old dog

kirky640

i have an old collie from when i was on the farm she is 12 years young and when she was about 4

she got run over buy a trailed sprayer and it broke hre back leg in 2 places, this was pinned and alined with an outer metal bar etc nuch to my exspence (800 quid) but it was not grudged as she was a good working dog sheep cattle etc and she was a great ratter hated the brown wotsits. anyway she is now alot older and had great use of her leg ever since , but now i see when she has been lay down for the night or had a sleep she is very lame on this leg and even sumtimes carries this leg. have any of you got any home remadys that may help keep her leg supple and in working order??

cheers kirky

LB

Yes you can get them for humans. There are two type Glucosamine Sulphate and Glucosamine?? cant remember. If you are allergic to sulpher based drugs at all buy the Glucosamine?? cant remember. You should be able to buy them for yourself from the local chemist.

Kirky buy your first batch from the vet just get a small bottle of say 50 tablets....then go to the chemist and have him match up the amounts will be much cheaper. Let the vet know that she has gotten stiff in the joints in the mornings and you want to elliviate the uncomfortableness for her.

Or check with Dead-eye-duck and see where he gets his.

NTTF

LB

Yes you can get them for humans. There are two type Glucosamine Sulphate and Glucosamine?? cant remember. If you are allergic to sulpher based drugs at all buy the Glucosamine?? cant remember. You should be able to buy them for yourself from the local chemist.

Kirky buy your first batch from the vet just get a small bottle of say 50 tablets....then go to the chemist and have him match up the amounts will be much cheaper. Let the vet know that she has gotten stiff in the joints in the mornings and you want to elliviate the uncomfortableness for her.

Or check with Dead-eye-duck and see where he gets his.

NTTF

thanks think youre rite probably let the vet give her the once over wont hurt but they are charging about 15 pounds just to look at dogs here =30 pounds a time in and out 5 mins 30 pounds gone i dont grudge the dog the money but do think the vets take the wotsit nowadays

thanks for all youre help

kirky :lol:

LB

NTTF

Have a look here http://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/products.aspx?cat=GLUCOS

Cheers

You can get Glucosamine for humans too. I used Glucosamine tablets when I snapped my achilles, it's supposed to help cartilage and tendons heal. Whether it actually made any difference to me I don't know, but I did heal pretty quickly - about the minimum time the docs/physios said it would take.

Edit - woops, just read previous posts where all this info can be found. :lol:

We give our oldies a mix of glucosamine and MSM, its called Arthri-aid. These products are scientifically proven to reduce pain and inflamation of arthritic joints in humans. In addition we got the vet to prescribe us a big bottle of Metacam, which we give them whenever they are sore after a hard day or in cold weather etc.

We get our Arthri-aid online, but you can get the human stuff from Tesco's, which is fine to give to dogs.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Kirky, Don't suppose you've insurance?, both my older Springers are on Metacam (anti inflamatory liquid) and Seraquin (tablets that help lubricate/ease arthritic joints/hips etc). If not you can buy both on line, Metacam requires a prescription wheras Seraquin doesn't ...you're vet, by law, has to give you a prescription or copy of by the way if you request it, you can then buy on line at reduced prices.

For what it's worth my 11 yr old Springer, (been on both since busting her ligament), charges round like a pup and the 7 yr old with hip dysplacia has shown a marked improvement since taking these drugs.

HTH!

Duncan.

Kirky, Don't suppose you've insurance?, both my older Springers are on Metacam (anti inflamatory liquid) and Seraquin (tablets that help lubricate/ease arthritic joints/hips etc). If not you can buy both on line, Metacam requires a prescription wheras Seraquin doesn't ...you're vet, by law, has to give you a prescription or copy of by the way if you request it, you can then buy on line at reduced prices.

For what it's worth my 11 yr old Springer, (been on both since busting her ligament), charges round like a pup and the 7 yr old with hip dysplacia has shown a marked improvement since taking these drugs.

HTH!

Duncan.

thanks i will look into that cheers :good:

HTH!

Duncan.

thanks i will look into that cheers :good:

Dug out the web address if you decide to take it further...www.petdispensary.co .uk, good luck and I hope you get the old girl sorted.

Duncan.