German Shorthaired Pointer

rkidcj

Rkicdj

Whatever you do dont force him to go into the water - dont even carry him in He will do it in his own time

Try running him through a few shallow pools of rain water when you walk him just so he can get used to getting his feet wet, if you live near the coast try and walk him at the waters edge and entice him with a treat

Hope he gets used to it soon

Good Luck

I agree with highdowns hunter DONT force him into water as this will cause an association with doing something he doesnt want to do and install a bad experience link.

I have in the past filled a dog bed, the large plastic type, with water and left it in the run, this is then used as a positve training/play thing, with a tennis ball or small dummy to give a positive experience and show that water is fun and not to be feared, the throw and fetch ganme is a mini retrieve, fun but also controlled, this is then built on when the traing goes to larger expanses of water.

Hope this helps.

Claydon

Very sound advise given. Another trick to try is to find a shallow beach at either a lake or coast where the water in calm. Let the pup play around while you sit in the water near the edge, in about 4" of water. Start to play fetch throwing the ball to the land he will walk through the 4" of water as he brings it back to you. As he builds confidence and becomes confortable with the water on his legs increase the depth of the water that you are in. If at any time he becomes nervous with the increased depth just slip back to shallower water. DO NOT FORCE HIM. This will usually bring a water shy dog around in one or two days. Remember to use lots of encouragement and praise.

I cannot improve on the advice given, one thing i will say is i have GWP and he was the same at that age. But now hes a year old, he is like a lab in the water. Loves it, all through a softly softly approach in his training.The only bit of advice i could give that has not been said, is no dog has been ruined through taking too long to train him.Quite a lot have been ruined by being too hasty with the training, take your time let the dog dictate the pace of your training. best of luck TC

I have to agree wyth all the previous comments.

I had a springer which would not go near water until she was 2 years old, but when she started she turned out to be one of the best dogs I've had for duck flighting and water retrieves.

So take your time and don't rush the dog, it will all come in time.

Best of luck

Taptap

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lurcher years ago who would not even walk through puddles. Anyway i had to look after my mates 3 dogs one weekend ( all springers ) when out walking the marshes they took off into the drains and my lurcher who was left behind just threw himself in and cured his fear in one moment of madness.

Worth trying!

Charlie