SLoes where do you find em..

Lancs Lad

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LL

I was walking back from Decoying on Friday and spotted a load on the bushes, my mum uses these for Sloe Gin, they are not quite ready yet, If I can get some I will let you know.

Regards

Dave66

Ill take a walk around my permissions and see if I can find any.....Mostly hawthorn hedges though with the small red berry types, not any of the black looking goodies.

LL

I was walking back from Decoying on Friday and spotted a load on the bushes, my mum uses these for Sloe Gin, they are not quite ready yet, If I can get some I will let you know.

Regards

Dave66

Ill take a walk around my permissions and see if I can find any.....Mostly hawthorn hedges though with the small red berry types, not any of the black looking goodies.

i was told that you should wait until after the first frost to pick sloes,if there's no frost you should wait until they are blueish/black(no green),***** them with a fork and put them in the freezer before use.

andrew

LL

Regards

Dave66

i was told that you should wait until after the first frost to pick sloes,if there's no frost you should wait until they are blueish/black(no green),***** them with a fork and put them in the freezer before use.

andrew

you got to get to them befoere the birds do. its no good waiting for a frost with all this global warming. and pricking them is a very tedious job believe me. this is the reason of putting the sloes in the freezer as this splits them allowing for the flavour to come out when sitting in the gin.and when you drain the sloes from the gin it is advisable to use an old pair of tides this is better than a sieve as it doesnt let any of the glunky bits through thus giving you a good clear tipple.oh and there is a bumper crop around my way this year aswell as blackberrys damsons and crab apples :P

LL

Regards

Dave66

andrew

I usually pick them early October round here, make a nick in the skins with a sharp kitchen knife. Reminds me that I've got about 5 litres from last year to filter off and re bottle.

They are from blackthorn bushes / trees.....

Ive got my pictures....time to go a hunting........

We're going on a sloe hunt, sloe hunt, sloe hunt.

We're going to get drunk, drunk, drunk.....

not until next year :):lol: if you can wait that long

Guest Wildfowler

A tad early here to pick them. There is no need to ***** them if you are to put them in the freezer. The freezer will do that!

Tip: Use brown suger not white.

A few countryside recipes including Sloe Gin on HERE in Countryside Recipes section.

They are from blackthorn bushes / trees.....

Ive got my pictures....time to go a hunting........

We're going on a sloe hunt, sloe hunt, sloe hunt.

We're going to get drunk, drunk, drunk.....

not until next year :lol::lol: if you can wait that long

Have to stick them up in the loft..........................or under the stairs when they get to the monthly turning cycle...

A tad early here to pick them. There is no need to ***** them if you are to put them in the freezer. The freezer will do that!

Tip: Use brown suger not white.

A few countryside recipes including Sloe Gin on HERE in Countryside Recipes section.

Agree on the brown sugar, we always use the very fine stuff as it seems to dissolve better.

Just watch out for the bloody thorns :drool:

They are just about ready here and as sour as a stare from john prescott :)

So can someone please elaborate on the making of Slo Gin so i can give it a go as i can get a fair few slo berries from near my Brothers AND near a local camp site :angry:

Thanks in advance

LG

Yes they are,

It is best to leave them as long as possible. But the birds will get them, normally the day before you go to pick them. :angry:

put equal quantities of fruit and gin in a large bottle (demijohns are ideal) with some sugar. I put 700g of fruit, 700ml of gin (a bottle) and 350g of sugar. I also put a piece of cinnamon bark in as well.

Leave for about 6 months, give a good shake on a daily basis.

Cheers

Martin