Zeroing problems

Olliesims

I need to get a new scope for it anyway as it was stolen from my .22, so will buy a nikko nighteater cheap and cf rated, so Theres one down will buy a couple of different makes of ammo in different weights to try, just a box of each, so there's 2 possibiltys down, the barrel is fully floating with mod and bipod on so I know it's not that, I'm going to try leave 3 minutes per shot to let it cool down, I have friends who are extremely good shots that I can ask for help, if that all fails I'm not sure what I'll do? Maybe become another howa hating tikka loving forum user :D

do this first;

slightly slacken both action screws, hold the barrel and bump the butt on the floor gently while holding the barrel. Still retaing downwards tention tighten screws. Sometimes the lug is not in contact, with practice you can feel when it is. Check bolt handle is clear of stock slot. You wouldn't be the first to be zeroing with loose action screws BTW ;) if you find they need no loosening

i think. 1.scope,2.ammo 3.shooter 4. bedding 5. mechanical fault in that order if you feel you are competant enough

Edited by kent

Whilst not wishing to confuse the situation, I have had more than one barrel not 'floating' enough!

I never rely on the paper thing! If it is a floating barrel on my guns it has to be more than 1/16"!

If your investigations lead you to think it's where the problem lies you could pack the fore end tip with card to create a pressure pad and note how the gun groups then

I have heard of folk using plasticine to make temp open sights to test a gun when a scope is suspect and they are on a budget! Might be an option!

Best wishes.

U.

Hi, I'm having problems zeroing my new rifle, I bought a howa 1500 .223 and zeroing it is becoming a pain in the bum, I've tried zeroing it with 2 types of ammo Ppu and hornady, I put 2 shots on the board and see I have to move inch lower 3 to the left once I've changed it I fire again this time it's 4 inches top right corner 5 inches right everytime I try correct it it just moves around the board but I can get a nice 1cm group with the first 2 rounds then they just open up... I'm using a old nikko mountmaster from my .22, is it the scope causing me problems? Or just unlucky with 2 types of ammo?

had same problem with ny 22-250 tried 3 scopes on it have the bore scoped at your gunsmith for rust especialy if you leave on the mod like i did ended up scrapping it ouch