shoot realy good targets by my opinion. Well done ed good result getting in team. I had a real chance of making it myself with 15 points needing one more shoot to count and blew it today

-:) am not a happy man:-/

You've been shooting well mate- do it next year! I ended on 14 points from the 4 I did. Pretty sure I'm in the world team now so mission accomplished for another year. Where's my pipe and slippers....