First fishing boat??

MM

So, looks like ive got the go ahead to buy my first fishing boat :ernyha: Only thing is, ive no idea what im looking for. Ive fished on boats for years, and feel confident that ill be able to manage, but what type of boat/motor combo should i be looking for? All the other tat like seats and bits i can sort out, and ill be doing my research into what radios and electrics ill be needing. Its all very exciting stuff :lol: I should add, that ill not be launching it alone, there will always be at least 2 people.

All depends what you want it for. It's like asking what car shall I buy. You could get change from a couple of grand if you just want to potter inshore, if you want to thump out 30 miles and spunk £70 in fuel then its Big ole' Warrior all the way.

Whats your budget?

Edited by ack-ack

All inshore stuff, just messing about on the river types. )yes, i know messing about is dangerous, its a joke). enough space for about 4 people, half a dozen rods, and some bits for fishing. Nothing massive.

budjet about 2K

All inshore stuff, just messing about on the river types. )yes, i know messing about is dangerous, its a joke). enough space for about 4 people, half a dozen rods, and some bits for fishing. Nothing massive.

budjet about 2K

Check out Appolloduck.com its a veritable boat jazz fest. You can get everything from a kayak to an aircraft carrier. (slight exageration but you will get my point when you start looking).

If its inshore calm weather pottering I'd be inclined to go for an all ally v-hull. 12ft you could car top but you wont have much space. 14 ft open will fish two and seat three easy. Wont need more than 10 horse to push it along. They hold their value very well so may as well buy new.

EDIT: If its just for the river get a flat bottom

Edited by ack-ack

Best bit of advice is to take somebody along that knows what they're looking at Martin. Cheap boats are cheap for a reason but thats not to say that paying more gets you more. Do your homework and if possible join a club first. They tend to look after their own.

Just remember, buy a banger and drive it on the road and it breaks down you can call a taxi or get the bus . There ain't no buses at sea !!!

But enjoy it boating is superb, I have a bonwitco 450 , 16ft unsinkable cabin fishing boat with a 30hp 3 cylinder yammy on the back. I couldnt wildfowl without it

Edited by daz2202

now thats the thing. im all for finding a watertight boat, but im more for making sure it has a good running engine. If i wanted something like a seahog, whats the ideal engine? Its just inshore costal stuff, nothing that you can land a helicopter on.

Go and do an RYa level 2 coastal course takes 2 days well worth it! £2k should get you a Shetland cuddy for that sort of money for night use must have lights and aux engine... Normally a 10-25hp engine + 2-5 HP spare perhaps a few extras, a trailer if needed and a big cooler full of beer!

The boats spec will list engine type and size, all down to weight and length etc IMO mariner 2 stroke are good, and 4 stroke aren't worth the extra unless you use it alot

Edited by HDAV

now thats the thing. im all for finding a watertight boat, but im more for making sure it has a good running engine. If i wanted something like a seahog, whats the ideal engine? Its just inshore costal stuff, nothing that you can land a helicopter on.

Seahog shortie is a good ship, quite heavy though, I would say 30hp min and 40hp perfect

Boat = Where do you mainly intend using it, local? .. North Wales? .. etc .. Hull type .. self draining desks? .. Gunnel height? .. Transom rating? etc

Cost = Do you intend on buying new or secondhand? .. do you intend on buying a package or buy separate, as in locate a trailer, boat, engine, electrics etc ... cost in you're Insurance (indemnity and Boat insurance) .. work your cost of running the boat at £1.50p per mile on water plus cost of trailering it to the launch site, plus maintenance costs ... Electronics pack (if buying a secondhand boat it maybe in the package), if not you need a VHF radio DSC marine .. fishfinder or preferably a chartplotter which combines a fishfinder and navigation ... various anchors, soft sand, mixed ground, rock, shingle etc plus enough rope and spare rope, Anchor marker buoy with Alderney ring (and being able to use it safetly), plus stainless steel fittings to suit ... consider alternative form of propulsion (auxiliary engine) ... also consider what type of main engine you intend on using, 2 stroke or 4 stroke ... twin batteries, twin fuel tanks are useful .. Bilge pump and an alternative form of bailing, it doesnt have to be twin electric .. Electrical bait tank is not essential but very handy! .. Keep an eye on the weight of the package and check if it needs a braked trailer (its likely it will and that the trailer tyres are commercial tyres (often they aren't commercial tyres fitted to a secondhand trailer & spare tyre (skimping on money) can cost you the boat if it blows out at speed, insurance probably wont pay out! ..Life jackets, new or having been serviced by a qualified registered person ... flares pack inclusive of parachute flares and audiable fog warning .. obviously I've missed out things but they are what springs to mind

Training = you mentioned you have experience, have you you're RYA certificate (you would need it to launch form Wirral slipway, they only issue permit to holders. VHF DSC operator course, presntly not compulsory but in truth essential. The launch permit is full cost unless you are a memeber of a registered boat club, in other words you dont get the discount (Wirral launch only) .. thats not straight forward, there is an imaginary club that exists, you can join to get the discount, by amazing coincidence, it's run by the people that issue the permits :lol: .. wonder when they have their annual meets and AGM :no: .. but they say it's a club and they issue the permit, so who watches the watchers :hmm:

I've sea fished for about 45 years and had a number of boat, presently having owned the current one for around 8 years ... it takes years to learn the Mersey and Liverpool Bay. When to hit the marks and when to leave them and move to another one.

