GRIMSTHORPE

100milesaway

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good score. I shot a 106 an won B. My best ever peformance and not sure why? Didn't feel as though I had to force any thing like usual, still missed my bogey birds though so will be training on those!! Can only put it down to good instructors, and shooting lots of different grounds recently(GB Selections). For my first Beretta Worlds I really enjoyed it , but think the comment about low birds true, a fantastic layout none the less, well done!!

Well shot :good:

Dennis:

1. Lose some weight/exercise.

2. Put a bottle of water and a snack in your bag.

3. Go to the toilet before you start.

4. Please, for the love of god, stopping ******* and moaning about every single shoot you go to. There's no wonder more grounds can't be bothered with the hassle of putting these things on.

Well wingnut they did ask for our comments, yes it was pouring down when we went out, last year they did have a drink stand halfway down, it was too late to go back, should they have toilet paper in the toilets...what do you think, i made a light hearted joke about it, i wasn't the only over weight fat *** trying to get around in the mud, i think there where 200 odd veterans.....in the 40 odd years at shoots i have seen 5 shooters die basically through excessive exhaustion and i did my best to resucicate a 40 odd year old game keeper who suffered a heart attack, its quite a tramatic thing to resusitate someone and they start talking only to see them slip away....would i sooner pay another tenner and see some of the stress taken out of the shoot, perhaps like Southdown some seating, better quality food, refreshments halfway round like Southdown.....

Yes i filled the questionaire in.....I have been shooting the Beretta for 40 years, i don't think its got better, just that it shines out because most of the others are poor.

Dennis

And to answer the question on driven targets, grounds should not be unnecassary exposed to being sued for what really is an avoidable accident......you just cannot devise a stand that could be dangerous, i think most of us have seen the dangers in the past....there was shrapnel clays hitting shooters, unaceptable and left the ground exposed to both civil and i believe criminal exposure, if it was found out later in court that this sort of low driven targets are no longer acceptable, they certainly are not in fitasc, we all know if you shot them early then the other spectators and shooters could be hit. make it 10 ft higher and its safe, why take the risk.

Dennis

Dennis:

1. Lose some weight/exercise.

2. Put a bottle of water and a snack in your bag.

3. Go to the toilet before you start.

4. Please, for the love of god, stopping ******* and moaning about every single shoot you go to. There's no wonder more grounds can't be bothered with the hassle of putting these things on.

:good:

Yes the driven bird at the Beretta was very dangerous. But it does not need to be like that at all especially at Meon Springs a farming environment. All it requires for any driven bird is a overhead netting around the vicinity that the waiting shooters and spectators stand. Gamebird aviary netting or strawberry netting is cheap and ideal.

Don't ban driven birds, do a risk assessment and manage the situation.

There is always going to be a problem with green field sites and bringing them up to the standards that meet H&S requirments.....the game plan is simple if there are concerns do away with it, i can see by that last remark salopian that you have little or no experince in this area, but i am an expert, when dealing with large crowds at one off events cause all sorts of problems, its far better to appoint someone just to go over the whole event prior to its start just to check areas of exposure, if you read the articles of insurance cover for these events its fairly clears as to what is expected and aiming clays directly at participants is not one of them.

As much as i love Southdown i had to endure a lot of pain to ensure that it met with H&S requirements, that is the reason i don't sit on any committees any longer. I don't shirk my responsibilities, i spent many years in the emergency services and saw the needless waste of life because someone got it wrong.

I loved Meon springs, compared to Fitasc it offers great value, the weather was a shame, with a little fine tuning it will be as great an event as it was many years ago, i am enjoying my return to English Sporting this year, and i am surprised it has not travelled as well as fitasc, but then the CPSA plays a large part in that.

Dennis

Footnote :- Just imagine an accident occured on the driven stand and the ground was sued for a serious injury say a loss of sight on a spectator who just happened to be cleaning there glasses at the time the battue deflected trajectory. The ground owner relied on just the Ref telling shooters to beware of broken clays...Imagine the field day the Court would have, it wouldn't end there, there could be a criminal prosecution for lack of care.....

This isn't scare tactics, its the real world of litigation, grounds have to be aware of there responsabilities to the general public, we all accept that there are hazards with clays that can change direction and end up in the crowd, peak caps, glasses should be mandatory at every shoot, where ever you are on the ground. We have to ensure that accidents are a rare occurance on shooting grounds.....espically sporting shoots.

Dennis

Dennis,

Once again you are talking a complete load of rubbish. You have never lifted a finger to help any ground, you have only ever bleated.

Gleneagles and WMSG Hodnet throw driven birds every day without accident or incident.

But of course you always know better than any one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you wonder why we are not in the Olympics, did you shoot the Beretta :unsure: Of course i know better, Its a gift. When you discharge a clay such as a battue or rabbit at speed with a low trajectory, its an accident waiting to happen, make it higher and the **** falls out of the area....And Phil what have you really got to laugh about :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dennis

And you wonder why we are not in the Olympics, did you shoot the Beretta :unsure: Of course i know better, Its a gift. When you discharge a clay such as a battue or rabbit at speed with a low trajectory, its an accident waiting to happen, make it higher and the **** falls out of the area....

And Phil what have you really got to laugh about :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dennis

You Dennis, like most others on here., you make us smile, laugh, plenty will agree :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW congrats on your team place, well shot :good: :good:

Dennis,

Once again your off on a tangent, talking a load of rubbish.

So in your tiny world (which comes about because of your tiny mind) we should not have driven birds, Battues, or Rabbits???

I think if you were to shut your mouth more, engage your brain and think before you speak or write, you would find the World a far friendlier place.

As it is you always seem to wind someone up.

It doesn't seem like five minutes ago when you were moaning about the selection shoot at Coniston, now it's Meon Springs.

Do us all a favour Dennis and stay at your beloved Southdown.

As any course setter worth his salt will tell you, you can present any type of target and make it challenging and safe by knowing your job and doing an efficient risk assessment.Then eliminating or reducing the risk to an acceptable level to not cause harm.

A presentation does not end when the target as flown or rolled and been shot at, it ends after the broken pieces or the complete clay have travelled through a suitable area and landed in a safe place without any possibility of causing harm to others.Including spectators, competitors, officials, live stock and property.