Japanese knot weed

Alpha Mule

We are seeing more and more of this stuff around here.

I want to get rid of it from our land and I reckon I could be onto a good earner with the local farms too.

However: I believe you need special training and more importantly certified to deal with the stuff.

I've seen that the best way to get rid of it properly is to cut the stems and inject poison into what is left. Cutting the stalks will get you a heft fine and getting my hands on poison will most likely prove difficult too.

So do any of you lot know where (South Wales preferably) I can get trained and certified, or at least get more info than the govt are handing out. The best I have found to date is from adverts from folks who will charge an arm and a leg, but not interested in taking on potential competition to teach them.

Edited by Alpha Mule

The way to treat is to spray with glysophate, cut and lay where is, and repeat. A lot. It will take years for it to go. Deal with it all the time through work.

Oh, and its not an offence to have it on your property, but it is an offence to cause or allow it to spread, so be aware of that and how to avoid spreading the stuff.

There is no specific Qualification required for the control of JK but you will need to comply with the Environmental Agency code of practice.

As its classified as hazardous waste though you will need controlled waste certification to transport and dispose of it as well as an EA licence to use certain controlling herbicides..

Most of the stuff we can get our hands on doesnt really touch it. :no:

My companies Clients have spent a fortune on removing and controlling this stuff over the last 15 years literally millons. It is so incredibly labour intensive becasue the only way to eradicate it completely is to dig out every last Rhizome and incinerate it.

Unless you can invest in the proper equipment, waste carrying, transfer, disposal and herbicide use licences you are probably wasting your time to be honest.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Depending on where you are located in S Wales, Bridgend College (Pencoed) offer PA1/6 which is a 3 day course with 2 assesments at £360, and it would be me training you.

However, over the last 2 years especially, all the back to work schemes have seen endless people provided with free training, so the market has become flooded with people with PA 1/2/6 and chainsaw tickets with no work to use them.

And to be honest i dont think that many farmers would pay for the service, many farmers are either dairy (as we all know, operating with very very tight or no margins) or sheep farmers, again operating with tight margins. Most farmers are quite content to for knotweed to be present in margins / hedges etc and encroachment into fields is naurally kept in check by livestock as sheep / cattle / horse and goats etc will quite happily graze on young shoots

Sorry to be negative dude, the link below is a very good guide on knotweed however.

All the best.

My link