Intrepid reels .

vole

Late 50s I think the inttrepid fixed spool range started. I had the Intrepid Junior, auto bale arm closure when the arm struck a piece of aluminium casting on the exterior of the reel. Wreaked havoc with the trout population fishing drop minnow under the banks of the small Tweed tributary near where I then lived.

Blackpowder

I still use a mitchell 300 for Mullet with the drag tuned and teflon washers I got my old man to machine a Mitchell 300 spool out of aluminium as I popped two plastic spools playing Pollack on light line. I also use the old style 300 pro but I had the Intrepid De Luxe

which had a very smooth drag at the moment I have an old 300 ( No line roller) on a six foot hollow glass rod with a through action for summer spinning. :good:

That's the only excuse I need to show my mullet pic (again - eh Rob?) :lol: Look at this beauty. And there's a fish there too!

Mullet640x480.jpg

The spool is alloy. I've no idea whether it is an original Garcia Mitchell part or not, but it fits and works fine. I can't remember where I got the spool from but the reel was given to me by a mate of mine who had it from new and hardly used it. Mostly I use the Match for long range float fishing or waggler fishing on rivers. I'd had a Trudex on the rod on the day when I caught this fish, but the wind was making casting difficult so I changed to the Mitchell.

Approx 20 years ago I fished for Mullet with a Daiwa lightening coil 12ft float rod Abu 1044 synchro drag and 3lb line Every Fish I caught that week beat the Scottish boat record I landed 9 mullet 3 1/2 lb to 6 1/2 lb :yp:This is the best balanced light tackle outfit I've ever used :good: I did'nt claim the record then but I did get the shore record and My partner in crime Mick had the boat record still does as far as I know but once you've attained that record I found that you lose that edge to keep pursuing it.

Edited by vulpicide

my 1st reel was a Omnia i got of my grandfather, it is silvery die-cast,with the bail arm open it hit a small fin on side to close it. i still have this reel but never use it.

as for winfield (woolies) i bought a 9ft carbon fly rod for £9 and this was a great wee rod, it was made in japan and was as light as a feather. incidentally i used winfield nylon which i later learned was made in germany by maxima for them. :good:

• 4 weeks later...

Intrepid reels, crikey, now thats started the nostalgia steam engines up.

Yup had those as a lad and then upgraded to Mitchell 300's and the Holy Grail.......the Mitchell Match. It still gets praise today when it gets an airing. Clever bit of engineering.

The Intrepid "Sea Screech" as we lovingly called them. My late Dad had one, still got it but in very sad state now. He could cast to the horizon or so it seemed at the time, but everyone knew about it.

We both upgraded to Penn Squidders for beach work and I still use them to this day and they have survived over 30 years of use.

My first proper reel was a Galion (Mitchell/Leeda?) which served me well until I eventually poached enough trout to pay for a 300A which I've still got.

God how I wanted to shove in the river those kids with their smooth running Cardinals and their dad's with their metallic red shiny Abumatics! Some were so flash they even had screw in swing tips rather than my paper clip selotaped to the tip after I broke it running through the woods being pursued by the bailiff.

Happy days!

Gillaroo

Edited by Gillaroo

My first proper reel was a Galion (Mitchell/Leeda?) which served me well until I eventually poached enough trout to pay for a 300A which I've still got.

God how I wanted to shove in the river those kids with their smooth running Cardinals and their dad's with their metallic red shiny Abumatics! Some were so flash they even had screw in swing tips rather than my paper clip selotaped to the tip after I broke it running through the woods being pursued by the bailiff.

Happy days!

Gillaroo

Maybe we could start a thread about swing tips?

• 2 weeks later...

I started fishing mid 70s with an Intrepid Extra and an Intrepid Deluxe,well our kid had the Deluxe,but it ended up mine,he was into golf,

when my grandad died,the grand kids got £5 each,so mum and dad got us these teamed up with an E.R Craddock 13ft fibre glass float rod (light green,yellow whipping),with screw eye to take a swing tip,that was mine,,,,,,and our kid had the Daiwa combination rod about six rods in one,(maroon,orange whipping) with his Deluxe,,,,,the we spent many a day fishing Birkenhead Park,,,,,,,memories

• 5 weeks later...