Shooting on a Sunday

All wild birds are protected on Sundays and Christmas Day, under the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. No deer, rabbit or game may be shot on a Sunday or Christmas Day.

Not sure if the BASC have given me some duff info,but I had a query about lamping rabbits. They sent me a email saying

"Rabbits and foxes are not subject to any closed seasons or Sunday/Christmas Day prohibitions therefore they can be lamped all year round."

??? ??? ???

Not sure if the BASC have given me some duff info,but I had a query about lamping rabbits. They sent me a email saying

"Rabbits and foxes are not subject to any closed seasons or Sunday/Christmas Day prohibitions therefore they can be lamped all year round."

??? ??? ???

you can shoot vermin at nearly any time or day but game has some restrictions

??? ??? ???

I also thought that foxes and rabbits could be shot on Sundays.

I never bothered though, would hate to lose a permission if a farmer I was shooting for didn't take too kindly to it.

Just a wee update. I emailed Firearms today and this is what they sent back;

It is an offence to kill any wild bird or any game on Sundays or during the period commencing one hour after sunset on any day and ending one hour before sunrise on the next day.

Firearms & Explosives Branch

A simple yes or no would have been fine

Just a wee update. I emailed Firearms today and this is what they sent back;

It is an offence to kill any wild bird or any game on Sundays or during the period commencing one hour after sunset on any day and ending one hour before sunrise on the next day.

Firearms & Explosives Branch

A simple yes or no would have been fine

That's open to interpretation. Rabbits are vermin and not game, plus lamping them is legal meaning you will be shooting after sunset and before sunrise. I think the reply they have given you is typical of the firearms branch. They never give a direct answer in case they are wrong. My understanding is that the only things that can be shot on a Sunday are targets. Don't know where rats fall into the equation though as they cannot be misinterpreted as game.