There are members in the WBAC that can run circles around some of the commercial boat lads on the river,

Boat wise there are many good ones, it depend on your budget, don't go under 15ft and don't go under 40hp if you intend on mainly using it in the Mersey. If you have fished for years on boats you will know you cant anchor the River Mersey in anything over 27ft or your asking for trouble and your engine will struggle, the size of the moon will tell you if you can fish or not in the Mersey!! .. N Westerly & S Easterly winds are a pain on the Mersey.

There are lots of boats that are okay, Warriors are one, so to are Raiders and if your budget wont stretch that far consider Alaska 500 .. don't let ANYONE tell you they have the perfect boat because there hasn't been one built yet .. 16ft-19ft is about right, any bigger and recovering is a pain in the harris, engine wise 50hp - 90hp ... my preference are 4 strokes, I've had brand new Yamaha 2 strokes and they are reliable and some will say that there are two strokes that are presently made that are economical, though these people tend to have a mental disorder, but yea they do pop the boat up on the plane quicker.

Take your time choosing and remember it's got to be towed and launched so you will need a 4X4 .. yea they can be roped out using a car but you will be very limited as to where you can launch/recover and once the car tyres start to spin and if you decide to recover on a flooding tide you are risking it big time.

Enjoy your time getting into boat fishing, I competition boat fish, its not for everyone but I enjoy it, we are off to the Rosslare boat festival early September, we fish it every year. These are some of the very best boat anglers in the UK & Ireland competing against each other and the Wirral Boat Angling Club members have won it numerous occasions ...

Thanks Hoggy :good: Some good advice all round really. Ill not be launching in the Mersey, as having fished there for years, ill be fishing the north wales coast where my caravan is. There is a club just up the road from where it will be kept, at Prestatyn. I was going to go have a word with them and find out about wither joining, or paying for their launch. Not a massive on for towing, so id rather they did it for me :good:

look into the colwyn bay victoria sea angling club they were always hot on that coast area mart..they used to run the annual bass festival too.....pick the brains of wirral boat angling club particularly richie stead or keith pemberton both sound guys..whatever you do not the guy bit further down your road he's just dangerous.. good luck and have fun :good: :good:

just to add Safewater training are in new brighton mate

Edited by bi9johnny

Some very,very sound advice there.

You might consider taking a look at boats by Orkney.

I`ve got a 13ft Spinner which is quite adequate for relatively sheltered inland waters.

Most of their more modern offerings are semi planing but it`s worth having a look at the traditional displacement hulled 16ft Orkney Longliner if speed is not an issue.You can pick them up second hand for quite reasonable prices.

You have to remember that, if you want speed it comes at the expense of weight of engine, with all that that implies for launching and recovery and,sometimes,frighteningly expensive fuel consumption.

Mart,

I bought a speedboat, chucked what I thought was all the "unnecessary toot" in my shed then did the RYA 2 powerboat course.

After I did the course I got all the "unnecessary toot" out of the shed, bought more toot and kept it all safe back in the boat in case of emergency. (first aid kit, flares, towels, waterproof phone case, tools, oars, anchor etc etc)

We got rid of our speedboat, it was a big mission to launch it and needed constant maintenance (eventhough it wasn't that old). If you haven't got a very committed friend or wife then having a larger boat that you launch is a struggle. I did consider getting a larger boat and keeping it on a mooring but you get weed build up and they are expensive to crane in and out for antifouling etc.

We now have a small 3.6 avon rib with a 25hp mercury two stroke. It is on a roller trailer so it easy to launch and as much fun to drive as the speedboat. The mixing of the fuel and oil is a bit of a pain but the two stroke engines are lighter and a bit more pokey.

No one has said this yet, so here goes -

What are the best two days of boat ownership?

1) The day you buy it, 2) the day you sell it!

:good:

EDIT:

A few things to add. Never under estimate how much colder it is out on the water. Never under estimate how quickly the weather can change. I have left in bright sunshine and returned in a hail storm :lol::good:

Also, if your budget will run to it, I would seriously consider getting a boat with a small cabin / cuddy up front. My missus and kids were constantly grizzling about how cold they were on our bowrider.

Last thing, whatever you do, insist on everyone wearing a life jacket / bouyancy aid.

Edited by ME

For £2k for family use and fishing i wouldn't get a RIB (fun as they are have a 3.45m with 25hp engine) as you go up in boat size and engine the weight increases this makes solo launching tricky and fuel costs go up, if fuelling inst a big issue, and there is a bloke with a tractor to launch and recover you then a bigger boat is less effort. All as much hassle as each other....

£2k is a tight budget and there will be lots of **** and "projects" worth asking around at clubs local to where you'll be fishing as they may well know of members who are selling something suitable. Mixing oil for 2 stroke isn't a real pain as long as you buy even amounts of fuel and the larger engines are often "oil injection" and have a second oil tank so no pre mixing.

"""pick the brains of wirral boat angling club particularly richie stead or keith pemberton both sound guys.."""

lol :lol::lol::lol: ... that's who we go to Ireland with :lol::lol::lol: ...

Burt Williams is members secretary, he's your man for joining (and he shoots as does numerous members of the Wirral Boat Club) ... meets every Wednesday at 8.30pm, club house is the West Cheshire Sailing Club house by the RNLI ... hope to see you there mate

• 2 weeks later...