Pellet grouping test with my HW100s 177

Hunter 001

Pellet grouping test with my HW100s 177. whaich pellet to go for.

I have used five different pellets at 35 yard and 46yard.

Pellets in order

1-Air Arms Diablo Field 8.4 grain 4.52

2-JSB Exact 8.4 grain 4.53

3-RWS Suoperfield 8.8 grain 4.51

4-H&N FTT 8.64 grain? Head size

5-Crosman Premier Hollow point 7.9 grain? Head size

All pellets were test at 35 (Zero Range) and 46 yard apart from Crosman P as they open widely so it was left.

Each pellet was shot in two groups of 5 shots each. Eachtest was done at 180 bar but no barrel clean between different pellets. Allpellets direct from tins, no washing, weighting or lubing. Only deformed pelletexcluded.

Now after all testing I am not sure which one to go for.H&N FTT perform poorly despite high expectation and I have to say I wantedthem to perform good so I shot another three 5 shots group (not included inpicture) and results was same or even worse.

AA seems the best but RWS and JSB exact not bad.

Which one you will go for and what is you experience with HW100 177 if she got one.

And finally is above groups is what you expect from HW100.

post-58293-0-39943400-1343319766.jpg

Edited by Hunter 001

I dont use a HW 100 but I use a HW 97kt and the RWS superfields or superdomes were always my pellet of choice , but having run out and not being able to pick any up at my local shop I thought I would try the AA diabolo field and I must say I was very impressed, the RWS grouped well but the AA were superb a ten shot string at my zero of 30 yards could be covered with a 5p piece literally and that is some going for a springer. also at 8.4 grain they are very quick.

I tried RWS Superfield and was hoping for good groups as they are well-priced, they performed similarly to AA Diabolo Field in mine, as per your own results, but mine tends to perform best with Mosquito's - quite convenient as my HW97 favours them also. Trouble is I'm struggling to get Mozzies at the moment so experimenting with Falcon accuracy plus.

Thanks all for reply. As you see from picture my current group with three different pellets at 46 yard is almost 5 pence size but I was hoping for even smaller group and may be this is too much even with HW100. I may try RWS superdome and AA with head size 4.51. Anybody tried AA 4.51 in HW100?

• 9 months later...

Thanks for comments. Yes it is measured 40 yards. I think I got used for my Hw100s now. It is 177.

In previous post here below my 46 yard group was not that good but I was try to find best pellets. My gun did well with both RWS super field and air arms.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/216018-pellet-grouping-test-with-my-hw100s-177/

I used JSB's 4.52's for the last 2 years.But the last 2 tins I got just wouldnt group :no:

So Itried some Accupells which were very good.But now I have just tried out the crossman Premier Ultra Magnums 10.50 grms and all I can say is....I have found a pellet to stick with :good:

When I first started using my Hw100 I was using AA.But got fed up with paying out for a tin and chucking half away as they were damaged.And I couldnt get a tight group with them either.

I have a HW100 and mine prefers AA IN 4.51, worse with 4.52, the best other pellet I found was PAX DEFIANT HFT it's a new pellet and totally different shape, it's as good as AA 4.51,if not better

Defiants been around years mate , good pellets if they suit your barrel but very light weight take a lot of wind to, Knats **** knocks um off .

Defiants been around years mate , good pellets if they suit your barrel but very light weight take a lot of wind to, Knats **** knocks um off .

It's a trade off, you look at the flat trajectory of a light, fast pellet and decide if the extra windage is worth it. If you're great at judging distances then a heavier pellet can be better for you, if you're average then a lighter pellet might be best. My Phoenix 0.177 groups stupidly well with JSB heavies, but in the field I prefer a lighter pellet that is more forgiving if I misjudge the range.

You're wrong mate, sorry!

Defiant HFT are a relatively new pellet, 8.5 grns so heavier than AA fields and JSB Exacts.

Getting some fairly good comments but I haven't tried them personally.

The older lightweight Defiants I believe are 7.5 grns, they are available in 3 different head sizes, very good in some barrels, not in others.

i haven't been shooting for years and I'm sure they have ,but i ordered some after reading a review on them in an airgun mag,where he was trying out their new version,

• 2 weeks later...

i use AA,S 4.52,s in my HW 100, to me when i use them its cruel to all the other people in the gun club with there fancy this and that at so many thousand pound guns.to me the hw 100 has to be the most accurate standard 12 ftlb air rifle ever built. and at the right price as well,,,