Parking ticket

poorpeet

Round my way where the roads are a bit narrow most people park with the nearside wheels up on the kerb. Today, in a different town I stopped off for 10 min and parked on the road, no parking restrictions and, partly as it wasn't the widest road and partly from habit I popped two wheels on the kerb. I should point out that it was a wide footpath and there would easily have been room for a double buggy to get past with space to spare. Anyway, I came back 15 min later to find a ticket on the car!

I did it so if its against the law then fair enough but I just want to be sure it's not one of those unenforceable made up rules that some London councils seem fond of.

make them show you the evidence i beat 1 that way usualy it says you can opt for photo or video chose photo it maybe unclear and the rules stated that it could be photo or video so dont let them show you video as you have to travel to view it. if you keep this going over a period of thim they give up. im referring to a council ticket if its a police 1 just pay it

Edited by storme37

One of the hospital trusts that employs me has just had me fined £25 for having the audacity to park there the same way I have parked for 5 years . They employed a clamping company to run the parking and did not bother to tell me . Bums .

Guess what , I no longer work there .

Edited by vole

One of the hospital trusts that employs me has just had me fined £25 for having the audacity to park there the same way I have parked for 5 years . They employed a clamping company to run the parking and did not bother to tell me . Bums .

Guess what , I no longer work there .

If it's from a private clamping / parking company then it's a fee / invoice and not a fine in the normal sense.

Council or police = pay

Private company = poke it, as far as I'm concerned.

What was the offence?

Where does it say you cant do what you did and what you got the ticket for?

All offences have to have warning notice and maybe a time plate but if there are no notices you cannot have committed an offence.

Only the police can do you for obstruction and there is no offence of parking on a footway - unless there's a specific notice.

The only prosecutable offence is driving on the footway and they have to see you do exactly that. Parking on the footway does not allow prosecution for driving on the footway.

The key is, what is it for and where does it say you cant do that? If there's a notice and you ignored it - pay it; if not, ask why you got the ticket as you were not aware this was an offence as there are no warning notices. See how they react.

Cheers

Yeah the council are really going to put a notice up on every single pavement in london..as mentioned, read rule 244 "You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs"

Are you sure its the Council? Rule 244 of what?

Bit more info and less sarcasm would be a good idea.

A basic principle of traffic law is that you must know what the offence is before its committed - what happens if you are a visitor?

I used to manage a traffic team and the law tends to be very specific about these things so, without wishing to cause offence, it would be helpful to know what you are talking about.

Are you sure its the Council? Rule 244 of what?

Bit more info and less sarcasm would be a good idea.

A basic principle of traffic law is that you must know what the offence is before its committed - what happens if you are a visitor?

I used to manage a traffic team and the law tends to be very specific about these things so, without wishing to cause offence, it would be helpful to know what you are talking about.

He wasn't being sarcastic,just stating the highway code.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860?CID=TAT&PLA=url_mon&CRE=highwaycode_parking

If you managed a traffic team i would have thought you had a basic knowledge of the highwaycode.

All visitors driving in a foreign country are expected to know the traffic laws of that country,i lived in germany for over 8 years,there was no excuse for not knowing their traffic laws.

All you had to do was type RULE 244 into google.

In response, the Highway Code is not Law - it can be cited but it is not an offence to park on a footway without specific legislation as I have said.

Only a policeman in uniform can determine that an offence has been committed by parking on a footway, causing an OBSTRUCTION - see my previous posts. In narrow streets the police tend not to enforce obstruction (as with riding a bicycle on a footway) because often it helps traffic congestion and in the case of cyclists , is safer.

The Highway Code is not an enactment,, its guidance so I suggest you also look at 'parking and the law' and dont be so quick to quote something and be offensive when your own knowledge is rather limited.

Just do a bit more googling but make sure you put 'offence' in it.

In response, the Highway Code is not Law - it can be cited but it is not an offence to park on a footway without specific legislation as I have said.

Only a policeman in uniform can determine that an offence has been committed by parking on a footway, causing an OBSTRUCTION - see my previous posts. In narrow streets the police tend not to enforce obstruction (as with riding a bicycle on a footway) because often it helps traffic congestion and in the case of cyclists , is safer.

The Highway Code is not an enactment,, its guidance so I suggest you also look at 'parking and the law' and dont be so quick to quote something and be offensive when your own knowledge is rather limited.

I googled this...

"Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. An explanation of the abbreviations can be found in 'The road user and the law'."

I have not stated the highway code is law.

But if you want me to be smart then most of the rules in the code are legal requirements,these are usually identified with the words MUST/MUST NOT and if they are disobeyed a criminal act is committed,so even though it is there for guidance there are legal requirements within it.

Rule 244 states MUST NOT,so it would be a criminal offence.That rule is specific to London,and when you look at how narrow some of the pavements are it makes sense.And the OP asked about parking on the pavement in London.

So next time you tell someone the highway code is just guidance you should heed your own advice and look it up.

Oh and i wasn't having a dig at you just responding to your post,i didn't think the other poster was being sarcastic just stating a point,and pointing it out,i'm not here to argue.

Diceman got there before me :good:

Edited by welsh1

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

[Law GL(GP)A sect 15]

Seems pretty cut & dried to me too...

It seems we are both right. This is due to a London-wide Traffic Regulation Order which I have to admit I was not aware of, so my apologies for that.

The quote below is from a website which explains parking law in London.

"Footway parking is an area where London is different from the rest of the country. Outside London if parking on a footway or verge is prohibited then there must be a sign indicating the prohibition. Inside the Greater London area all footway parking is prohibited unless it is specifically exempted and signs indicate that you may park partially or wholly on the footway."

So there we have it. Apparently, as with other things, ignorance is no defence !

However, for the OP there is some hope ! this website offers to contest your tickets in London - ticketbusters.co.uk.

You would certainly get done for it where I live, and quickly! There is a camera van that drives down this road at least twice a day. Thats about all they do all day is catch builders and plumbers vans. You won't even know you have been caught for about two weeks.

Another one they catch a lot of people on now is no vans, some 4x4s or trucks over ten years old allowed within the emissions zone which is roughly the whole of the area inside the M25. You see a sign but it just says "emission zone" then there is a number plate recognition camera. I think thats about £2000 fine

Edited by Vince Green

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll just have to pay it as there is a rule & and I did break it.

Just annoying that I was not aware I was breaking a rule and I only did so in order to make life easier for other road users.

What's the old saying? 'No good deed goes un-punished'