Growing cucumbers

ditchman

Im growing cucumbers in my conservertory i dont know if they are an indoor or outdoor variety, i have been told if it is an indoor type i must pinch the male flowers out to stop the cucumbers tasting bitter, if it is an outdoor type i must polinate what do i do ?

ditchman

Im growing cucumbers in my conservertory i dont know if they are an indoor or outdoor variety, i have been told if it is an indoor type i must pinch the male flowers out to stop the cucumbers tasting bitter, if it is an outdoor type i must polinate what do i do ?

ditchman

I have a rabbits tail on a stick that I dust round the inside of all the flowers on my pumpkins to pollinate them. I used to do the same for the apples but I've not noticed any major difference since I've stopped.

ditchman

I leave it to the insects and they've not failed me yet :good:

I've got courgettes growing in a tub outside New Seagrave Towers, and so far this year I've had about a dozen flowers. All of which have been male. :oops:

I would love to have something to pollinate, but I suppose I will just have to be patient... :no:

I'm with Malk on this one - leave the conservatory doors open and let the insects do their thing.

LS

:lol:

I've got courgettes growing in a tub outside New Seagrave Towers, and so far this year I've had about a dozen flowers. All of which have been male. :oops:

I would love to have something to pollinate, but I suppose I will just have to be patient... :no:

I'm with Malk on this one - leave the conservatory doors open and let the insects do their thing.

LS

the reason i posted this is that i have been told that if you grow inside cucumbers (they are a diff' strain) you must pick the male flowers off as they will taste bitter...........now when you grow outside cuc's you let mun nature do her stuff..............how the heck can i tell if they are inside or outsde cuc's ....look at "the completegarderners, web blog " site....... and yes i threw the bloody packet away ( they came from an african country) so i will prob' get locked up now !!! :blink:

Hi ditchamn

I tend to sow/grow F1 hybrid all female variety. Sometimes ( very rarely ) they produce male flowers if the greenhouse becomes too hot , these need to be removed asap. This normally happens when the greenhouse becomes far too hot and the palnts become stressed ! Ventilation sorts this out.

Traditional type of Cucumbers. I used to remove all male flowers to prevent pollination of the female flowers sostopping bitter tasting cucumbers.

Outdoor varieties , which ive grown either in a cool greenhouse or more so in a sheltered and sunny location. Outdoor types need the male flowers on the plant as the female flowers require pollination.

My biggest problem has always been Mildew on the leaves with the damp summers

Edited by RedRobin

Hi ditchamn

I tend to sow/grow F1 hybrid all female variety. Sometimes ( very rarely ) they produce male flowers if the greenhouse becomes too hot , these need to be removed asap. This normally happens when the greenhouse becomes far too hot and the palnts become stressed ! Ventilation sorts this out.

Traditional type of Cucumbers. I used to remove all male flowers to prevent pollination of the female flowers sostopping bitter tasting cucumbers.

Outdoor varieties , which ive grown either in a cool greenhouse or more so in a sheltered and sunny location. Outdoor types need the male flowers on the plant as the female flowers require pollination.

My biggest problem has always been Mildew on the leaves with the damp summers

Thanks for that, the conservertory hasnt been hot and steamy this year so far.....all the flowers so far ( 6 of them ) are male, so i have nipped them off, loads of buds on them so will have to wait if the female ones appear...watch this space

regards

ditchman

If after all of this you still get bitter ones this is what to do to make them taste great

place in a bowel

1 finely chopped onion

2-3 table spoons of cider vinger or white wine vinger

1-2 table spoons of sugar

1 large splash of olive oil

Give it a good mix

Thinly slice cucumber and add to the mix above, leave for 1hr then eat with a good salad or on its own.

Michael