Lancs Lad

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Just watch out for the bloody thorns :lol:

They are just about ready here and as sour as a stare from john prescott :P

So can someone please elaborate on the making of Slo Gin so i can give it a go as i can get a fair few slo berries from near my Brothers AND near a local camp site :lol:

Thanks in advance

LG

LG, Get yourself a couple of bottles of the cheapest Gin you can find.

Pour it into a suitable container(s) I use Kilning Jars

Add 1LB of unwashed sloes (that have either been pricked or frozen to break the skin) for each pint of Gin

Add 1/2 LB sugar (any sugar will do I prefer raw cane sugar) for each pint of Gin (the sugar can be increased if you like it more syrupy or decreased for a nice tang...experiment to find out which is best for you)

Close the Jar(s) and give it a good shake making sure all the sugar is dissolved and store somewhere dark and relatively temp stable.

For the first month shake every day then once a week for another month and then once a month for a further 10 months.

Finally filter back into bottles (you'll have more than you started with) and enjoy

For filtering I use a jelly net (used to filter seeds out of jam) in a sieve.

Hope this is of some use :good:

PS Don't wash the sloes as the whitish powder on them is yeast and this helps keep the alcohol content up.

On the advice of very old, and long time Sloe Gin producer, I am not picking my berries until this weekend.

We have hightlighted a bush with nice big ones on so we can ignore the smaller berreies I originally saw.

The it's off to Costco to what Gin they have in at the moment, and the waiting begins . . . .

this year i don,t think i,ve ever seen as many sloe,s

but saying that beech mast and acorns are already lying

thick on the ground bad news for the pheasants

but should be plenty of pigeon at the back end

I still havent found one bloody tree..................bush...........what ever................

Loads and loads and loads of red hawthorns..............

We have hightlighted a bush with nice big ones on so we can ignore the smaller berreies I originally saw.

Stuartp - If they are much bigger, they are probably bullaces and not sloes - but bullaces make very good gin too!!

Sloes will only grow on old growth - no good looking at places which get trimmed every year!

Stuartp - If they are much bigger, they are probably bullaces and not sloes - but bullaces make very good gin too!!

Sloes will only grow on old growth - no good looking at places which get trimmed every year!

Here are the ones I picked, I am certain they are Sloes but they are definitly bigger than last years, they came from a railway embankment in a remote spot so they seem to have gone unoticed by most people.

Picture is a bit blurred and the 20p is there for scale before some wise **** makes a comment :good:

HPIM0977Large.jpg

Weres the best place to buy cheap Gin then guys?

Young Shot

We got 70CL of Plymouth from Asda (not a pleasant experience!) for about a tenner.

I would disagree with using cheap Gin, "**** in, **** out" as the saying goes.

Do you really want to wait a year for something that doesn't taste any good?