bsa lighting help

dannyp0666

hello all. i am haveing a bit of troble with my sons bsa lightnig.

i have given it a full service with new spring, seals and it dose not seem to be shooting right.

it seems to have droped a lot in power since it has been done. i have tested it and it is only shooting 10.1fp

and advice would be a big help. thanks

i have given it a full service with new spring, seals and it dose not seem to be shooting right.

it seems to have droped a lot in power since it has been done. i have tested it and it is only shooting 10.1fp

Which spring please?

I only ask because I had a Titan spring from new collapse from the get go!

U.

You state new spring so I guess that's it.you may wish to add a few washers in the piston to add weight and preeload ,start with 2 washers correct size as your not far away from limit.most tuning kits include them for finer ajustment.good luck.

It might just need bedding if you have put a lot of grease in it and the new seals are tight it will take a tin of pellets before it starts to free up. :yes:

It could easily go up 1 ot 2 ftlb after a tin of pellets what is the recoil like. ???

I have had it in the past were putting an OX or TITEN spring in a gun has caused more recoil and less ftlb than the original spring. :sad1:

HAPPY :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Can I ask by changing the spring did it get rid of the twanginess as I have the same gun and don't like using it :no:

The lighting has always been BSA work horse for vermin control but has always had a repp for being twangy. :yes:

Only having it tuned might make it less twangy and a lot smoother but i would spend the money on a HW 77 or 97. :yes:

HAPPY. :shoot::shoot::shoot:

howdy both my mate an me have lightnings bought together less than a year ago,an while i like the size an style theyre nowere near as strong as bsa claim,the best i can get is 9.32 ft/lb with rws superfield and 9.29 with rws superdome.mine fired about 2,000 slugs an my mates lightning is no better.so were do they get this 11.5 ft/lb from is beyond me.but i still like it.

not sure if they still do them, but i brought one of the first lighting late 90s i think and fitted a theoben gas ram made a lot of difference less recoil and was a lot quiter ,the shorter barrel sups power but as said let the spring bed in i found with short barrel air rifles you have to choose you pellets carefully

Edited by pboro shot

I fitted a Titin spring. It has a bit more recoil but not much more than normal. It's had a tin of pellets through and still no good. Am thinking of going down the gas ram route.

Why keep spending money on a lighting :crazy: a gas ram will be £60 to £70 and it might be smoother but no more power. ???

The Air Chamber on a lighting isn`t that big so it will be very hard to get it up to the 12 ftlb mark. :sad1:

You would be better of getting your son an HW57 they are a full power light weight springer that`s very accurate and HW quality NO CONTEST it will wipe the floor with the lighting. :drool:

It'll do 12 allright!

If you used a standard spring it needs more preload, probably more than a 1/4" of washers. Add some lead if you want too.

These short strokers need the spring to over come any piston bounce from the compressed air. Often the cause of some twang!

U.

Why keep spending money on a lighting :crazy: a gas ram will be £60 to £70 and it might be smoother but no more power. ???

The Air Chamber on a lighting isn`t that big so it will be very hard to get it up to the 12 ftlb mark. :sad1:

You would be better of getting your son an HW57 they are a full power light weight springer that`s very accurate and HW quality NO CONTEST it will wipe the floor with the lighting. :drool:

So hard that BSA do them FAC rated for export :yes:

So hard that BSA do them FAC rated for export :yes:

How much do you wont him to spend :balloon: and export model is a totally different animal. :yes:

Different spring--piston--piston weights--and other mods and hard to cock and they kick like a mule. :yes:

How many second hand FAC lightings have you seen i have seen **** all. :yes:

Hatsans and Cometa have to bring the power down from 22 ftlb to under 12 ftlb to import them in to the UK :yes:

Thanks for all the advice. Am not that clued up with air rifles a would not know where to start putting washers and that lol

Take the spring back out (Iknow it's a pain on these) and add some washers into the piston where the spring drops in. Bar stock can be cut, brass or steel. I have used lead between washers too. Check the power after.

If it gets coil bound and won't cock you may need to remove a coil. Check the replacement spring has not collapsed, seen that before too.

My recent stock xl tac shot rubbish untill I did the above, just under 12ft/lb and super accurate.

Good luck.

U.