GRIMSTHORPE

100milesaway

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot take your money ed, we can have a re-run at the World, i had the same problem as last year, done all the hard work, then lost it over the last 4 stands, i never took any water with me and there was no refreshment half way round, i just ain't fit enough for these marathons, at my age i need a break halfway, the last 4 stands were not hard, its just i had the shakes, starting that early and nothing to eat or drink made it really punishing...what was really annoying was forgetting my boots and shooting with wet feet all round, then getting back to the car and finding my boots stuffed behind the seat...I thought the staff did great getting it sorted in all that mud, it must have been soul destroying.

Dennis

Well, you can't say fairer than that, once Ed's got back into using his £10k scaffold pole, let the best man win, although I think Den deserves a few birds grace, as the shoot at "Sweetslade" is bound to be a toughie, with a lot of walking up hill and down dale between stands..?? :hmm:

Cat.

Well Dennis fair is fair, you won fair and square! If you don't want it I'm happy to bung it to a charity of your choosing.

Happy with a re run at sweetslade- will even give to a few more as a head start as it's 200 birder and my gun will be being used and ill be firing on all cylinders by then (hopefully). Despite not being in the best of moods to enjoy it it seemed a decent shoot to me, a bit slow going round but target wise fine, and nice to have a couple trade stands etc there to make it a bit more than your bog standard do.

Well shot Den, guess next time I see you we will be all fighting under the same flag and you can buy me that ice cream!

Well Dennis fair is fair, you won fair and square! If you don't want it I'm happy to bung it to a charity of your choosing.

Happy with a re run at sweetslade- will even give to a few more as a head start as it's 200 birder and my gun will be being used and ill be firing on all cylinders by then (hopefully). Despite not being in the best of moods to enjoy it it seemed a decent shoot to me, a bit slow going round but target wise fine, and nice to have a couple trade stands etc there to make it a bit more than your bog standard do.

Well shot Den, guess next time I see you we will be all fighting under the same flag and you can buy me that ice cream!

Meant the comment from Ed !!! :blush: :blush:

How did you do at the beretta Rob? i saw you there but you were shooting so i could not stop for a chat.

bornfree aka chippy

I did 100, missed far too many "easy" birds, having shot it I knew that 116 was likely to be beaten, and I correctly predicted by whom.

Overall I thought it was a good shoot with some fair targets, not too sure about mixing up the "Compak" style with the English Sporting layout, I was behind a squad full of Game Shooters and they were thoroughly perplexed by it, just couldn't get the hang of it.

How about you..??

Cat.

We shot it on the friday and having never shot this event at Meon Springs before I wasn't sure what to expect :hmm:

Target wise I thought they did a good enough job with the ground they have but for my money there were too many L-R R-L crossing midis and a fair few going away birds (as most other shoots these days).Would have liked to have seen some BIG targets on that really grabbed your attention as they used to at Roundwood in the past :yes:

I enjoyed the 'Compak' stands but don't really think they should be used on a sporting course, also there were hold ups on them whilst the gameshooting fraternity engaged their brains to read the menu :lol:

Finished on 107 which I was fairly happy with,could have been much worse if it wasn't for masking tape & cardboard ;)

Azzurri

I did a 93 at the Beretta World, which was a bit disappointing after my 101 last year <_<

I dropped too many silly easy ones this time, which I didn't last year.

I was concentrating very well last year, but seemed to be back to my usual careless **** this year :oops:

Can't make my mind up whether this one was a bit tougher. Most of the people I know who did it both years were down this year. :hmm:

Enjoyed it as always, just a shame about the weather. The last two years have been sunny and hot, but constant rain this year.

Edited by Chard

Years ago lads, compak style was part of English Sporting, together with flushes and flurries, they did seem to run out of ideas on some stands, not enough height, but all said and done they did a good job, my gripe was staggering to the toilet halfway round only to find they had run out of paper, i had to go to the wallet, to my horror the smallest note was a tenner, i really need that tenner now ed.....and of course why don't they have refreshments halfway round. they could have had a quad bike going round with drinks and a sandwich.

Dennis

I did 100, missed far too many "easy" birds, having shot it I knew that 116 was likely to be beaten, and I correctly predicted by whom.

Overall I thought it was a good shoot with some fair targets, not too sure about mixing up the "Compak" style with the English Sporting layout, I was behind a squad full of Game Shooters and they were thoroughly perplexed by it, just couldn't get the hang of it.

How about you..??

Cat.

102 i was going well and missing odd ones and two's until the stand with the midi off the tower and the low orange 1/4 away.i hit 3 didnt hit the midi at all still dont know why.finished well though, only dropped one from the last 4 stands.

bornfree

Good score. I shot a 106 an won B. My best ever peformance and not sure why? Didn't feel as though I had to force any thing like usual, still missed my bogey birds though so will be training on those!! Can only put it down to good instructors, and shooting lots of different grounds recently(GB Selections). For my first Beretta Worlds I really enjoyed it , but think the comment about low birds true, a fantastic layout none the less, well done!!

Yes, the low driven was a real Health & Safety nightmare, it's no wonder that so few course setters put on birds like this, it's just too risky.

Whilst I was waiting to shoot and watching the squad in front, a battue came off the arm broken into about 3 or 4 pieces, I yelled "heads", fortunately the guy in the direct line of the biggest broken bit took heed of my call and moved his head just in time, otherwise it would have taken his front teeth out, I kid you not..!! :blink:

Some good scores there by other PW members, well shot Guys, let's hope for better weather next year..? :good:

Cat.

P.S. - Have just received an e-mail from GMK requesting "feedback" on the shoot, haven't opened it yet, that's a first, an organiser actually asking for opinions from the shooters, whatever next..?? :hmm:

Yes, the low driven was a real Health & Safety nightmare, it's no wonder that so few course setters put on birds like this, it's just too risky.

Whilst I was waiting to shoot and watching the squad in front, a battue came off the arm broken into about 3 or 4 pieces, I yelled "heads", fortunately the guy in the direct line of the biggest broken bit took heed of my call and moved his head just in time, otherwise it would have taken his front teeth out, I kid you not..!! :blink:

Some good scores there by other PW members, well shot Guys, let's hope for better weather next year..? :good:

Cat.

P.S. - Have just received an e-mail from GMK requesting "feedback" on the shoot, haven't opened it yet, that's a first, an organiser actually asking for opinions from the shooters, whatever next..?? :hmm:

Hi Cat, nice to hear that the organisers are asking for feedback, IF they take the comments on board & learn from them is a differant thing tho !!!

Regarding the no bird from the battue trap, i assume that there was no safety screen to hide the trap & prevent a potential danger & safety hazard then ??....MMM, who set the course ???

i must admit i was surprised to see this stand, the traps were screened but battues should never be low driven, low driven birds should be a thing of the past , i got hit in Portugal by a simalar target. it hit the tendens on the back of my hand and its still painful .

i filled in the feedback form, my real beef was shooting 120 targets without a break or refreshments on the course, its the one big problem with squadding.

Dennis