Combines

I notice the combine has just started today on one of my permissions on the corn. I could see plenty of pigeons in woods surrounding. So I assume I need too get onto the field asap ?

This is my first year pigeon shooting so all bit hit and miss literally.

Was doing ok when the fields were sown but been quiet since the crops have grown

I notice the combine has just started today on one of my permissions on the corn. I could see plenty of pigeons in woods surrounding. So I assume I need too get onto the field asap ?

Was doing ok when the fields were sown but been quiet since the crops have grown

if you're the only one shooting that land mate, i'd give it a week or two before shooting and let the pigeon numbers build then you should bag up.

Have you read the terms of the general licence recently?

Yep, for prevention of damage to crops, pigeon will return to anywhere they find food, be it stubble or drilled crops or young crop.

Completely legal, and pigeon are shot this way all over the country.

Once they get a gut full on stubble, being animals they'll return and wreck the place all year round....I guess you don't pay for the drilling and sprays.

Edited by kyska

Technically shooting pigeons on stubble is illegal as you are not protecting any crop on that field.

I don't think it matters. Either your protecting next years crop, or another field - it need not be the same field. I could shoot a pigeon on land I might have adjoining a crop field - I'm protecting my neighbours' crops.

I did say "technically"

But that means nothing 'technically', why say that? We all know 'technically', do you not shoot on stubble, I do, and will kill as many birds as poss over the next 3 months, I know when we drill and the winter rape pops up they'll cost us another wallet full of damage.

The GL is stop numptys blatting pigeons in their back garden for eating bird food or for something to shoot at, not farms losing 10's of grand a year to vermin damage.

If they are combining wheat today, I would be looking at it tomorrow morning.

The birds will find it quick enough, especially if it is near to woods.

You will not shoot any more birds by waiting and the Farmer could be discing/ploughing that in on Monday.

If they are combining wheat today, I would be looking at it tomorrow morning.

The birds will find it quick enough, especially if it is near to woods.

You will not shoot any more birds by waiting and the Farmer could be discing/ploughing that in on Monday.

Load of rubbish!

Its the same as fishing, if you can pre-bait a swim and let the fish : 1. find the food and 2. become comfortable and group up then youll catch more.

Watch the dvd's and listen to the experts including the late, great mr. Archie Coates and they will all tell you to let the numbers build and youll achieve bigger bags.

Load of rubbish!

Its the same as fishing, if you can pre-bait a swim and let the fish : 1. find the food and 2. become comfortable and group up then youll catch more.

but if all the bait goes in 24 hrs do you go to the baited area after a week :oops:

Watch the dvd's and listen to the experts including the late, great mr. Archie Coates and they will all tell you to let the numbers build and youll achieve bigger bags.

Im thinking you need to watch the DVD's again young man :yes:

No.....why is this sooo hard to understand?!

its combined and LEFT ALONE for a week, therefore as pre-baiting, the birds are able to: 1. find the food (stubbles) 2. group up and 3. become comfortable feeding on that field with no pressure for a week.

You dont feed the field, the food is already there!!!!

Edited by carpentermark

No.....why is this sooo hard to understand?!

its combined and LEFT ALONE for a week, therefore as pre-baiting, the birds are able to: 1. find the food (stubbles) 2. group up and 3. become comfortable feeding on that field with no pressure for a week.

You dont feed the field, the food is already there!!!!

If you get 300 + pigeons feeding on a field a day do you think after a week there will be food left :o

Combines these days don't leave much behind trust me ;)

Edited by magman

If you get 300 + pigeons feeding on a field a day do you think after a week there will food be left :o

Combines these days don't leave much behind trust me ;)

dont need to 'trust you', i shoot pigeons every weekend over 6000 acres.

ever since i started shooting ive been told, and read, and watched fellow shooters saying "let numbers build" seems to make sense to me?!

just passing on words of wisdom from some very wise, very experienced and much better shooters than ill ever be.

Take it or leave it, im not here to argue.

Edited by carpentermark

for what its worth i see both sides of the debate. on as growing crop then yes let numbers build. but as cranfield say the stubble may be gone very soon with todays farming methods. probably best to liase with the farmer although he will be a bit busy at the moment :yes: and find out whats happening in the said field and also make sure no one else is sniffing round to beat you there :good:

Edited by aga man

personally i would get out there and start shooting it soon as,

if you leave it a week there may be other fields near by getting combined during that week so when you do start to shoot it they will soon clear off to one of the other newly cut fields to feed where they are not being shot at,

if its the only field in area cut with food readily on the floor they will find it,

just my opinion but hey i am no expert,

good luck what ever you decide mate

colin