world sporting

mikeyp

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there another way? lets hear it. The event needs a far bigger entry, we have 2 years to get it together.

Dennis

Fair comment Den, it would be great to see lots more entries from France / Belgium / Holland, but they don't seem to have any interest in English Sporting, I think they perceive it as "too hard..??"

They only seem interested in Compak Sporting or FITASC events, which is a pity because a good few of them are very talented shots and could give our best a run for their money. :yes:

Cat.

I am sure that if the formula was tweaked to be a bit more like the Beretta it would get the interest of overseas shooters, i was dissapointed with the target quality at this years World, Steve did his best with a green field site, platforms and some elevation but it seemed a bit rushed, perhaps it should have been split like Goodwood, Dyson doing the Sportrap, Keith Roe or Arnie doing the prelims, more effort put into the main event, if i was the CPSA i would employ a sporting expert, plans submitted for each layout, no over lapping layouts, no stupid birds, silly rabbits and really part of the course on an established ground with all the facilities, perhaps Southdown with some new ground and a guest course designer....And sponsor some of the overseas teams, remember the French wanted to come into the Home Internationals, it was Ireland and Joe Woodcock that blocked it .

Dennis

Dennis,

For once in a long time i have to agree in what you have said :good: :good:.

Inviting other grounds/target setters to help develop stands for such a Blue ribbon event is the way forward.

It would make it a true world event & would enable us to show the rest of the world how it should be done :drool: :drool:

Mossy

that should happen for all the majors, use any ground you like and then stipulate the targets are then set by someone else. this is the trouble with places like southdown you only have to go once a year and 10 stands are the same as what you shot the previous year, no wonder the locals shoot big scores there.

I am sure that if the formula was tweaked to be a bit more like the Beretta it would get the interest of overseas shooters, i was dissapointed with the target quality at this years World, Steve did his best with a green field site, platforms and some elevation but it seemed a bit rushed, perhaps it should have been split like Goodwood, Dyson doing the Sportrap, Keith Roe or Arnie doing the prelims, more effort put into the main event, if i was the CPSA i would employ a sporting expert, plans submitted for each layout, no over lapping layouts, no stupid birds, silly rabbits and really part of the course on an established ground with all the facilities, perhaps Southdown with some new ground and a guest course designer....And sponsor some of the overseas teams, remember the French wanted to come into the Home Internationals, it was Ireland and Joe Woodcock that blocked it .

Dennis

the appeal of the worlds this year to me was the fact it was on virgin ground, and the likelyhood it wasnt going to be 200 skeet. there were no targets that were stupid or unhittable, ok a couple of overlapping targets but nothing to really worry about.

It just doesn't work on virgin ground, far too expensive for just 700 shooters, if you are an experience shooter emmsy and you analized the targets, only 50% were good 25 % mediocra, and 25 % poor.....some shooters were told they could shoot the rabbit on the ground and we were told that it had to be shot in the air.....On a greefield site Steve done about as good as he could, with so much presentation you run out of ideas, that is why Meon was spot on, put a super sporting on some of the stands, single targets, variables with so much going on you need to spice things up otherwise it gets stale and un interesting. Why put the marque on the side of the hill, why not up the top on level ground, but that only reinforces staging it on a reconised ground, bus the shooters out to green field layouts, but bring them back to the hub, where its all happening. My wife was stuck in the caravan all day because i could not get back to pick her up.

Dennis

Dennis,

Why is it that every thread that you write is always a complaint?

You complained about the Coniston England selection shoot, Hodnet, Meon Springs, and now the World.

Perhaps if you helped to organise an event, you would find something to your taste.

Why don't you organise a shoot at Southdown of a format similar to Neville Jay's events using John Dyson as your ground manager?

When you travel 400 odd miles to a shoot and its not up to standard what else can you do but try to complain to someboby, i made my complaint to the course designer Keith Roe, i never had a go at the ground staff or Refs, but Coniston have basic mistakes that gave the impression that the course designer did not take proper care, the complaints were so bad that Coniston won't hold any more major shoots. The complaint at Hodnet was the pace of having to shoot with no break midway, it was the same at Meon Springs, Southdown had refreshments half way round, is that really too much to ask on a hot humid day. I cannot comment on the Essex Masters because i can't shoot 200 in one day.

