magnet not pulling

Matt Gould

i have took my magnet out every outing pigeon shooting this year and it has ot pulled birds once yet i have tryed it in different places and everything the area im shooting the birds have not seen a magnet much so carnt be that. all what are working for me at the moment are flapper. Is anyone else experiancing this ? or does anyone know why it might be? from what i have found out my self the magnet works in the winter time but not very oftern in the summer weird

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most things different days different ways , magnets can put birds off one day but attract on another , placement, speed and importantly willing pigeon.

Rule of thumb if it doesnt work pull it in or change things around.

Watching and studying the birds reaction to magnets , flappers and decoys is the important bit, and learning from their actions what may be the best thing to do and what not to do on the day .

Keep at it :good:

excactly the same with me, in the areas me and my mate shoot we have the flapper a floater and a few deeks which always work, there are several boys who pigeon shoot in this area and i have only ever seen one rotary used........been shooting this area now for 30years...i have given up wondering why

............. :hmm:

I have just had an afternoons decoying on rape stubble. I saw several hundred birds on the field when I arrived and after twenty minutes they started to drift back but always out of range at between 60 and 90 metres. None were interested in the rotary or the other decoys but they all drifted on by, not to another stubble but to sit in a line of trees 200m away.

This is the third such experience in the last three outings on fields where I have the sole shooting rights so the birds have not been put off the rotary or shooting in general.

This time of year on stubble try just a few decoys out first without the magnet and see what the birds do , if they pass by at a distance then add the magnet after ensureing that all else is ok ,decoy layout, hide , cover etc.

Never expect any gizmo to magicaly bring the birds to gun, some days a gizmo will seemingly magic them in other days more of a gizmo bird scarer.

Pretty quiet on my rape stubble yesterday I just had 7 Fuds out one of them a dippa, what came along decoyed well, some dropping and landing in the pattern un-noticed, a magnet would not have improved the decoying at all and would have been un-nessesary what would have helped was me shooting better :blush:

I have just had an afternoons decoying on rape stubble. I saw several hundred birds on the field when I arrived and after twenty minutes they started to drift back but always out of range at between 60 and 90 metres. None were interested in the rotary or the other decoys but they all drifted on by, not to another stubble but to sit in a line of trees 200m away.

This is the third such experience in the last three outings on fields where I have the sole shooting rights so the birds have not been put off the rotary or shooting in general.

It sounds to me like you weren't in the right place. I bet if all the birds were going to those trees, a move there would have seen the pigeons decoy.

flappers seem to be the way forward at the moment

I have never had much problem using a magnet. I use one for pretty much every decoy session i have. I find - as decoying is much easier in summer than winter - that right now is when the magnets work best, especially on laid crops or stubble.

I used two magnets in my pattern today, and shot a decent bag of 62.

i witnessed a local chap decoying the other week and i have never seen birds so suicidal.

I decoyed the same field the day before with just shell decoys and i shot just under 30, the magoirty of the birds just passed by to the other end of the field. Thoese that decoyed did so text book but most were not interested

This chap had 2 rotarys out and it pulled EVERY bird i could see. He must of ended up with 200+ easily. For the 30 mins i watched through the binos i counted near on 50 birds that i saw drop / explode. And he was there all afternoon. I could hear him from my back garden banging away like a machine gun right up to 7pm!

so yes they work and CAN work very well. But as said what works one day wont the next :good:

It sounds to me like you weren't in the right place. I bet if all the birds were going to those trees, a move there would have seen the pigeons decoy.

I have never had much problem using a magnet. I use one for pretty much every decoy session i have. I find - as decoying is much easier in summer than winter - that right now is when the magnets work best, especially on laid crops or stubble.

100% agree :yes::good:

I find it works best away from the decoy pattern, set up so as the birds head towards it, they will come across your decoy pattern before they get any were near the magnet.

100% agree :yes::good:

I find it works best away from the decoy pattern, set up so as the birds head towards it, they will come across your decoy pattern before they get any were near the magnet.

I agree with this.

I hate magnets, unreliable bird scarers, but the last few outings only seem to have come to anything because I had a magnet out.

Drive you crazy.

i have took my magnet out every outing pigeon shooting this year and it has ot pulled birds once yet i have tryed it in different places and everything the area im shooting the birds have not seen a magnet much so carnt be that. all what are working for me at the moment are flapper. Is anyone else experiancing this ? or does anyone know why it might be? from what i have found out my self the magnet works in the winter time but not very oftern in the summer weird

i use a magnet with good results 95% of the times i use it some times having to try not to shoot it because the pigeons are more or less trying to land on it. the only time it dont seem to work is when the battery starts to die and it slows down, the faster the better maybe.

where should i have it im my pattern then ?

normally if the wind is in my back i have it infront of me about 20/25yds out, or if the wind is left to right i have it to the left a bit and vice versa generally at the front of my decoy pattern. this is what works for me but other people may say different. as is always said trial and error, buti do think faster is better than slow.

Unfortunately I could not set up close to the trees where the birds were landing as they were 200m away at the other side of an uncut spring barley field.

OK, now you have watched Road Runner haven't you? What you need to do is feed the pigeons iron filings, wrap wire around your magnet and attach it to an electrical power source, then you can pull the birds from the sky...

Alternatively you need to find where the little feathered nuggets are landing on flattened crops and try it there....

Edited by secretagentmole

Pigeons didn't like the rotary today, I've watched people use them, and also seen the pigeons nearly fly into them as they have been pulled by them, I never seem to put them in the right place. Il just keep trying and trying and asking for help, tips and hints on PW

I have just had an afternoons decoying on rape stubble. I saw several hundred birds on the field when I arrived and after twenty minutes they started to drift back but always out of range at between 60 and 90 metres. None were interested in the rotary or the other decoys but they all drifted on by

same thing happened with us today it was really strange how decoy shy they were, rape was cut thursday nobody shot at them friday, but today they just didn,t want to know

magnets, flappers etc are all top inventions i think, my mates swear by them,they think with out them there would be no point in going shooting.but to me if the birds are feeding and you set up at the right time,right place the birds just pile in,even with 6 shiney plastic decoys,my magnet at the moment isnt just pulling them like it can do,just certain days they just dont work the same.my best ever was 205 picked up, i used 10 cheap decoy shells 20 years ago,never beat that even now we ave all the mod cons.

I hardly ever start with the magnet these days. I like to see how the birds respond without, in fact sometimes I don't bother with decoys at all. I think being where the birds want to feed is paramount. Thursday I watched birds dropping into a patch of badly grown wheat, then set up next to it with no decoys. Birds soon came back to the same spot - why bother with decoys or a magnet? Only later did I use a couple of birds on floaters to try and pull in birds flighting past.

An aside, bumped into another pigeon shooter on another bit of land on Wednesday who had driven two and a half hours to come shoot in Lincolnshire as he had no pigeon shooting in his part of the world....take my hat off to anybody who is willing to travel that far for shooting! Said I would try and recce a decent spot for his next visit, want him to shoot some birds if he is travelling that far!