Disco fuel economy

ack-ack

Yes

Td5

30-33

Lpg on a petrol is poor.

Quote from the main lpg guy round my way.Switch to petrol when going uphill,towing and overtaking.This was on a 4.0l p38 rangerover that was doing 17mpg before he played with it and then 12 after.And you will use more fuel finding stations with lpg.

Parents have a 53 plate td5 diso 30-33mpg driving like an old **** whilst towing a caravan.

Had ours written off a couple of months back but we had an R Reg Disco 2.5l tdi. I reckon we averaged somewhere in the mid to late twenties on short runs and she ran comfy at 70 on the motorway. I loved it and so did the kids - Gave £1,500 for it at a second hand car dealers in Essex and then spent another £1,500 making sure it was mechanically sound and all the bits worked nicely.

Getting a bonus at the end of this month and will be off shopping for another one.

Yup, td5 is the way to go, I really liked mine...if you can - try and get an ARB and coil spring equipped model instead of the ace and airbags - they are problematic and you will not notice any difference in handling - they had a small issue with oil in the injector harness but it's an easy fix and not expensive.

Great cars! I drove a few jap things (pathfinder, shogun, landcruiser) when looking to change and none of them can touch the disco for out and out practicality and drive feel - although the disco and landcruiser are in a higher price bracket you can tell what you get for your money.

I'm not die hard land rover but I do seem to keep going back to them! (had 4 now!) Must be a reason why!

Regards,

Gixer

200s and 300s both return about 29/30 to the gallon . My 300 is doing about 26 mpg with mud terrains fitted

I'm soon on the lookout for a td5 as am sure it needs too much welding for the mot and I just can't be bothered . It's a shame as its never let me down mechanically it's still fine

I average between 30/33MPG in a 53 plate Disco.

Only had it a few months but absolutely love it.

Though the ACE system (air suspension) can be expensive if it go's wrong, it does have a big plus point being the car corners very flat, where as Disco's with springs can have a lot of roll on corners. My advice would be to get one with, but that's because I drive mine all the time so ride comfort is important.

There are loads about, try to get someone who knows about these cars to look over it, as repairs can be a little expensive as they can be on any 4x4. Saying that, there are loads of readily available parts for them both new and second hand, and if you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can do a lot of it yourself.

There's a very good forum called the D2Boys club which just caters for Discovery 2's, well worth a read and even asking questions about buying one for the first time and what to look out for.

Great cars :good:

Cos

just saw this link on the D2B club forum http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-52-REG-LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-ADVENTURER-LE-2-5-TD-110K-TAXED-AND-TESTED-/271019916465?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f1a0bbcb1#ht_841wt_1185

Edited by Cosd

I've got a td5 Land Rover and the engine noise was deafening, I took off that big cover on top of the engine, and what a difference, less than half the noise. I thought the cover was to muffle the engine noise, obviously not.

It does about 25-30mpg, and that includes quite a bit of off road work.

I average between 30/33MPG in a 53 plate Disco.

Only had it a few months but absolutely love it.

Though the ACE system (air suspension) can be expensive if it go's wrong, it does have a big plus point being the car corners very flat, where as Disco's with springs can have a lot of roll on corners. My advice would be to get one with, but that's because I drive mine all the time so ride comfort is important.

There are loads about, try to get someone who knows about these cars to look over it, as repairs can be a little expensive as they can be on any 4x4. Saying that, there are loads of readily available parts for them both new and second hand, and if you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can do a lot of it yourself.

There's a very good forum called the D2Boys club which just caters for Discovery 2's, well worth a read and even asking questions about buying one for the first time and what to look out for.

Great cars :good:

Cos

just saw this link on the D2B club forum http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-52-REG-LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-ADVENTURER-LE-2-5-TD-110K-TAXED-AND-TESTED-/271019916465?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f1a0bbcb1#ht_841wt_1185

How much is the road tax mate?

Yes

Td5

30-33

Lpg on a petrol is poor.

Quote from the main lpg guy round my way.Switch to petrol when going uphill,towing and overtaking.This was on a 4.0l p38 rangerover that was doing 17mpg before he played with it and then 12 after.And you will use more fuel finding stations with lpg.

Parents have a 53 plate td5 diso 30-33mpg driving like an old **** whilst towing a caravan.

dont know what system he was using but ive been running a 4.6 on lpg for 3 years now and you wouldnt know wether it was on gas or petrol. pulls like a train on either.town use 17mpg on a run 23mpg.lpg 69p litre...cheaper to run than any 4x4 deisel

• 3 weeks later...

What are 200tdi's like on economy? Sorry for the slight hijack.

My 300 will get 33mpg on the m'way doing about 60mph a 200tdi will average out at about the same as they are similar engines by design

200s and 300s both return about 29/30 to the gallon . My 300 is doing about 26 mpg with mud terrains fitted

I'm soon on the lookout for a td5 as am sure it needs too much welding for the mot and I just can't be bothered . It's a shame as its never let me down mechanically it's still fine

TD5's are rust buckets and are in fact just as bad if not worse than D1's as they're harder to repair, the D2's rear chassis like to rot out from under them and are far harder to repair than the 300tdi

Cheers for you answers gents. TD5 seems to be the way to go. I love car hunting, problem is I've got to flog a few first. Nothing good about flogging a car at all. Had some proper time wasters last time. :no:

Early TD5's should be avoided due to early design flaws, late model ones are very good though as long as you watch out for rear chassis rust

Edited by Dr_evil

• 2 weeks later...

Pursuit spec 2004 Td5, average 520 miles out of tank which is approx 30mpg, had from new now 205,000 miles on clock and still cruises like new at 80+ on M-Ways, yes its sluggish take off but at 2.5 tonnes what would you expect, hardly uses any oil, original exhaust, Mich tyres last 60-70k miles, yes slight rust but no more than other 04 plate 4x4's, amazing to drive in snow, fun in modest water, big family car, and if you can afford one it could well tick your box

I've got a 2003 TD5 auto ES. I've done nearly 30k miles in it. It's averaged about 24mpg in the two years I've had it. It's been remapped so once off the mark it goes quite well. I changed the 18" wheels for 16" and put Grabber AT2 tyres on it. My shoot farm is very wet in places, even now, cattle don't help keeping the fields muddy and have only been stuck once. Relaxing to drive the ACE is excellent. However, make sure you have breakdown cover as it is a Land Rover. At change time I'll look at a D3 or D4.

Edited by PhilR

Got my TD5 auto new in 99 & it now has space ship mileage 349,000 on second engine & box & I have abused the living daylights out off it been of the road now for some time & only use it around the farm but needs some welding at the back of the chassis where it supports the step & rear bumper under stand its a common place for then go ? .

Mine sat out side over winter since last October with out being started & put a new battery on it 2wks ago & turned the key & that started so fast it made me jump ! just did not expect it to so quick ! hope to resurrect back to road use soon , a car is just not the same thing !.

The only people who bitch&moan about them I have found have never owend one ! . mileage is not great around country lanes in the auto but its not bad on long runs up & down the country trouble is fuel is expensive for return journeys to bucks/oxon from Orkney . True take off the engine cover its just a pain in the a"""" & its not needed .

Must take a look at that site you boys mention .

Edited by Pole Star