Steve did his best at the World you cannot ask for more, there is just so much you can do on a green field site, then look at the mammouth clean up operation after the event, it just doesn't work, only Brunton ever got it right but at an horrendous costs. Its just not viable for 700 shooters, it all ends up quartering going away, When are the CPSA ever going to do away with stupid cages at these events, and just have the stand with restrictions, perhaps a screen, when you are left handed you definatly feel at a disadvantage.....

What they should do is employ me as a consultant at there next major, it would be spot on then.

Dennis

When you travel 400 odd miles to a shoot and its not up to standard what else can you do but try to complain to someboby, i made my complaint to the course designer Keith Roe, i never had a go at the ground staff or Refs, but Coniston have basic mistakes that gave the impression that the course designer did not take proper care, the complaints were so bad that Coniston won't hold any more major shoots. The complaint at Hodnet was the pace of having to shoot with no break midway, it was the same at Meon Springs, Southdown had refreshments half way round, is that really too much to ask on a hot humid day. I cannot comment on the Essex Masters because i can't shoot 200 in one day.

Steve did his best at the World you cannot ask for more, there is just so much you can do on a green field site, then look at the mammouth clean up operation after the event, it just doesn't work, only Brunton ever got it right but at an horrendous costs. Its just not viable for 700 shooters, it all ends up quartering going away, When are the CPSA ever going to do away with stupid cages at these events, and just have the stand with restrictions, perhaps a screen, when you are left handed you definatly feel at a disadvantage.....

What they should do is employ me as a consultant at there next major, it would be spot on then.

Dennis

Coniston didn't stop holding shoots because of the complaints from shooters, they stopped holding sporting shoots because of the abusive foul language given to some of the referees and office staff. from Auntie.

Indeed, but if I was the ground owner and it was popular and making a shed load of money.... well I might start with dealing with the behaviour before throwing the baby out with the bath water.

It just sounds odd to suggest it was behaviour of a few rather than some other reason which clearly it must have been...,

What we all tend to forget and ground staff should try to remember as well is its a competitive sport to many of its participant, it involves passion and commitment.....sometimes you turn around and look at the ref and see there reactions to a poor dicision and they look gobsmacked and shocked. to them its just a sport and you should accept his or hers dicision gracefully and with dignity.....But to you its the end of the world, Coniston lost the plot they thought it was just another shoot and we should all accept what they put out as acceptable, we should all be gentlemen, to be fair it wasn't really that bad, but i hate it when you cannot see targets because the wrong bird was put on report.

Dennis

this is all old hat now but to be fair 1 ref in particular at coniston that day did deserve the abuse he got!

the only gripe i have about the world sporting was on the sportrap, we had an absolutely useless ref on 2 layouts and sadly you see him at just about every big shoot.

this is all old hat now but to be fair 1 ref in particular at coniston that day did deserve the abuse he got!

the only gripe i have about the world sporting was on the sportrap, we had an absolutely useless ref on 2 layouts and sadly you see him at just about every big shoot.

Emmsey, Your absolutely right it is old hat, but we are still a sporting ground down in the north 'cause some dope doesn't know when to zip it. from Auntie.

Yeah One less and the best one we had in my opinion. People just seem to blame anyone and anything if they cant hit the targets end of the day its you pulling the trigger :hmm:

this had nothing to do with scores, this was the fact the ref lost a bunch of cards and those who's cards it were, wernt too happy when it took them over 1.5 hours to shoot a stand! id be a bit savage too, especially after when they questioned it he found the cards and put them to the back of the queue!

Returning to the thread about "THE WORLD SPORTING", does anyone know why there was NO mastercard provided to the Refs on the second day !!!

This is one of the main factors which the CPSA stipulates to grounds when holding Registered events ???

we had mastercards on 2nd day on blue course