Olympic opening

utectok

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was great. Funny, self deprecating and impressive. It made me puff my chest out a bit. Big respect to Her Maj for parachuting out of that Helicopter too! Seriously, what a good sport she is for allowing them to film that. I wish I'd had tickets.

I think PW is full of of right miserable old whingers who couldn't see the good in anything if their lives depended on it. Still, I suppose even that it a traditional British attribute, maybe it should have featured in some kind of misery tableau? If Danny Boyle was looking for negative, depressing, doom mongers to tell us all how **** everything is he'd have been spoilt for choice on on here.

:stupid:

I thought it was excellent, although I wonder if the whole world understood the entire theme.

The urns becoming the Olympic flame was particularly good.

The only down sides were the rapper (I hate rappers), Macca and the time it took the teams to march in.

As someone else has already mentioned, as soon as the first team was announced I had a flashback to the Lee Evans routine. :lol:

Womens 10m air rifle is on today at 9am BBC1, 11am Olympics channel 10 then mens 10m air pistol again channel 10, 3.25pm....lets see how much coverage there is :yes:

The BBC have over 20 channels,showing EVERY sport(so they claim)all you have to do is scroll through the red button menus 'til you find the one you want.

Today there is Mens 50m rifle prone finals 11.55-12.50(BBC olympics 23)and mens 25m rapid fire pistol finals 2.25-3.35(BBC olympics 23). :good:

Edited by Scully

well I liked the start of it the countryside/industrial revolution bit and I thought It would of carried on like that through the ages but you can tell the rest was done by an ethnic peace crisp comity. After that amazing start they just emptied out the stadium and just had people prancing about for a bit, why? whats with the stupid james bond videos? and great ormand street? i half expected a giant M to appear and say im lovin it. What the hell was all them people prancing about that house with 2 black people texting about? then the inventor of the www. appeared for no reason. I said to my partner if someone from another country watched this they would think Great britain was a black country full of rappers and whatnot. I thought the fairy tale bit was half bummed, harry potter? why not alice in wonderland/junglebook/peterpan?

What cheeses me off is it had a good start and should of been much much better. If they really wanted to appeal to multiculturalism why not focus on say the abolition of slavery? that was all us that was :)

I agree with Pimpkiller. It was all going far better than expected until the HNS nonsense. Why do some people think this country is defined by over-staffed ineffecient sovietised public services. Our country is great in spite of such things, not because of them.

And the music was dire. Rap, dirgeful Brit-pop and a vegetarian pensioner who wasn't much good when he was young. Our culture has more substance than that. Where was the band of the Royal Marines or massed Scottish pipers or Vaughan Williams? And if we must have a warbling dolly bird get one that can sing. What's wrong with Katherine Jenkins?

Top marks for imaginative touches like the cauldron and the forging of the rings (very impressive and life-like), shame that right-on PC student union politics had to creep in like a bad smell.

As for the young mixed-race mobile phone addicts falling in love in someones loft, the less said the better.

It was superbly choreographed and artistically excellent, but bloody hell it was overall dark and durgy. It portrayed the UK as being only 'down't pit' or unemployed dossers. There was so much that could have been done. Way too much focus on industrial revolution. What about the digital (not teenage texting) age, the growth of the UK and London especially as the capital of the financial and business world. Or what about manufacturing, we made some of the best cars in the world once, or what about more emphasis on.... Hmmmm oh yes, SPORT!

Danny Boyle mussed so many opportunities to portray GB in a positive light. In the end it was more like a sequel to trainspotting!

Rant over

Edited by Chr15j